Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

110 New Jobs for Tesco Waterford

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,337 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

mojor wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/every-little-helps-tesco-to-create-522-new-jobs-2805290.html

Wonder if the jobs will be at the existing stores or if they plan to build another one?

Under the retailer's investment plans for the next year, the money will be spent redeveloping and opening new stores and hiring 522 new staff.

:eek::eek: There's already 5 in the area!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 John Sample

Horgan wrote: »

:eek::eek: There's already 5 in the area!

Very surprising alright.

I don't know where it will be, but I doubt I'll be shopping in this new store.

I hope it does well though, for Waterford like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I can't possibly imagine where they could put one. Ferrybank?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Unless it's outside Waterford City it going? Dungarvan maybe? Waterford City has enough Tesco shops.

Dungarvan could well be an option.

• Advertisement

ziedth wrote: »

Dunnes wont like that if Tesco does go in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I can't possibly imagine where they could put one. Ferrybank?

Nor can I... Ferrybank is the only place I can think of. Could they be thinking of the big, unopened shopping centre? IIRC, the reason it didn't open is that Dunnes pulled out as anchor tenant when the credit crunch hit. I'm sure it would suit Tesco down to the ground, but they couldn't just open it with Tesco in - or could they?

Watch for the Kilkenny People headline if it does ever happen: "Tesco opening shows confidence in Kilkenny" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 John Sample

I agree.

All guesswork I suppose, but it's probably safe to make the assumption that it might be outside the city.

STIG83 wrote: »
    Dunnes wont like that if Tesco does go in there.

Very possible actually... and the Dunnes supermarket in Dungarvan is poor enough when it comes to fresh veg, cheese selection, etc.

Never thought of the county! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

they are rebuilding Poleberry, doubling the size of the shopping center and cutting a lot of the car parking, planning permission was put in 9 or 10 years ago so they have to act on it before the planning period runs out, + they are setting up in Dungarvan I've heard

• Advertisement

I couldn't see that happening either fricatus as (and I could be wrong) I think Tesco usually build their own units like in New Ross, Tramore and Ardkeen.

On a related note, is Tesco Ballybeg doing anything? I have been there 3/4 times at "busy" times and it's been dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

None of these jobs are really new jobs. While obviously some construction work will be generated, people are obviously already doing their food shopping somewhere, and there is only so much business to go around.

Normally what happens in this scenario is that any small or independent retailers will take a big hit or vanish completely.

With the huge amount of UK chain multiples around the place these days, at times you would find it hard to tell the difference between somewhere like Waterford and any random English town. A shame - when you go to France or Holland for example, you immediately know that you have arrived by the look and feel of the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,337 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I couldn't see that happening either fricatus as (and I could be wrong) I think Tesco usually build their own units like in New Ross, Tramore and Ardkeen.

On a related note, is Tesco Ballybeg doing anything? I have been there 3/4 times at "busy" times and it's been dead.
    was out there a few weeks ago looking for the Bulmers promotion 24 cans for 24 euro,

Not a can to be had!

I went to a BBQ out on Dunmore road around the time of that and tesco ardkeen actually ran out of beer if you can imagine. I think I had only a choice of carlsberg or Dutch Gold cans. Twas madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I went to a BBQ out on Dunmore road around the time of that and tesco ardkeen actually ran out of beer if you can imagine. I think I had only a choice of carlsberg or Dutch Gold cans. Twas madness.

MAY MADNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Not necessarily though - they have a unit in Dundrum which is inside the shopping centre, and that's been Tesco from the start (there are other examples, but they would have been inherited from Quinnsworth/Crazy Prices).

Always seems dead any time I've been there. Very good if you want to avoid the crowds in Ardkeen. That has to be one of the busiest supermarkets in the country. Only half joking when I say it wouldn't surprise me if they built a second one next door, just to take the pressure off!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Surprised that the Dunne family never invested more in Waterford? They missed the boat big time.

fricatus wrote: »
    Not necessarily though - they have a unit in Dundrum which is inside the shopping centre, and that's been Tesco from the start (there are other examples, but they would have been inherited from Quinnsworth/Crazy Prices).

