Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very basic CAD question

Options
  • 24-06-2011 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I know this should be really straightforward but it's driving me around the bend. I want to specify the centre of a circle as the intersection between a curved line and a straight line.

I have the "intersection" snap turned on but it won't let me select the intersection of these two lines. When zoomed in close, I can't snap to an intersection point at all and when zoomed out a bit, I can snap to some weird "intersection point" is actually a little off the true intersection point.

I hope that makes sense. Does anyone know what might be the problem?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

i presume you are using autocad.

i dont have autocad in front of me and try to use it as little as possible at work but how about changing the snap to midpoint instead and seeing how that works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭kirving

If you zoom in too much, it will look as though you are not on the intersection point at all. This is because AutoCAD breaks down a circle into a number of straight lines to reduce the amount of time taken to render them. These lines become more visible the more you zoom in.

il_viewres_example.png

If you zoom out further, it will look as if the point is closer to where you want it. Even though it may look as though you are not on the intersection point you will be if the symbol is shown.

Also, make sure your UCS is aligned correctly. I created an awful mess for meself recently when it was off by about 0.1 degrees and nothing would line up.

Advertisement