Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NO NO NO Schools have to include religion classes, forum told

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Dades wrote: »
    That post just weeps insecurity.

"Non-religious in Shock Agreement on Secular Schools".

Blur or Oasis?

Well done. That was really intelligent!

• Moderators Posts: 51,779 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

cursai wrote: »
    And on and on and on......

Ariston!!!

If you can read this, you're too close!

koth wrote: »

Thats actually what i was getting at!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

cursai - other religious posters can at least put an argument together.

Contribute something useful or you'll be gone from this thread.

Well done. That was really intelligent!

I recieved a warning over that post. You tried to insult me and i recieved a warning. You're just proving my point!

• Advertisement

Thats actually what i was getting at!

Thats why I posted the video. It has nothing to do with the topic though.

Care to engage with the discussion?

cursai - other religious posters can at least put an argument together.

Contribute something useful or you'll be gone from this thread.

I gave an argument! YOU didnt. YOU tried to insult me. I'm gone anyway. Your hilarious.

Taken to PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

I gave an argument! YOU didnt. YOU tried to insult me. I'm gone anyway. Your hilarious.

Which argument?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I'm betting that there s been plenty of good arguments from people on this matter in favour of keeping religion in schools. I don't think its necessary myself.but it serves a purpose. Teaching right and wrong to children. Until a good alternative is presented its the only option. Although st the same time. Different belief systems should be covered.
    But like all fanatical belief systems. Atheism and its followers want their agenda in ask areas of society with no consideration for the damage it may cause.id prefer to have catholicism in schools as it has some benefits in the way of life lessons. Than a void. than to start again and fill the gap with 'another' illogical irrelevant and immature belief system such as atheism.
    You may blank ask that out and just say as I expect you will' he's wrong' and insert another request for another repetition of another sound argument given against this threads title. But what would be the point. I wouldn't go into the catholic forum and ask for proof of jesus's existence there. But at least catholicism has a history behind its many good and bad religious merits. whereas atheism just says I don't wanna listen. Like a child who throw its toys from the pram.
    And yes a circle jerk would be the best description. Keep giving yourselves posts on the back.
    So, you're saying if catholicism isn't in schools it will cause damage to society because it teaches life lessons? Care to expand on them? Presumably youre ok with having to baptize your children in order for them to get into a school and having them thought that contraception, homosexuality and sex before marriage are sins. I'm sure there's plenty of other bizarre catholic beliefs.
    I send my child to school to get an education. It's my job to teach him what's right and wrong, not a religion teacher and certainly not a priest.

• Advertisement

Heh. Yet another Catholic who isn't really a Catholic.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

...frightful realization dawns that cursai might have been serious...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

robindch wrote: »
    ...frightful realization dawns that cursai might have been serious...

Eh cursai just threw around a couple of insults and stormed off when he was called insecure. It's crucamim's posts that really scare me, particularly the ones endorsing racial segregation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

yep. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

"Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets."

"And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise."

That seems to be the lines (King James anywho).

I'm sure the word "men" should be taken "in context"

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭crucamim

Didn't the taxpayer end up paying to clean up your church's sins to the tune of almost a billion euro since 2003?

I think it's time to hand over the keys, brother.

Thank you for being so honest. You, and many others, are trying to use the sex abuse scandal to steal schools from Catholics and put defenceless Catholic children into the clutches of anti-Catholic teachers.

Why should all Catholics be punished because some priests misbehaved? Should all Protestants be punished for the Penal Laws?

The Catholic Church did not send out snatch squads to grab children form the streets and drag them off, kicking and screaming, to Catholic schools or Catholic orphanages. It was the State which made use of the facilities provided by the Catholic Church and also by the Protestant Churches. Facilities which the Catholic Church could provide on the cheap because it had use of cheap celibate labour. The State could delegate authority, it cannot avoid responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

crucamim wrote: »
    You, and many others, are trying to use the sex abuse scandal to steal schools from Catholics and put defenceless Catholic children into the clutches of anti-Catholic teachers.

I'm not last time I checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Thank you for being so honest. You, and many others, are trying to use the sex abuse scandal to steal schools from Catholics and put defenceless Catholic children into the clutches of anti-Catholic teachers.

