Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Photography Forum Project :: 24/7 Issue II?

• 24-06-2011 2:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

Yes, we are probably mad, (see what I did there, all of a sudden it's 'we' ;)) but with a little prompting last night on twitter (thanks Emily, Darren and Stephen), we are looking at kicking this one off again.

Today is 24th of June i.e. 24/6 - Add one month to it and we have 24th of July ie. 24/7.

Simple idea. At start of 24 hours there is nothing. After 24 hours we have a finished publication full of smart images from very smart photographers. (hey!, i'm wellin up here just thinking about it, but then again I may be mentally scarred by last years experience :D).

Some references to jog our minds and spur your imagination;

What about a print version?

This was requested last year however wasn't possible as no provider could offer low volume production.

<drum roll>

There is now available a print on demand solution, Magcloud, which ship to Ireland, so we can/will be able to offer a print version for people who want to get a hard copy. It won't be a prerequisite in participating to purchase one, you will be able to browse the online version as you can still do with last years efforts. The idea would be to have it for purchase at cost from MagCloud. No profit. No intention of getting rich on the proceeds of it :o

Couple of thoughts to get you thinking:
    a) Is it an idea to organise a Photowalk around it or no photowalk (doesn't need to be exclusive ie. if you go on a walk then do submit images from it, otherwise shoot whatever you want)
    b) anyone involved with the forum (or who wants to join up for the project) can participate.
    c) a 12 - 12 deadline rather than a 4 to 4 - I think we nearly killed Chris last year doing design work at 4am.
    d) with (c) in mind, a 12mid day on 23rd to 12mid day on 24th might be as good a 24 hour window as any and might give a little more scope in terms of events/weather/etc..?
    e) important one - how do we help/encourage film heads out here with their need to kill the environment with chemical exposure (i jest :D) Film is of course as welcome as digital, there is a logistics issue though for people in terms of shooting, developing, scanning, submitting.... thoughts needed here particularly from those proposing to shoot film.
    f) Theme or theme being what you can shoot in 24 hours?
    g) Chris (Chorcai) who has been busy studying and doing things educational has tentatively indicated that he may be available on the design front again. Other help welcome, though in fairness given the deadlines - big group thinks probably won't be available during the 24hour period. Last year worked ok but completely open to any new suggestions.
    h) organisation - the post of organiser/whip cracker/bottle washer/da boss/director is available if anyone wants to run with it. We are community here, so I don't want to hog the director chair on this project. It was fun* last year and i'm happy for it to remain that way through my rose tinted glasses ;) Volunteers or conscripts are welcome to take active leading role(s)s in this. I'm happy to let it run with someone else at the helm.
    i) Would we add a twist (for some perhaps). What about partnering with somewhere like the creative writing forum to see if they would be interested in the project - pairing a photographer and a writer together and see what the combined product might be - a documentary, a report, something from a creative space, a themed approach.... dunno, so just throwing it out there. Such an approach would be a significant change from last year but might give a wider circulation of interest.

So ideas, thoughts, musings, c&c from last years approach, etc... all welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

I rather like point i. Pickarooney over in writing might be interested, I'll point it out to them and see what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

I see some great ideas there! :P

As regards theme, I reckon that as an annual publication, there's no great need to impose a specific theme, unless you want to have a nebulous one like 'Time' or 'Change' that sounds very high minded until you realise that almost any photo or project can be shoehorned into an abstract concept like that!

I like the idea of being able to submit a page or article layout, if you wanted. This has the double benefit of taking some of the pressure off the designer and also allows the photographer the leeway to flex their creative muscles a bit and dictate how their images work together and sit on the page. I found when doing a sofobomo that that's a challenging and satisfying process in itself.

Is there an issue with the number of pages in a Magcloud production? In a purely online edition, obviously that's not a problem, but in the hypothetical (although admittedly unlikely) event that 50 photographers want to submit 4 page articles each, that makes for a sizeable dead tree production. But a limit on submissions based on [whispers] quality [/whispers] is not fair in an open forum based project either. It's a similar discussion that crops up in the book project, with the difference that in the book, everyone gets one page and commits to buy. That's a kind of democracy. What if I decide I want to fill 10 pages with pictures of my sofa, it's not fair to expect everyone who wants to buy a copy to have to pay for 10 pages of my self indulgence. Ultimately, I suppose there may need to be a limit on volume per entrant, with power lying in the hands (and recycle bin) of the editor...

Also. Yay! really enjoyed this project last year.

Thanks for resurrecting it ACD :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

ditto on the yays, i'm in :)

i like the idea of the print version too. but please - no themes!!!!!.... keeping it wide and open and personal rather will [more than likely] yield more a more varied and interesting end product.

it's the same weekend as the Belmullet photowalk, but should be still manageable. I can offer film developing and PP/e-mailing facilities to anyone here at the time who'd like to take part.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Depending on the time-frame, just using the chosen photos as themes for prose pieces might be a straightforward enough idea for a collaboration. Not being in the country there's not a whole lot I'd be able to contribute logistics wise.

