Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is credit card interest (APR) applied?

Options
  • 24-06-2011 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Folks

As the title says, How is credit card interest (APR) applied?
    If you pay your credit card on time all the time, do you pay any interest at all? If a cc has an APR of say 20%, how and when is this applied?

Many than

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Interest is only applied if you do not clear to a 0 balance come end of period [month]. If you pay off the entire card before bill time, you pay no interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

RangeR wrote: »
    Interest is only applied if you do not clear to a 0 balance come end of period [month]. If you pay off the entire card before bill time, you pay no interest.

If this is the case, are you effectively getting 1 month credit totally free? I'm sure they apply admin charges at year end or such?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

dnme wrote: »
    If this is the case, are you effectively getting 1 month credit totally free? I'm sure they apply admin charges at year end or such?

only government duty on the card itself, which is €30

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Technically, you asked two questions but maybe you were unaware. You asked how interest [APR] is charged.

APR is a culmination of all charges, not just interest. If you clear your card you will not incur interest. I already said this. However you MAY incur admin charges but you absolutely WILL incur government levy once a year [April?]. This you cannot get around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

It is in essence getting a month's credit free IF you clear it at the end of each month. If you run up a large bill, which is easy on a business account, and then are not in a position to clear it you find it impossible to clear and have then turned into a nice cash cow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

In my case, the cc is paid by direct debit to the issuing bank so I have never paid late. Used this way, that's a pretty good deal.

Going on the above, what I find interesting is the way these guys advertise credit cards. The ad's are always based on APR rates or at least APR/Interest always features in the ad. But it seems APR/Interest on a credit card account only applies in a negative scenario, i.e.late payment. So the ad's are based on what happens when the consumer defaults. Strange world.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

Advertisement