Very good point, I forgot about dundrum. I guess it depends on the unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tesco have two stores they don't even need as judged by apparent turnover - Ballybeg and Poleberry. Clearly no scope for a 5th store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

A Tesco near Carrickpherish might be a decent idea. Plenty of catchment in Bilberry, Hillview etc. Even people in South Kilkenny might favour using the toll bridge to get there handily enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Looks like they are just extending some stores in Waterford.
    The retailer , which already employs 13,500 people, will open four new supermarkets, as well seven Express stores across the country.

266 jobs will be created in Naas, 110 each in Galway and Waterford, 90 in Mayo, 80 in Westmeath and 60 in Tipperary.

From here:
    http://www.tesco.ie/press2.html
    The new stores to be opened in the coming months, creating 522 new jobs, are at Cabra, Dublin (150), Kildare (120), Rush, Dublin (80) with a replacement store underway in Roscrea, Tipperary (60) which was originally planned for last year. There will also be seven new Tesco Express stores in Dublin and Kildare, creating 16 jobs each. An extensive upgrading programme for many existing Tesco stores around the country is also underway.

Just looks like some store is getting a refit and extention.

mike65 wrote: »
    Tesco have two stores they don't even need as judged by apparent turnover - Ballybeg and Poleberry. Clearly no scope for a 5th store.

Poleberry is quite busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I've heard the Ballybeg store has being a bit of a disaster.

Its the quietest store I've ever seen....so they'll prob extend it and put a non-food floor above it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭Libby029

I have to say I love shopping in Tesco Ballybeg.. found shelves are always well stocked and the staff are lovely there.. I actually drive from Tramore to go to it, rather than shop in Tesco Tramore (awful store)

Libby029 wrote: »
    I have to say I love shopping in Tesco Ballybeg.. found shelves are always well stocked and the staff are lovely there.. I actually drive from Tramore to go to it, rather than shop in Tesco Tramore (awful store)
    Really? in what way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭Libby029

STIG83 wrote: »
    Really? in what way?

Find there is not as much of a choice in it as other Tesco stores.. and the amount of times i have come home after doing my shopping in Tramore and look at my receipt and find that i have been overcharged or didn't get a special offer. So just stopped going there and have been going to Ballybeg now for the last while and have been happy with my bill and shopping.

Libby029 wrote: »
    Find there is not as much of a choice in it as other Tesco stores.. and the amount of times i have come home after doing my shopping in Tramore and look at my receipt and find that i have been overcharged or didn't get a special offer. So just stopped going there and have been going to Ballybeg now for the last while and have been happy with my bill and shopping.

I find Arkeen is defintely the best out of them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

hardybuck wrote: »
    None of these jobs are really new jobs. While obviously some construction work will be generated, people are obviously already doing their food shopping somewhere, and there is only so much business to go around.

Normally what happens in this scenario is that any small or independent retailers will take a big hit or vanish completely.

With the huge amount of UK chain multiples around the place these days, at times you would find it hard to tell the difference between somewhere like Waterford and any random English town. A shame - when you go to France or Holland for example, you immediately know that you have arrived by the look and feel of the place.

eventually everything will look the same, the aldi in waterford is the EXACT same as the ALDI in Melbourne, but sooner or later there will be only one supermarket and it will look the same no matter whether ur in kilmacow or on the moon.
    fact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

O Riain wrote: »
    eventually everything will look the same, the aldi in waterford is the EXACT same as the ALDI in Melbourne, but sooner or later there will be only one supermarket and it will look the same no matter whether ur in kilmacow or on the moon.
    fact.

Actually you are wrong.

The staff on the Aldi Moon supermarket will have cool metalic uniforms. Also it will be a great laugh being able to carry 60kg of groceries with just one hand.

Advertisement