Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Small four wheel drive tractors question

• 24-06-2011 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Got no machinery here so I'm just wondering about this. I know there are a lot of older 2wd tractors on the market that are quite good bits of gear for the prices asked. I've taken a bit of a liking to the Ford 4600's I've seen online, well, the ones in good shape anyway :D

I'm not looking to buy because I don't have work for a tractor exactly at this moment in time. What I am wondering about is 4wd tractors? For a person with a small budget what sort of good reliable 4wd tractors are out there? I don't know much about tractors so that's why I ask.

Dad has the 135 but it's parked up most of the year which seems a waste (he'd never sell it, spent a lot getting it fixed up), pretty much just used for pulling a sheep trailer out of one part of the farm.

I think that a 4wd tractor would be much more suitable, but it can't be too heavy as in this part of the world, Connemara, we have quite a lot of soft wet land and bog. My only experience of the difference between 2 and 4wd was on that quad I borrowed, get stuck in 2? Switch to 4wd and drive on out of it.

I've seen the 135 go a few places on the farm, but it's always been in dry weather, and well, look out the window folks....

So, reliable, 4wd, not too heavy so won't wreck the place with ruts.... What to say for budget, I'm not sure, I'm just speculating... I'll throw out 6k as a figure, but if you have other suggestions please include a figure if possible.

I've seen double wheels and over sized wheels on some tractors advertised online, I know double wheels would be common enough not too far from me with tractors hauling turf off the bog, but what're the over sized wheels like? Am thinking of a few things, not bogging down, leaving as little damage as possible, basically the best combination to be able to do some work and get around.

I know, it's a rambling question, looking for food for thought I suppose, wet day and all :D

Thanks in advance,

John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

Something like this John, compact, reliable, nice cab, big tyres. We had two 956xl and they were great tractors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

You'd pick up a good set of double wheels for the 135 for €200 - €300.

For wet land, you need to consider a couple of things when buying a 4wd tractor. The tyres need to be in good condition with good grip. Most importantly, the tractor needs to be light - it won't get stuck if its heavy, but it will cut tracks with its 4wd to get itself out.

In the 1980's, there was a good run on converting the 1 series MF tractors (135, 165,175 etc) to 4wd. But it was a kind of useless attempt as the 4wd was useless on them.

Personally, if I could afford it and I was looking to pick up a small yard tractor, i'd buy something like this:

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/2184820

Out of your budget, and out of mine unfortunately too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

johngalway wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Got no machinery here so I'm just wondering about this. I know there are a lot of older 2wd tractors on the market that are quite good bits of gear for the prices asked. I've taken a bit of a liking to the Ford 4600's I've seen online, well, the ones in good shape anyway :D

I'm not looking to buy because I don't have work for a tractor exactly at this moment in time. What I am wondering about is 4wd tractors? For a person with a small budget what sort of good reliable 4wd tractors are out there? I don't know much about tractors so that's why I ask.

Dad has the 135 but it's parked up most of the year which seems a waste (he'd never sell it, spent a lot getting it fixed up), pretty much just used for pulling a sheep trailer out of one part of the farm.

I think that a 4wd tractor would be much more suitable, but it can't be too heavy as in this part of the world, Connemara, we have quite a lot of soft wet land and bog. My only experience of the difference between 2 and 4wd was on that quad I borrowed, get stuck in 2? Switch to 4wd and drive on out of it.

I've seen the 135 go a few places on the farm, but it's always been in dry weather, and well, look out the window folks....

So, reliable, 4wd, not too heavy so won't wreck the place with ruts.... What to say for budget, I'm not sure, I'm just speculating... I'll throw out 6k as a figure, but if you have other suggestions please include a figure if possible.

I've seen double wheels and over sized wheels on some tractors advertised online, I know double wheels would be common enough not too far from me with tractors hauling turf off the bog, but what're the over sized wheels like? Am thinking of a few things, not bogging down, leaving as little damage as possible, basically the best combination to be able to do some work and get around.

I know, it's a rambling question, looking for food for thought I suppose, wet day and all :D

Thanks in advance,

John

had a good few zetors over the years, the last one was a 5340 i think, around 70 hp 4wd. now i know bits and pieces always go in the zetors but they are actually good tractors and you could even get smaller ones in 4wd, for example a 6245 would be a 60 hp 4wd.. easy get parts for them as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Bloody miserable day here... :(

Re a small 4wd tractor - can I ask why? ;)

I'm in a similar situation to yerself John. Small sheep farm, not much machinery - a 135, trailer & transport box. Oh, big farmer I am :D
    While we would have dry ground, its fairly steep. So I always think a 4wd would be great to have... But then, I know the answer is "I couldnt justify it"
    Sure if you got a 4wd - you'd have to get a new topper, and then maybe a new fertilser spreader, as the one there only takes 6 bags, thats way too small for a 4wd... ;)

I use the 135 as a quad more than anything - for taking bits around the place - fencing, sheep trailer, etc... I do the odd bit of fertiliser spreading and topping, but thats it. So you could say they are the only tractor based jobs I do...

