Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rain rain rain , any good weather to come soon ?

Options
  • 24-06-2011 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

ireland can bearly be seen in this radar pic :mad:

Web_radar.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Yeah, it's going to be lovely on Friday. I read it in the paper. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Potential for some good warm weather next weekend.I know MT has said it for the last few weeks that "the following weekend looks good" only for it to be ruined by pesky Fronts that wont bugger off away from around here and let a blocking high do its thing:).However next weekend does indeed look good.This weekend wont be too bad either in between heavy showers it will warm up nicely after tonight in certain parts of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Dublin needs rain !... surprisingly the reservoirs arent at normal capacity!

But ye, some sun would be nice to officially kick summer off! , a day where ya'd see the phoenix park packed with people ..... having ice cream and that.. now thats a good day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I'm about as fed up as I've ever been with "next week/end". I've been watching weather for the past few weeks and have come to the conclusion that it's mostly bad guessing :p Therefore I'm just looking up into the sky and taking each day as it comes! Mutter, grumble....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

johngalway wrote: »
    Therefore I'm just looking up into the sky and taking each day as it comes! Mutter, grumble....

It's the only way, our summer was written off six months back ~ and yes a long range FC is not reliable, but the general trend to poor weather has not changed ~ even though, as of yet we have not had any extremes [to speak of either].

I've left my daisies grow in my garden, I just like them, but there is a limit and suddenly I have meadow, I'll have to try and get the mower out between weathers as next weekend's heatwave will kill freshly cut grass.

Decisions, decisions. Grasses and flowers are as good a guide to the weather potential as anything, IMO. We've had a start stop growing season with a recent rapid growth ~ anytime a plant is in a hurry to bloom, bad weather [for the plant] isn't far off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Just another depressing Irish 'summer' to add to the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

When our spring is better than our summer there has to be something seriously wrong, it's absolutely shocking how bad this weather is :(

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Our weather forecasters really do not have a clue. I sincerely believe tat they go into R.T.E. on a Monday morning at around 9 a.m. and sit down writing up a couple of pages of guess-work for the week ahead. At 10 a.m. they bid each other a happy week until the same time next Monday and head home.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

What about M.T.Cranium's prognosis?. Didn't his summer forecast call for May and June to be fairly typical Irish weather months? He seemed to indicate that July might turn out fairly dry, before our weather resumed normal service in the first or second week of August.
    So don't lose hope just yet peeps.

Thanks for the brown envelope M.T.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭traecy1

Our weather forecasters really do not have a clue. I sincerely believe tat they go into R.T.E. on a Monday morning at around 9 a.m. and sit down writing up a couple of pages of guess-work for the week ahead. At 10 a.m. they bid each other a happy week until the same time next Monday and head home.
    Why do some people always have a go at Met Eireann. This is a thread about today's rain which WAS forecast by Met Eireann and yet you throw in a few derogatory remarks about them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

lol look at raintoday.co.uk now

Looks like and angry bull Ha HA

Lets all blame Met Eireann for the ****ty weather we're having! :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

traecy1 wrote: »
    Why do some people always have a go at Met Eireann. This is a thread about today's rain which WAS forecast by Met Eireann and yet you throw in a few derogatory remarks about them.

Because i find that more often than not they are wrong. Simple as.

Because i find that more often than not they are wrong. Simple as.

I would not agree, but they have taken a fair amount of stick for under-reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The one good thing about today's rain (besides drought reduction) is that the cause is much warmer air moving north, which should be felt by most away from the south coast over the weekend. As Nacho mentioned the prognosis was for gradual improvement to warmer and perhaps drier weather than normal as the summer unfolds, and I think the warmer part should certainly come to pass, as for drier, rainfall patterns may become more variable, the past two months have seen fairly widespread above normal rains but I suspect July may be more of a mixed bag with one region dry and another near normal or above. The southeast may be favoured for dry weather because I suspect the jet stream is going to lift north just enough to place the southeast and most of England and Wales on the warmer side, with the northern half of Ireland and most of Scotland perhaps remaining more unsettled.

Those "heat wave" forecasts that were prevalent may start to seem more "on the money" for southern England where they were issued, but I don't think anyone was saying Ireland would be into that air mass very frequently because the models being used were showing southerly rather than southeast wind flow as the source, so that usually cuts off any real heat around Dorset north into the Midlands (of the UK). However, it could turn quite hot even this weekend in parts of southern England and certainly across most of France. But as I don't live in Ireland, I am still getting the hang of what people reading weather forecasts consider to be warm or hot, perhaps a humid 23 C qualifies as hot and that's what may be felt in parts of the inland southeast this weekend. I would say more like warm or sultry for that.

One good sign that I might mention is that the chilly upper air patterns that have prevailed in May and June are rapidly disappearing from the North Atlantic and the flow over North America looks more normal than it has been during the spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

gbee wrote: »
    Looks like and angry bull Ha HA

haha , like an angry bull that got a kick in the twins !!!

in fairness met eireann , MT or any other forcaster cant be blamed for our crappy weather ..

they do there best , usually there right , sometimes there wrong , but i can only imagine its a hard job when our weather can be so unpredictable ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

If the warmer weather is blown by southerly instead of southeasterly winds I'll be quite happy. It may be less warm overall but at least along the east coast there won't be a horrible sea breeze or even sea fog! IMBYism at its finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭morticia2

.... much warmer air moving north, which should be felt by most away from the south coast over the weekend.

we live in hope....car told me it was 10.5 degrees on the way home tonight

AARRGGH. One should not have to hit the override button on the central heating in June.

flippin' volcanoes! Yes, they should totally be in the weather thread. They cause serious disruption in weather patterns. Sure, it rains in June sometimes, but 10.5 degrees??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

fizzycyst wrote: »
    When our spring is better than our summer there has to be something seriously wrong, it's absolutely shocking how bad this weather is :(

That has been the trend since 2007:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

20% chance that Temps will reach 31 o C oN tuesday!!!!!............. IN London! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

13.3c here now and 19 or 20c tomorrow then 16c on a misty wet Sunday. then cool and showery for next week once more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Dublin needs rain !... surprisingly the reservoirs arent at normal capacity!

But ye, some sun would be nice to officially kick summer off! , a day where ya'd see the phoenix park packed with people ..... having ice cream and that.. now thats a good day :)

Saw a tool from dublin county council on the rte 6 o clock news during the week, said it hadnt rained for 2 months. wasnt challenged on it. what planet was he on for the last 2 months?
    Lack of water supply anything to do with the fact that they gave planning permission for tonnes of new houses yet didnt increase reservoir capacity.
    useless eejits traying to cover their arses.

And yea the weather is crap.

Iancar29 wrote: »
    20% chance that Temps will reach 31 o C oN tuesday!!!!!............. IN London! :(

London is the new Spain..:);)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GSF

But as I don't live in Ireland, I am still getting the hang of what people reading weather forecasts consider to be warm or hot.
    its whenever we can turn the central heating off.

GSF wrote: »
    its whenever we can turn the central heating off.

Actually now that I think about it, that really isn't a good indicator, I mean it's completely subjective. My sis keeps it on most of the year!

My personal opinion would be that it feels warm around 15c and get hot from 20c.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Driving home from Greystones there 24.5C - havent seen that in a long long time - All the BBQs have yet to be planned judging by the mountain of burger buns in Lidls - I however followed MTs forcast like the book & had mine planned all week & am now basking in a tropical Bray ready & waiting for a glorious summer night ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The sun is just peeking through as the cloud thins out.

Advertisement