Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bee hive, feckers have moved into my baler

• 24-06-2011 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭

lads I had a post earlier about tightening the pickup reel of my baler..anyway i noticed while i was taking off covers etc that a few bees started buzzing about..i didnt pay any heed at first but the other evenig a few appeared again when I was at it and I got stung in the face for my trouble..no big deal i got the stinger out almost straight away so no harm done..now only a few of them are buzzing about and its only about 2 weeks since i was baling last so i find it hard to believe there is a full hive there, maybe they are just starting to move in..whats the best thing to do..bale on as they say :) or should I try and smoke them out..without burning the place down... i think theymust be under the main cover, with my baler if you lift the cover the sides lift as well so Im nearly afraid to lift it for fear of getting stung again :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

lads I had a post earlier about tightening the pickup reel of my baler..anyway i noticed while i was taking off covers etc that a few bees started buzzing about..i didnt pay any heed at first but the other evenig a few appeared again when I was at it and I got stung in the face for my trouble..no big deal i got the stinger out almost straight away so no harm done..now only a few of them are buzzing about and its only about 2 weeks since i was baling last so i find it hard to believe there is a full hive there, maybe they are just starting to move in..whats the best thing to do..bale on as they say :) or should I try and smoke them out..without burning the place down... i think theymust be under the main cover, with my baler if you lift the cover the sides lift as well so Im nearly afraid to lift it for fear of getting stung again :o

Hi Vander,

Give a local bee keeper in your area a shout to take em.
    I think you're in Clare are you - http://bannerbeekeepers.com/

Bees are in short supply... so be a shame to kill em if you can at all avoid it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Are you sure that they aren't wasps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

reilig wrote: »
    If he had to get the stinger out, then it was a bee. Wasps don't leave the sting in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

reilig wrote: »

ya i stamped on the guy that got me, he was a bee, well actuallyhe got a belt of my cap first then i stamped on him..deffo bees, kinda short and chubby compared to wasps..i think they die anyway after stinging before anyone starts giving out about killing him :p

Hi Vander,

Give a local bee keeper in your area a shout to take em.
    I think you're in Clare are you - http://bannerbeekeepers.com/

Bees are in short supply... so be a shame to kill em if you can at all avoid it.

do you think if there is a few in there its means there is alot more out of sight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

do you think if there is a few in there its means there is alot more out of sight?
    They swarm around this time of year, so the odds are they a swarm settled there. If there is a steady flow of bees in and out, the odds are that you'll need to call your local beekeeper......unless that's where you keep your flowers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Proper bee fella will just pick up the queen and they'll swarm
    into his hive and away with him.... Happy out!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Just hitch up the baler to the tractor close all windows and give it a run, that will clear them out ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Just hitch up the baler to the tractor close all windows and give it a run, that will clear them out ;)

Nice

LostCovey wrote: »
    Nice

no the baler has been on a few times and a few have come buzzing about but no more than that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Leave em there! A bit of honey would be a nice way of bringing up the sugar levels in the silage.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Local beekeeper as suggested is the answer. I'm no expert, but my sister has a hive so knowledge limited to what I hear her talking about.

Moving location of a beehive is tricky. It will throw their 'sat-nav' off track if when they go to collect pollen their hive is moved. The result is they won't be able to find the hive on return and will die. Therefore I wouldn't recommend moving baler either until they are professionally removed.

P.S. Reading up about clover etc recently, it seems we should all have a hive located somewhere on the farm (possibly not in a baler though). Helps with pollonation of the clover plant and so helps it's spread in pasture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Muckit wrote: »
    P.S. Reading up about clover etc recently, it seems we should all have a hive located somewhere on the farm (possibly not in a baler though). Helps with pollonation of the clover plant and so helps it's spread in pasture.

Yep, and you'll have some honey for the brekkie as well :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

if you cant get the hive removed properly i believe an aerosol of ant killer will work if you cant find the foaming bee killer.

light a smoky fire upwind of the baler to calm them.

well no sign of them since , kinda half lifted the cover the other day and couldnt see anything so kinda hoping they have moved on

Advertisement