Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Monitor?

Options
  • 24-06-2011 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭

I posted in Tech & Comp but I reckon this'll get more exposure here...

I'm after a new monitor and I'm a bit stumped, I don't know my gamut from my IPS!

I have a budget of €200 at the very most but would ideally like to spend less.
    I do all my gaming on the PC so I'll need a very good response time (have been using a CRT until now)

Should I go for LCD, LCD-LED or 3D 120hz?

I don't have an nVidia card and don't really watch many movies off my desktop so would it be worth getting a 120hz monitor for just the 2D? Do ye reckon a 3D monitor would be more "future proof"

My monitor is only a 17" so anything will be an upgrade pretty much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

missed this post yesterday!

What kind of GPU is in your pc at the moment?

I am in a similar situation myself. For around the 200 mark you are looking at a decent 24inch screen. From researching so far (im not so up to date with monitors like yourself) the response time is probably the most important with gaming. I have seen alot of different opinions on what type is best. I have linked below a couple of screens I have seen recommended

Asus 24inch LED
    2ms response time, led backlit, hdmi connection and for under Eur200

BENQ 24inch LED
    5ms response time, its led but the reason it is dearer is it is VA technology giving wider viewing angles. Not going to make much dif when gaming though.

BENGQ 24inch LCD
    Similar to the above but just LCD.

They are just some of the screens I have come across. I wouldnt see the point of you investing in a 120hz 3D monitor when your not going to make use of it. Any of the above would suit your needs at the moment.

Thats my two cents anyway!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I was looking at the same monitor Tar, it's €180 including delivery from Amazon.de which is the cheapest I can find, I missed out when it was on iBood...

Would you really notice the difference between 60 and 120 Hz?

I've got a 5770 deejar, I'd imagine a 3D monitor would be wasted on me at this stage but I tend to try to keep things for as long as possible (that old CRT lasted about a decade) so if the 120Hz and extremely low response time makes a difference I won't mind the extra outlay.

Of course if the 120hz makes no difference I'd probably go for a standard LCD panel like that BenQ

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

i like the LG monitor Tar has.

your 5770 really isnt going to see full potential on it, but if you're doing serious FPS gaming (those guys love their 0ms lag CRT's) then you'll probably notice 5ms response timed LCD's. in that case, a 0ms LG 120hz makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    i like the LG monitor Tar has.

your 5770 really isnt going to see full potential on it, but if you're doing serious FPS gaming (those guys love their 0ms lag CRT's) then you'll probably notice 5ms response timed LCD's. in that case, a 0ms LG 120hz makes sense.

So if you are not doing alot of FPS gaming and would like something a bit bigger that a 23inch what would you recommend?

Personally I would rather stay away from the 3d gaming for the moment - im not convinced yet :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Have that same monitor. It's excellent.

3D gaming is fantastic on certain titles, but in SP only. Wouldn't dream of playing multiplayer in 3D....!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Have that same monitor. It's excellent.

3D gaming is fantastic on certain titles, but in SP only. Wouldn't dream of playing multiplayer in 3D....!

Any game suggestions for it?

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    I was looking at the same monitor Tar, it's €180 including delivery from Amazon.de which is the cheapest I can find, I missed out when it was on iBood...

is the LG Flatron W2363D the same as the LG Flatron W2363D-pf :confused:

I have the pf and it's more exp on amazon there... but i think they are the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

is the LG Flatron W2363D the same as the LG Flatron W2363D-pf?

It says this on the .de site under Technical Details

Model Number: PF-W2363D

They have the same ASIN number too so I guess they're the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 paddylieback

Hi Folks

Thought i'd give my tuppence worth here as i work in the broadcast industry and know quite a bit about monitors etc...
    If you want a good monitor for around the 170euro worth i would recommend the following,
    its fully HD, has a hdmi and dvi port on the back and its actually a tv too!! Ok its only 27" but we got 7 of these for a project we are currently running and so far they are perfect. I'd imagine you guys would love them.
    Its an LG Flatron M227WDP. Try pixamania.ie, they might sell them. Not sure actually if PC world do them. It was the secretary that bought them in .
    Hope this helps folks, leme know if you need any more info on video , like i said, i work for a company in the business...

Cheers

Rich

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 paddylieback

Opps, Sorry, Its only 21". My mistake , sorry about that.

Here is a link i found for the spec

http://www.computeruniverse.net/products/e90371697/d2/specifications/lg-flatron-m227wdp-pc-schwarz.asp

Cheers

Rich

Advertisement