I think if I was to get anything, it would be a 4wd quad. Handier than a tractor in lots of ways, and would do a lot of the work for me. Plus the quad would go more places than a small narrow-wheel-base 4wd tractor would go I suspect...

But then I also think - on a cold wet November morning - which would I use - the 135 with a not-so-bad cab, which would keep me dry for a while at least, or the quad... and then the debate in my head starts again :D

I'd say I'll prob be using my 135 for some time to come. And whilst it isnt nice and new and shiney, its doing the job grand too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

This is your machine:

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/2222963

No idea of price, although I saw a slightly rusty one for about 2.5k a while back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

I know the exact machine you need.

Dont know where the hell you'll find one, or how much you'll have to spend, but you need a John Deere 1850.

It's all the best bits of the 50 series deeres in a miniature package. 50-60 hp 3 cylinder turbo, really light, super nimble as they have the same front axle design as the bigger models which gives ridiculous lock on them.

Spent an hour scraping yards with one a few years back and thought it was the neatest machine ever.

http://www.werktuigen.de/produktinformation/models/1871/john-deere-1850.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I know a lot of people dont like lamborghini but my dad brought a 1056 back in 78 and it has an unreal amount of work and hours put up
    It has no doars windows or bonnets left and was once left parked up in a field
    for a few years put in a new battery and it started and worked with one swing of the engine.
    No problem with frost as its air cooled
    It should have died years ago the way its been treated but keeps on going and going might not be the prettiest of fastest put would be a long way ahead of a mf135 or 165
    probably only worth a few hundred euro but I will never sell it until it dies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭ihatetractors

Would a larger say 500cc quad not be better? would buy a clean machine/ fert spreader/ mower for price of a tractor..!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

What about the small Iseki or Kubota tractors? They are lightweight and don't cost huge money.
    Probably not as quick as a quad to get around but can carry more and do things that quads can't do.
    http://www.agriaffaires.co.uk/used/garden-tractor/1918636/kubota-b7300hst.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

To be fair you'd want to stretch that buget for a bit of quality. A small 4wd Kubota would suit you down to the ground. Unreal light on diesel, tight lock and shuttle makes them tidy in the yard and very light on their feet in bad land. We've a m108s (110hp). Sounds like you wouldn't need one that big but they're a lovely tractor. Have a look anyway! Best of luck with whatever you buy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Hi John

For 6k I reckon 4wd zetor is a possibility, But there are a lot of BUTS
    • Sh1te Brakes:eek:
    • " hydraulics
    • " steering lock
    • " fuel consumption
    • " gearbox/clutch
    • " layout in the cab
    If you are only using it for a few hundred hours a year, it's bearable, it should lift a bale of silage, it will start on a frosty morning. There is lots of room in the cab. I reckon it has a buddy seat because you will need help putting anything on the 3 point linkage! You will never ever enjoy driving it though! My brother had one for years, all I can say is thank God it is gone.

If you are going to hold on to the 135, my advice would be go for a quad.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Here's something I was wondering myself recently - Why don't tractors have permanent 4 wheel drive? Well the few 4x4's that I've driven, dont have.
    Is it to do with the loss of power? When you switch on the 4x4, the tractor losses about 10HP. I was told this by a mechanic recently. Most people never use it unless they get stuck.

Also, outside of tillage, do you really need 4x4? I've only ever got stuck once, to the pt of having to be towed, in the last 10 years. If you know your own land, and what your tractor is capable of doing, can you get by on 2wd? I know a loader recks the front bearings on a 2wd (I changed enough of them). I know people with 4x4 and they say they never switch it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

pakalasa wrote: »
    Here's something I was wondering myself recently - Why don't tractors have permanent 4 wheel drive? Well the few 4x4's that I've driven, dont have.
    Is it to do with the loss of power? When you switch on the 4x4, the tractor losses about 10HP. I was told this by a mechanic recently. Most people never use it unless they get stuck.

Also, outside of tillage, do you really need 4x4? I've only ever got stuck once, to the pt of having to be towed, in the last 10 years. If you know your own land, and what your tractor is capable of doing, can you get by on 2wd? I know a loader recks the front bearings on a 2wd (I changed enough of them). I know people with 4x4 and they say they never switch it on.

