Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone going to a lot of festivals this year?

Options
  • 24-06-2011 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭

Would be interested to know if there's many people who are going to loads of festivals this year. Like, more than just Oxegen and EP and whatever's local, but an extensive festival tour around Ireland, or beyond.

So far, I have Forbidden Fruit, Oxegen, Castlepalooza, Electric Picnic, Vodafone Comedy, and a new one in Waterford.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doozie

Went to one day Forbidden Fruit, Body and Soul, going to Castle Palooza and EP after that.

I love the festival vibe and the luxury of seeing a squillion bands that you might never see otherwise.

Would have loved to go to Sea Sessions and Indiependance but am strapped with that much already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Only Hellfest and Electric Picnic for me I would say, maybe one day at Oxegen. Had tickets for Primavera Sound but had to pull out.

Wouldn't mind doing a small Irish festival like Knockanstockan or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Went to the Rory Gallagher festival, thats me done for the year id say. Used to love oxegen when I was a teeneger, but not any more! Getting to old for camping in muck for 4 nights! Id love to go to see the Foo fighters and Arctic Monkeys but at 100 for a day ticket, not a chance!

I've just realised, I have no gig on the horizon!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MeetReality

Forbidden Fruit
    BodyandSoul
    Oxegen (interning for MCD)
    Field Day in London
    Electric Picnic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Hitting up the Electric Picnic for the first time, can't wait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Was at No Place Like Dome last weekend (fantastic btw). Also plan to go to Bump, Indiependence and Gateways. Smaller, cheaper festivals are the future:cool:

Definitely the days of paying €240 for a festival are over for me. I will be at Electric Picnic, as a worker in Body and Soul. As long as I get time off to see Pulp while I'm there, I'm not really bothered about anything else.

I FAWKING LOVES FESTIVAL SEASON!!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Forbidden Fruit
    probably 1 day at Oxegen
    Indiependence
    EP

would have gone to the following, only friends/work meant i couldn't:
    Sibin
    Life
    Primavera
    Body and Soul/NPLD
    Sea Sessions
    Bump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭I_am_LOST

You are all minted :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Forbidden Fruit , Oxegen and hopefully Indiependance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Was supposed to go to Glasto but just got ticket refunded instead.

To replace going to:
    Oxegen
    Global Gathering
    Creamfields
    Planet Love

Was at Life Fest a few weeks ago. Wasnt overly impressed :-/

Cant wait for all of them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

I_am_LOST wrote: »
    You are all minted :(

I'm not:(

But festivals can be done so cheaply if you don't go mad buying drink/food and ya just got to plan ahead. Try to buy tickets for smaller festivals a few months in advance (don't bother paying €240 for the likes of EP and Oxegen RIP OFF!!). Then you don't have to be worrying about buying the ticket a week beforehand.

I was at NPLD in Sligo last weekend and all it cost me was €100 plus the price of the ticket (mind you, nothing is on sale at NPLD so it was easy for me not to spend any money there). Total spend was:

€35 drink (2 bottles of Buckfast and 12 cans Bavaria)
    €15 food (Tesco's beforehand)
    €20 (Shared fuel costs with 3 friends)
    €30 (other *ahem* substances:cool:)

If you can't afford to go to festivals, consider working at them. You normally get a free ticket and free meals whilst working. And you would normally only work 8hr shifts, which gives you another 10-12hrs of the day to enjoy yourself: 4-6hrs sleep at a festival should be plenty.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Was at Life its was ok. heading to bump,castlepolooza,indiependence
    and electric picnic to round the summer off that plenty for me these days

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Stretchryan

Exit
    Pukkelpop
    Rock En Seine

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

So far Ive done Life festival (volunteered), Forbidden Fruit (mainly to see da Twin), will be volunteering for Bump in July. Of course will be taking in a few trad festivals too will probably go down to Willie Clancy week in Miltown Malbay for a few days and maybe the Fleadh Cheoil at Cavan, hopefully I can save enough cash too to make it to my sixth EP this year too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

so far have being to

Vantastival
    forbidden fruit
    NPLD

had planned on LIFE but the football got in the way.

next up is Independence.

i love the smallewr festivals now.car to tent is 2mins.tent to music is 5min walk.
    vantastival and npld were both BYOB.
    tickets so far were 85-50-80 and i think next one is 90euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,597 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I'm heading to Oxegen for the Saturday and two weeks later I'm going to Glasgowbury in the Sperrin mountains in Co.Derry :D

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 st_jimmy

Been to Primavera Sound and Frobidden Fruit so far.

Vodafone Comedy Festival and Electric Picnic next.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

So far...LIFE[6/10],TEMPLEHOUSE[5/10],NPLD[9/10],and hope to check out SEA SESSIONS this afternoon.Fcuk the recession..sell yer telly and use the $ to PARTY insteada moaning..mind you,might not be going to the E.P this year-I dont want to have to sell the car as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Sonisphere and High Voltage for me. Then maybe day at Indiependance, day at Reading.

Advertisement