Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC gaming build

Options
  • 24-06-2011 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Thinking of upgrading my PC. I currently own a Dell XPS 720, Q6600 cpu, 4 gig of RAM. It's starting to show it's age, especially now I'm using 3d Vision with it. Originally it had 2 x 8800gs grfx cards in SLI - but I've upgraded this already to 1 560ti GTX.
    So now I want upgrade the CPU, RAM, Motherboard - I'll also have to change the case and PSU. I can't use the exisiting case (shame I actually like the case) because it's a BTX form factor - damn you DELL!!! :mad:
    I can use the existing HDD, Sound card, keyboard, monitor...all that crap.
    have windows 7 installs, so not a problem.

So, here's the parts I'm going to buy:

ASRock P67 Pro3 (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX 101,99 € link

Intel Core i5-2500K Tray, LGA1155 172,72 € link

8GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-12800U CL9 65,40 € link

Cooler Master Elite RC-334 schwarz, ohne Netzteil 33,00 € link

Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B, CPU-Kühler 33,99 € link

Corsair Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 99,90 € link

Arctic Cooling Wärmeleitpaste MX-2 Tube 3,30 € link

Total comes to 510 Euros plus delivery

my budget is about 500 Euros, so not too over. Anyone see any problems with the list? Anything I should change? Any help is appreciated!
    Cheers,
    Bill

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Looks good but the PSU is overkill. The SuperFlower Amazon 550W is more than enough for that setup:
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=24479&agid=1629

You can use the money saved to get a nicer case, such as the HAF 912 or the Fractal Design R3

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭billius

deconduo wrote: »
    Looks good but the PSU is overkill. The SuperFlower Amazon 550W is more than enough for that setup:
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=24479&agid=1629

You can use the money saved to get a nicer case, such as the HAF 912 or the Fractal Design R3

Actually, I should have mentioned...I'm going to use one of the old 8800gs cards as a dedicated phys-x card. Would a 550W be enough to handle this? Going to try overlocking the cpu too.

In that case I'd up it to the XFX Core 650W. Might also need to change the motherboard to one that has SLI? I don't know much about having a PhysX GPU, but I'd guess having SLI is a requirement.

****e...thought the mobo had SLI...doh!! back to the drawing board!
    thanks a mill!! :D

The ASRock Extreme4 is the one that has SLI.

• Advertisement

Anyone having issue getting on to www.hardwareversand.de? Page won't load at all for me now! :(

It was down earlier but its back up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

HWV often go down for a half an hour a week.
    IMO, spend the extra 83c on the retail 2500K. IIRC, they have longer warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

Monotype wrote: »
    HWV often go down for a half an hour a week.
    IMO, spend the extra 83c on the retail 2500K. IIRC, they have longer warranty.

Warranty is the same. But for that price, go for the K, just incase you want to overclock at some point in the future. It's simple, easy and relatively safe these days. *overclocking will/could void your warranty*

Thanks for all the advice lads...really appreciate it! :D
    So, I'm just about to order. Here's what I have (Fluffy88's javascript rocks!):

Total build cost: €543.58 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i5-2500K Tray, LGA1155 €172.72
    8GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-12800U CL9 €65.40
    Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B, CPU-Kühler, für alle Sockel geeignet €33.99
    Arctic Cooling Wärmeleitpaste MX-2 Tube 4g €3.30
    ASRock P67 Extreme4 (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX €130.55
    XFX PRO650W Core Edition Full Wired Power Supply €67.41
    Cooler Master HAF 912 schwarz, ohne Netzteil €70.21

Just one last (stupid) question; I know that HWS will build a PC for you, but if I'm not getting a HDD or Grfx card, can I still get them to build it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

what's the deal with using another card for physx? I have some older cards I could give that a shot with /googles

what's the deal with using another card for physx? I have some older cards I could give that a shot with /googles

Not sure if it's going to make all the difference to be honest! It's just a way of taking the load from the primary graphics card when playing Physx intensive games (like Batman AA and Mafia 2 for example).

As far as I know it's just a matter of putting a card in the 2nd slot and setting it to handle the physics under the nvidia control panel. You don't use the SLI bridge - so they are not recognised as SLI'ed cards. that's the "theory" anyhow! :rolleyes:

it's really just a way for me to use up one of my old grfx cards...it could turn out to be sh*te...but sure at least I'll have an SLI board for a future upgrade.

You could do some before and after benchmark tests to let us know how much of an improvement it gives :)

Sounds like a plan! ;) Have to build the PC first...but I'll keep you posted!

found an interesting thread about it here:
    http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1611569

Could be a bit of a red herring, but I'm willing to give it shot. Even if it works on Mafia 2 - I'll be happy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I've read that with the modern cards it makes little difference having a second card. It would use a good bit of power sitting in your case unused for a long time. IMO, get the few € from selling it, but by all means test it out first.

Monotype wrote: »
    I've read that with the modern cards it makes little difference having a second card. It would use a good bit of power sitting in your case unused for a long time. IMO, get the few € from selling it, but by all means test it out first.

Yeah will do, thanks for the advice! Hopefully I'll have a decent enough system at the end of all this, so this won't be a huge concern!

Advertisement