The reason is different wheel sizes front and back, fine at low speeds, on my MF 4wd cuts out at 8mph I think. My mechanic says newer tractors are more tolerable to having 4WD on at speed to older ones. Someone might give a more technical answer:o

I sometimes think how we managed without it somedays when we only had 2wd, truth is it every useful, would use it most days, have all 4wds now, won't go back.

i know with my 4wd tractor the traction is pretty unless you have it on, now this is probably down to the fact that the loader is putting all the weight on the front but without the 4wd on she would hardly back up the yard for you..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Here's something I was wondering myself recently - Why don't tractors have permanent 4 wheel drive?
    Fuel consumption would be unnecessarily higher, any tractor I've driven locks tighter with 4wd off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

When the 4x4 is on (with Diff locks off), the torque is split even between front and back wheels. Because the front wheels are smaller, there is greater traction, so in time greater wear on the tyres. That's why, I guess.
    Newer tractors reduce this torque to the front tyres and try to better match traction between front and back....I think..:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

My Brother has a Ford TW20 and the father has a dinky tractor, yet other than spreading Fertilizer, mowing and baling the Matbro Teleram is used all year round.

You say draw sheep, the matbro has a towbar and is 60HP so it can tow (only 15mph, but as fast as a 135.
    It is permanent 4x4 Pivot steer, like a Dumper.
    It is used to feed cattle in the winter and can carry silage bales with ease
    It has good visibility and used for everything on the farm, can scrape yards, rise clay if needed, used for shed painting/gutter cleaning.

CB1122130.jpg

I know several small to medium farmers that rarely use a tractor and have teleporters or loading shovels and would not part with them!

My Brother has a Ford TW20 and the father has a dinky tractor, yet other than spreading Fertilizer, mowing and baling the Matbro Teleram is used all year round.

You say draw sheep, the matbro has a towbar and is 60HP so it can tow (only 15mph, but as fast as a 135.
    It is permanent 4x4 Pivot steer, like a Dumper.
    It is used to feed cattle in the winter and can carry silage bales with ease
    It has good visibility and used for everything on the farm, can scrape yards, rise clay if needed, used for shed painting/gutter cleaning.

CB1122130.jpg

I know several small to medium farmers that rarely use a tractor and have teleporters or loading shovels and would not part with them!

What's it like on parts?
    How many hours per year would ye put on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

reilig wrote: »
    What's it like on parts?
    How many hours per year would ye put on it?

Parts, none replaced in 4 years.
    Hrs per year?
    Hmmm not sure even if the hour counter is working. well cattle fed outside all winter wrapped silage.
    It's also used for collecting bushes which are cut as part of reps every year so I'd guess 10-15hrs per week x 26 weeks and during the summer it's used to stack wraps and carry some in, but that would not be a huge amount of time.

As JohnGalway has a small farm (smaller than my Dad's) I'm giving it as a viable alternative.
    There is a bad version out there, It has a Clarke gearbox if I remember, or vise versa, just be careful on that one.
    Other than that for a small to medium farmer I'd give it 9/10
    Dropping 1 point as it not as fast on a road as a 50kmph gearbox tractor so long hauls of meal etc are not a runner.
    But a few sheep around Connemara would not be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I've no interest in or use for a loader Tac, light 4wd tractor is the machine I'm trying to figure out at the moment.

Saw this: http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/2024315

Presume it's a Case? What're they like?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

i know with my 4wd tractor the traction is pretty unless you have it on, now this is probably down to the fact that the loader is putting all the weight on the front but without the 4wd on she would hardly back up the yard for you..

Not recommended generally, to have 4 wheel drive engaged when tractor on hard surfaces. Is that the orange colour tractor?

I've no interest in or use for a loader Tac, light 4wd tractor is the machine I'm trying to figure out at the moment.

Yea its a Case. They are pretty reliable. I know that a few people on here have good things to say about them.

I know the seller. He's genuine enough. He probably took it as a trade in. I'll bet there's room to move on the price if you didn't want the second set of wheels.

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Not recommended generally, to have 4 wheel drive engaged when tractor on hard surfaces. Is that the orange colour tractor?

no she is red!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/2227495

This would be a very good, reliable option, but the tyres are way too narrow, which would add to the cost and send it way over budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Strikes me as big for what you want.

that's a small big tractor, if I were you I'd be looking at a big small tractor.

if you know what I mean.

50-60hp should be loads, and if you can get the daddy of a small range it'll be a lighter machine than the baby of a bigger range.

Or maybe one of the bigger japanese machines.

This, but on ag tyres for example.
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/2222575

What exactly do you want this machine to do by the way?

Would a landy, some big tyres and some quad accessories in the back be just as good a job?

Advertisement