I don't think anyone here is even remotely suggesting that Catholic children should be left anywhere near anti-Catholic teachers, at least without the protection and supervision of the Papal Guard. We may be atheists, but we're not monsters.

I'm not last time I checked.

You might not. Other posters are.

You might not. Other posters are.

feel free to provide quotes of posters suggesting such a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

This thread is beginning to remind me more and more of an episode in Spooks.

• Advertisement

Barrington wrote: »

"I don't think anyone here is even remotely suggesting that Catholic children should be left anywhere near anti-Catholic teachers"

You might think that but I do not share your confidence.

e.g. Senator David Norris has desribed as "indefensible" the law which allows Catholic schools to employ only practising Catholics as teachers. His conduct is especially provocative because he is a member of the Church of Ireland. So far as I know, he has not apologised for the dreadful behaviour of the Church of Ireland which ended the attempts to establish integrated education in 19th century Ireland.

I wouldn't like to see children who actually were Catholics in the hands of expressly anti-Catholic teachers. Children should be taught by unbiased teachers; an anti-Catholic teacher is as bad, to me, as a fanatically-Catholic teacher, just as an anti-Islam teacher is as bad as a fundamentalist Islamic teacher.

We don't want to see Catholic children (though I don't see any children as Catholics, but that's another debate) left out. We want to see all children treated equally, with nobody left out because of their beliefs. The only way this can happen is to provide a fully secular public school system.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

"I don't think anyone here is even remotely suggesting that Catholic children should be left anywhere near anti-Catholic teachers"

e.g. Senator David Norris has desribed as "indefensible" the law which allows Catholic schools to employ only practising Catholics as teachers. His conduct is especially provocative because he is a member of the Church of Ireland. So far as I know, he has not apologised for the dreadful behaviour of the Church of Ireland which ended the attempts to establish integrated education in 19th century Ireland.

Poor Dades

You want the church of Ireland to apologise for stopping attempts to establish an integrated education system, while at the same time calling for segregationist school policies? So they have to apologise for the same thing that you're currently calling for in the public schools?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Right, since my joke answer fell flat, let me try a more serious approach.

Teachers are there to educate the children, not raise them. You want your child to be Catholic, raise them as a Catholic. Tell me honestly, do you really believe that all the teachers in your child's (or hypothetical child's) school is a full practising Catholic? because I have news for you, I know many, many teachers. All of whom teach in Catholic schools, including Religion.

Very few of them believe in God. The rest just say they do to get a job. Same with most of the people who did the teaching courses with them.

If you want to make sure your children get a good religious education, I would advise you to do it yourself at home. Because no matter what school your child goes to, no matter what the teachers say or how often you see them at Mass, you may be sending your child straight into the arms of an Atheist

I'm just trying to put children into the clutches of teachers during school hours.
    So far as I know, he has not apologised for the dreadful behaviour of the Church of Ireland which ended the attempts to establish integrated education in 19th century Ireland.
    Much like you tried to defend your church (for it's conduct as an organisation) when I brought it up earlier. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

you may be sending your child straight into the arms of an Atheist

Dunn dunn dunnnnnnnn
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

according to the catholic church,only they are the only true religion,pope innocent 111,at the fourth lateran council.there is but one universal church of the faithfull. outside of which no one can be saved.pope eugene 1V [1388-1447] a papal bull,the church firmly believes,professes and proclaims,not only jew and heretics and sichismatics,cannot become participants at eternal life,but will depart into everlasting fire which was prepared for the devil and his angels[matt 25;41,so what is the chance of none catholic teachers being allowed to teach in catholic owned schools.

feel free to provide quotes of posters suggesting such a thing.

See post 551.

• Advertisement

You want the church of Ireland to apologise for stopping attempts to establish an integrated education system, while at the same time calling for segregationist school policies? So they have to apologise for the same thing that you're currently calling for in the public schools?:confused:

The Catholic Church in Ireland became an opponent of integrated education in response to how it was treated by the Presbyterians and Anglicans who controlled the Board of Education during the period 1831 to 1859. It was only in 1859 that the Catholic Church in Ireland turned its back on integrated education and has never relented. They were taught the hard way.

Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice, shame on me.

Advertisement