When you say a documentary, do you mean a photo-doc or a piece of film outside the scope of the book itself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Delighted that this is going ahead !

I'd gladly do the design again, college life consumed me over the last few months but it's summer time now ! If someone else would like to do the dsesign thats no problem, I can forward the files (I used InDesign CS4).

From a production/design point of view, much like last year, agree a size and page layout/ photo size etc well before hand it will make things much easier I think we left it a wee bit late last time. This time round things might be differant depends on Magclouds printing set-up.

ID_NewDocument.png
    InDesign make sure the box for Facing Pages is checked.

Set the Page Size: Width = 8.25 in / Height = 10.75 in
    Set the Margins: Top = 0.25 in / Bottom = 0.25 in / Inside = 0.25 in /Outside = 0.25 in
    Under Bleed and Slug, click the button to the right of the Bleed settings to unlink the values.
    Set the Bleeds: Top = 0.125 in / Bottom = 0.125 in / Inside = 0 in / Outside = 0.25 in

• Advertisement

I'm interested in the potential of a creative writing collaboration.

I love pictures that tell stories, and even more those that make you wonder what's happening outside the narrow box that the photographer chooses to present. I don't know much about timeframes in the creative writing process, but is it feasible to pair up a writer and a photographer?

The photographer commits to taking a photo with narrative potential in the first hour of the 24 and mailing it to the writer. The writer then uses this as the basis for a piece of writing for the magazine. The photo and text are then published together.

Too short a timeline for a writer? Too much of the burden of work on the writer? Or a worthy challenge?

EDIT: Posted a thread on Creative Writing to see if there's any interest...

dakar wrote: »

I love pictures that tell stories, and even more those that make you wonder what's happening outside the narrow box that the photographer chooses to present. I don't know much about timeframes in the creative writing process, but is it feasible to pair up a writer and a photographer?

The photographer commits to taking a photo with narrative potential in the first hour of the 24 and mailing it to the writer. The writer then uses this as the basis for a piece of writing for the magazine. The photo and text are then published together.

Too short a timeline for a writer? Too much of the burden of work on the writer? Or a worthy challenge?

That would be cool indeed, could be very interesting to see what stories arise from a photograph. If we find committed writers, o don't think the timeframe should be a problem?

sNarah wrote: »
    That would be cool indeed, could be very interesting to see what stories arise from a photograph. If we find committed writers, o don't think the timeframe should be a problem?
    There's no timeline too short for the folks on here. We managed 16 stories in one hour start to finish one day :)

Apparently not! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

ooooh i like where this is going!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

This sound very interesting :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

I'd love to be involved in this :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Sounds great :-) Would love to get involved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

I'd like to be involved, if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wylie Luke

I love the sound of incorporating writing, there's a kind of fun danger about it, someone writing on your composition and the 2 being linked without your editorial input, what if the writer came up with something you completly dissagreed with? I'm not knoking it at all and will definitley be participating, it's kinda edgy!

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭picaaf

i think my english is failing me now. is this not like last year? can people not write to their own photos. someone please spread some light?

Just about to run out the door, so haven't read the entire thread/replies, just yet, but one thing i wanted to moan about (I love a good moan!) was last year's theme "In just one day" or "In just 24 hours" (whichever it was) didn't seem to really be incorporated into photographs (Which was a shame, because i'd say i easily submitted the worst, most dull and boring photo, when I had plenty of lovely images from the same feckin' day that I just couldn't work into the theme).

Or maybe other people's photos did work into the theme, but no one took the time to explain how? The cover photo last year was a great shot and it was the only one that I could tie to the theme. So i suggest, either the theme be done away with, or everyone has to write a short bit to explain how the photo ties in with the theme.

[/moaning]

:)

Just about to run out the door, so haven't read the entire thread/replies, just yet, but one thing i wanted to moan about (I love a good moan!) was last year's theme "In just one day" or "In just 24 hours" (whichever it was) didn't seem to really be incorporated into photographs (Which was a shame, because i'd say i easily submitted the worst, most dull and boring photo, when I had plenty of lovely images from the same feckin' day that I just couldn't work into the theme).

Or maybe other people's photos did work into the theme, but no one took the time to explain how? The cover photo last year was a great shot and it was the only one that I could tie to the theme. So i suggest, either the theme be done away with, or everyone has to write a short bit to explain how the photo ties in with the theme.

[/moaning]

I thought there was no theme it was just any photo taken within the 24 hour time frame.

picaaf wrote: »
    i think my english is failing me now. is this not like last year? can people not write to their own photos. someone please spread some light?

