Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LTO Query

Options
  • 24-06-2011 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

Hi, hope someone here can help me?

I have inherited a spanking new Tandberg LTO4 (model lto-3503) backup drive?

The machine it belonged to has since died and I want to hook it up to an old Dell so I can archive data from drives?

My question is is there anyone on here very familiar with LTO as I have no clue about SCSI and want to get a working set up?

The previous guy who used it used BRU backup on a mac, my drives are also mac so I am wondering if I can back these up on a PC?

Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Is the LTO drive internal / external / in a housing?
    What connects are not the Dell Server?
    What OS are you running?
    Do you need to just back local data or remote as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

>>Is the LTO drive internal / external / in a housing?

External and in a housing

>>What connects are not the Dell Server?

Dell is a regular desktop with only pci

>>What OS are you running?

Win XP

>>Do you need to just back local data or remote as well?

Only local, I will connect external drives back up to tape and thats all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭francois

You'll need to pick up a pci scsi card, they are cheap enough, pop it into one of the spare pci slots in your pc and attach the device. Check what cable you need though as there are different scsi to drive cables
    You can use the native xp backup program to run backups-tapes are pricey though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

hello,

list the tape drive on adverts and get some cash for it.
    get some removable hard drive(s) and do the job with them...

...because...

-a PCI scsi card comes at around €100-€150
    -a scsi cable another €50
    -a single LTO4 cartdridge,giving you 400GB is €20

...while...

a 2TB usb 3.0 hdd is €100 !

(all prices are trade prices ,rounded to near digits)

now...make the maths !!
    also,get a proper backup software,no offence,but you might need someday to restore 'some' data off backup ...

regards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

rolion wrote: »
    hello,

list the tape drive on adverts and get some cash for it.
    get some removable hard drive(s) and do the job with them...

...because...

-a PCI scsi card comes at around €100-€150
    -a scsi cable another €50
    -a single LTO4 cartdridge,giving you 400GB is €20

...while...

a 2TB usb 3.0 hdd is €100 !

(all prices are trade prices ,rounded to near digits)

now...make the maths !!
    also,get a proper backup software,no offence,but you might need someday to restore 'some' data off backup ...

regards
    What way do you do data backups then? Do you just have one external harddrive or a number of harddrives that you rotate?

• Advertisement

axer wrote: »
    What way do you do data backups then? Do you just have one external harddrive or a number of harddrives that you rotate?

He wants to archive data,not to backup...if i am right here... :)

So,while some data will be kept on the live drive but not being selected/included for live,daily backup sets AND set "read only" for further access ,i can say that archiving to 2 (two) removable hard drives,on a monthly or quarterly period AND drives kept offsite in two different location does the trick.

Easy to backup,easy to restore,easy access and huge storage size.
    One minimum recommendation is to get a proper backup software that does archiving and encrypts the data on it for security reasons... and allows full logs,verification and restore 110% after some period of time and media management.

regards.

Hi,
    So,what solution have you chosen ?
    Tks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

axer wrote: »
    you can drop a tape and probably use it again

you rotate drives, every 18 months drive size will double so you can retire old drives after 3-5 years

SCSI is a complete nightmare when it comes to standards , despite have n+1 physical different connectors , they reused a normal voltage one for use with HVLD - HV means High Voltage , means that any device on the scsi chain that can't take higher voltages could get fried :mad::mad:

I've a 40MB IDE drive, no problem finding a machine to plug it into. Try that with a tape half it's age, then try finding the right software, then wait a couple of hours for cataloging, then...

Advertisement