Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tennis in Waterford

• 24-06-2011 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

So I've been enjoying Wimbledon the last few days and I think i'd like to take up tennis. I have played before against friends and always thought I was quite good.

I assume St Anne's is the biggest/best club in town?

I have checked their website but it doesn't give much information.

Is anyone here a member?

What is the membership cost?

How often are there tournaments? Seeing as I don't know any members, I'd be relying on tournaments being held fairly often to play.

Do they do national tournaments also, for the best players?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

St. Annes is the only club in town, but luckily its one of the biggest in Ireland. There are 9 courts, and a clubhouse which has a decent sized bar and function room.

There are different membership types - family, individual, country member etc. There is a full time administrator there if you want to give her a call.

There are loads of competitions going. There is a spring and winter league. The monthly ladder is something which you are put in a group depending on your standard which you play every month - you go up or down a group depending on how you get on. There are national events held, as do other clubs in the region. You could play twice a night, five or six times a week if you wanted!

Normally now is a good time to enquire about signing up. I think the waiting list which used to be about 3 years has now been cleared. There is a number of events organised for new joiners to get to know each other as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

So I've been enjoying Wimbledon the last few days and I think i'd like to take up tennis. I have played before against friends and always thought I was quite good.

I assume St Anne's is the biggest/best club in town?

I have checked their website but it doesn't give much information.

Is anyone here a member? - Yes

What is the membership cost? it depends (Single, family etc)

How often are there tournaments? Seeing as I don't know any members, I'd be relying on tournaments being held fairly often to play.

Fairly Often, there is also a ladder competition held each month

Do they do national tournaments also, for the best players? yes

there is an Open (Members & Non-Members)American Tournament tomorrow night. Entry closed on Wednesday but give them a ring to see if you can play, Cost is €15 and is always a good craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 John Sample

Great help lads thanks very much :D

What's an American tournament btw?

Its just a type of round robin event. Have you ever played tennis before or are you a beginner?

While you are investigating the whole St.Annes thing it might be good to have a look down at Kingfisher if you can grab someone to go with you. It would be good to knock a few balls around.

I have played before against friends, but never with a club or in a tournament or anything.

It'd be nice to play more competitively though, it can be a bit boring when you are much better than your friend and you have to take it easy on them.

• Advertisement

Well the one thing I'd say about St.Annes is that it is big enough to offer a standard which everyone can play at. There are people there who will struggle to get the ball over the net - but thats ok for them, and kids on the national squads who at the age of 12 would be far too good for most adults in the region!

There are a number of coaches over there should you want to look into that as well.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Well the one thing I'd say about St.Annes is that it is big enough to offer a standard which everyone can play at. There are people there who will struggle to get the ball over the net - but thats ok for them, and kids on the national squads who at the age of 12 would be far too good for most adults in the region!

There are a number of coaches over there should you want to look into that as well.

Excellent.

I'm sick of working here anyway, so going into coaching full time might be an option.

Thanks again.

I was recommending that you avail of coaching as a new member! I'm obviously now sure of you level, but normally you would need to be playing at a high level to become a coach.

I know of one in particular who joined the club and has become a coach despite playing at quite a mediocre level, but its not common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

I played tennis in ST Annes for a few years when I was younger. Anyone know how big the waiting list is at the moment and how much is the membership. I would love to get back into tennis used to love it as a teenager.

As far as I'm aware there is no longer a waiting list. I think a lot of people have cut back on spending with the recession.

As I've mentioned above, there is a full time admin person there now who should be able to field questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Am actually very interested in playing again. How much would a membership typically cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

About 350 per year

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Up2NoGood

Hey guys, just caught the thread, great idea. I have done the research, and while St.Anne's is a great facility it's out of my range. There are plenty of community courts out there, if your interested in getting some practice in PM me your details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'd actually love to play again too. I was handy enough in my teens but I wasn't quick enough on my feet to make a real go of it like in a club or anything.

I'd give it a go down in kingfisher if we had enough for a doubles match or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,931 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

ziedth wrote: »
    I'd actually love to play again too. I was handy enough in my teens but I wasn't quick enough on my feet to make a real go of it like in a club or anything.

I'd give it a go down in kingfisher if we had enough for a doubles match or something.

Heard its €15 an hour in kingfisher and you need to bring your own rackets and balls. Is this a normal rate seems a bit steep to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mr Ed

I wouldn't mind joining in for a few games, played in the inter-firms for the first time in years earlier this year and really enjoyed it.

I think its only €10 for members unless they jacked up their prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Joe blogger

Mr Ed wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind joining in for a few games, played in the inter-firms for the first time in years earlier this year and really enjoyed it.

I think its only €10 for members unless they jacked up their prices

spot on ed

i'd be up for a game as well

maybe have a friendly wager on it too just for fun

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mr Ed

You're sounding like you've played a good bit before so. I haven't!

Advertisement