Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc in Finance

Options
  • 24-06-2011 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭

I am pretty interested in doing this after I finish my final year next year and I was wondering were is the best option to do it? Im talking in terms of quality/ price/ qualifications/ difficulty. I favour Smurfit at the moment but if anyone has any advice that they could give me it would be welcome.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭chave

Gandalph wrote: »
    I am pretty interested in doing this after I finish my final year next year and I was wondering were is the best option to do it? Im talking in terms of quality/ price/ qualifications/ difficulty. I favour Smurfit at the moment but if anyone has any advice that they could give me it would be welcome.

Thanks in advance :)

Im heading to TCD to do it this sept. I chose this over Smurf even though smurf is ranked higher in the world in the FTs Msc in Finance ranking and less expensive. The reason for this was I like the library in TCD more and it has a 24hr study room. Also the lecture delivery is in 1 week blocks therefore you can essentially start exams paper for a module after a week. As I am concentrating of CFA exams also, this works better for me. Both courses are very good from what I hear though.

Anyone else had experiences with either course???
    Anyone else starting either this sept???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Im going into Smurfit for the MSC in Sept. Anyone know what sort of date we are looking at for starting?

chave wrote: »
    Im heading to TCD to do it this sept. I chose this over Smurf even though smurf is ranked higher in the world in the FTs Msc in Finance ranking and less expensive. The reason for this was I like the library in TCD more and it has a 24hr study room. Also the lecture delivery is in 1 week blocks therefore you can essentially start exams paper for a module after a week. As I am concentrating of CFA exams also, this works better for me. Both courses are very good from what I hear though.

Anyone else had experiences with either course???
    Anyone else starting either this sept???

Don't forget about the projects that go with each module though! They are worth 30% of each module, and will take a lot of time. I am just finished with this course, so any questions fire away.

Don't forget about the projects that go with each module though! They are worth 30% of each module, and will take a lot of time. I am just finished with this course, so any questions fire away.

Hi, thanks. I have a few questions for you stunner. Firstly with regards to the projects, how much time did you spend on average with each one?

What was your max/min gap between each module?

Did you do CFA too during your time there. How were the finals overall in terms of difficulty in you opinion.

What was you opinion of the course overall(lecture delivery, lecturer standard, learning outcomes achieved, etc)??

Are you employed now or are you doing your thesis over the summer?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

What was your max/min gap between each module? Depends on which modules you pick. You will do 6 modules each Semester (if FT student. 3 if PT). Depending on your chosen modules, you could be on 6 weeks straight or have 2-3 weeks of no class!

Did you do CFA too during your time there. No. I know a few who did though, balancing both is tough but do-able.

How were the finals overall in terms of difficulty in you opinion. Again depends on your module. Most people found them ok, fail rate is pretty low. Having said that, getting a 'good' mark, say 70+, will take lots of study.

What was you opinion of the course overall(lecture delivery, lecturer standard, learning outcomes achieved, etc)?? Lecturer standard is OK, most of your learning will come from independent study rather than the classroom. They do get some pretty big names in though to teach.

Are you employed now or are you doing your thesis over the summer? yeah, but I'm a lecturer, so things have quietened down a bit for me now so gives me time to do thesis.

• Advertisement

thanks for your good answers stunner.

few more questions if you dont mind;

Can you give me 3 must do modules in your opinion. ie. Everything about it was good.

Are there any avoid at all costs modules?

Any word/info on Financial Econometrics?

Finally , any tips or things you wish you'd known before you started the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Cheers for the answers :)

What are you guys hoping to do after you finish the module?

Gandalph wrote: »
    Cheers for the answers :)

What are you guys hoping to do after you finish the module?

Wanna get a job in ER or Portfolio analysis to get my experience up as you need 4 years to get the CFA charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 elixx

Will be going to Smurfit for my MSc Finance, was conditionally accepted at TCD but they wanted a GMAT and didn't have time (was busy with a Finance Masters already).

Looking forward to the course, so any guys going to UCD feel free to pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Well jesus here I am 3 years later (don't even remember this thread) and I'm about to hand in my thesis on friday and be done with college for good. Ending up doing the Masters in Finance in DCU, if anyone wants any info about it please don't hesitate to ask!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭stephenamccann

There is a Finance MBA in dbs, i think the price is €7900 for full time. Full time for me consisted of 10 hours semester 1 and about 14-16 semester 2. Part time I think was 5k a year. The good thing is that is is a business course. You pick one elective for each semester. If you pick 2 electives from the same category i.e. finance, then you have a finance MBA. That means that, if you are have doubts over finance, you can always change your electives, therefore changing your MBA. Also, I only had 1 exam, some people, depending on the stream, had 2.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement