Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quary about back to education allowance,

Options
  • 24-06-2011 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

I am a former student who is now in his mid 20s, I am planning to go back to college next year 2012, I am wondering what qualifies me for seeking back to education allowance, I am not on social welfare at the moment as I am in Europe travelling, Will I be entitled to back to education allowance or any other type of social welfare while I attend full time college education,???

Also if I am seeking back to education allowance or another type of social welfare assistance will I be entitled to a grant from the department of education or any other organization on top of my social welfare assistance

Any info you have would be helping me in a big way???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

DAVIDDOLAN wrote: »
    I am a former student who is now in his mid 20s, I am planning to go back to college next year 2012, I am wondering what qualifies me for seeking back to education allowance, I am not on social welfare at the moment as I am in Europe travelling, Will I be entitled to back to education allowance or any other type of social welfare while I attend full time college education,???

AFAIK, you need to be in receipt of social welfare for 9 months before being able to apply for the Back to Education Allowance.
    DAVIDDOLAN wrote:
    Also if I am seeking back to education allowance or another type of social welfare assistance will I be entitled to a grant from the department of education or any other organization on top of my social welfare assistance

No, you can apply to your local authority to get the Registration/Student Fees paid for, but if you are claiming BTEA you won't be able to claim for the maintenance part of the grant.

Also, when you say 'former' student, did you already complete a undergraduate degree or did you not complete one?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭DAVIDDOLAN

I am a former student who has a national certificate from FETAC in Travel Agency operations, I do not have a degree, Why do you ask?? Will there be any changes in the rules if I do not have a degree, I have been out of education now for the past 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

DAVIDDOLAN wrote: »
    I am a former student who has a national certificate from FETAC in Travel Agency operations, I do not have a degree, Why do you ask?? Will there be any changes in the rules if I do not have a degree, I have been out of education now for the past 3 years.

That should be fine :)

Usually the normal procedure is that if you don't finish a undergraduate degree, but plan again on studying another one, you have to wait 5 years before you can reapply for free fees and grants (aka Second Chance Student)

But if you have a level 5 it would be fine. It can be tricky trying to get full information about it, even I have a hard time getting information sometimes about littler particular details.

So essentially your options for going back to study are:
    A) Free Fees + Reg Fee Paid + Maintenance Grant
    or
    B) Free Fees + Reg Fee Paid + BTEA

Again though, id keep your eyes open when new budgets are announced later in the year (if you plan on studying in 2012) as they may change procedures for application and details regarding Fees & Grants.

Advertisement