Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advanced Entry DT204: Biomedical Science

Options
  • 24-06-2011 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just wondering if you'd be able to give me a hand here. I am a second year student of Trinity and Friday previous I received my exam results. Despite receiving a II.I average in my Biology Modules, my poor Chemistry grades dragged my overall grade into a II.II. In Trinity Science 3rd year specialties are determined by your second year grade and with a II.II I'm somewhat unlikely (but it's still possible) to get my first preference of Immunology. Even though 40% of the year failed I fail to take solace in passing when I will likely end up in a discipline that I would not want.

So as a result I'm looking into my other options and given it was my next choice on the CAO I was hoping to enquire about the criteria for advanced entry into DT204: Biomedical Science. Would be a simple case of transferring into third year right away? Or would I need to repeat Second year and thus pay fees.

This is mostly just speculation mind you, I'm just taking scope of all my options. 101 people from my class of 234 failed microbiology so I'm still in with a decent shot I guess.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭VickBack

I'm pretty sure you can't transfer into the 3rd year of the biomedical science course as that year is dedicated to hospital work placement. With that course you would only be able to transfer into 2nd year and it is extremely competitive! I also think the closing date for advanced entry has passed... But I could be wrong there?

As VicBack said I second, as in you would have to transfer into 2nd year of the DIT Biomed course, if that is an option for you, as you would be in no position coming in from 2nd year of your course in trinity to commence the hospital work placement in 3rd year. The Biomed students spend a lot of 2nd year studying the 5 biomed disciplines of haematology/clinical biochem/cellular pathology/transfusion science/medical microbiology, thus preparing them for the hospital placement.

By the sounds of it you may be in with a good chance of progressing into Immunology anyway, if 40% of your year failed you really did do very well !!! Plus your 2.1 grade in the Biology subjects could hold you in good standing when competition for allocating places is carried out. You might also be fortunate in that not that many opted to do Immunology, or those that did are in the 40% that failed, so keep your chin up and good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I got the same response as expected from the course director. Admittedly I went about sending all those emails when I was still grieving so I'll wait till next month when I know for certain where I stand before looking at all my options.

Advertisement