As far as I can make out your photo does not have to be accompanied by a written piece unless you are paired with a writer.

If you are paired with a writer you send the writer the photo and they write a short story to accompany the photo.

For the writer-paired photos I suggest that the photos be taken before 9pm the first night as sending the writer the photo at 2pm, which is 2 hours before the deadline is a bit late.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭picaaf

As far as I can make out your photo does not have to be accompanied by a written piece unless you are paired with a writer.

If you are paired with a writer you send the writer the photo and they write a short story to accompany the photo.

For the writer-paired photos I suggest that the photos be taken before 9pm the first night as sending the writer the photo at 2pm, which is 2 hours before the deadline is a bit late.

yep, thanks, that's as much i understood as well, but i'm still wondering if one could write own story to own photo or whether this 'paired with a writer' is the only way to contribute

It's entirely optional if you'd like your photos to be included in a collaboration with a writer.

Write your own words, or none, if you prefer.

As regards theme, I think ACD was just floating the idea to see if consensus could be reached on a theme. Chances are the theme will be 'photos taken in the allocated 24 hour period'.

It's a group effort and a bit of fun, so everyone gets an input in shaping what it becomes :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Yes, inspired one might say! (private joke folks!)

As regards theme, I reckon that as an annual publication, there's no great need to impose a specific theme, unless you want to have a nebulous one like 'Time' or 'Change' that sounds very high minded until you realise that almost any photo or project can be shoehorned into an abstract concept like that!

The theme appears not to be gaining much support, so as per now it looks like it will be an open choice or perhaps a choice between parties should there be collaboration underway for anyone.

I like the idea of being able to submit a page or article layout, if you wanted. This has the double benefit of taking some of the pressure off the designer and also allows the photographer the leeway to flex their creative muscles a bit and dictate how their images work together and sit on the page. I found when doing a sofobomo that that's a challenging and satisfying process in itself.

Not a bad idea other than that it would lead to inconsistency in the publication. This may not be a particular problem / may actually be an attraction.
    Is there an issue with the number of pages in a Magcloud production? In a purely online edition, obviously that's not a problem, but in the hypothetical (although admittedly unlikely) event that 50 photographers want to submit 4 page articles each, that makes for a sizeable dead tree production. But a limit on submissions based on [whispers] quality [/whispers] is not fair in an open forum based project either. It's a similar discussion that crops up in the book project, with the difference that in the book, everyone gets one page and commits to buy. That's a kind of democracy. What if I decide I want to fill 10 pages with pictures of my sofa, it's not fair to expect everyone who wants to buy a copy to have to pay for 10 pages of my self indulgence. Ultimately, I suppose there may need to be a limit on volume per entrant, with power lying in the hands (and recycle bin) of the editor...

Good point. Dead trees implies a limit. Many submitted multiple images last year and I think it worked really well in the online implementation. Essentially it was up to Chris what way the layout went, with some requesting particular layouts and being facilitated where possible/practical.

Maybe this time we need a particular commitment from people in the lead up to the day, and work out how many page(s) will be available to people. This would be a minimum available pages to the contributor. The actual may be different depending on what is ultimately submitted. Again, designer should have ultimate control here beyond.
    Also. Yay! really enjoyed this project last year.

Thanks for resurrecting it ACD :)

No bother, I think everyone found it a worthwhile experience.

\o/
    artyeva wrote: »
    ditto on the yays, i'm in :)

i like the idea of the print version too. but please - no themes!!!!!.... keeping it wide and open and personal rather will [more than likely] yield more a more varied and interesting end product.

ok, ok, i'm hearing ya, no themes, NO themes :)

it's the same weekend as the Belmullet photowalk, but should be still manageable. I can offer film developing and PP/e-mailing facilities to anyone here at the time who'd like to take part.

cool, should be lots of opportunities there. And film is one logistic which we will need lots of assistance with so any options will be most welcome. Thanks.

Depending on the time-frame, just using the chosen photos as themes for prose pieces might be a straightforward enough idea for a collaboration.

Time frame ultimately is 24 hours for the project (start to finish) - normally (at least last year) there was a cut off point for production work to continue. If there are collaborations ongoing between photographers/writers then the timeframe may be more limited as it may pan out - entirely depends on how a collaboration may be agreed upon by the participants i'd guess.
    Not being in the country there's not a whole lot I'd be able to contribute logistics wise.

No bother. Logistics is reasonably tight, fewer may be better than more with such a tight timeframe. The main aspects for participants will be to work to a schedule either on their own or within a group.
    When you say a documentary, do you mean a photo-doc or a piece of film outside the scope of the book itself?

Nothing firm but documentary would be just a style and could be either a photo documentary - photos only, or could be a collaboration of reportage photos and words. Some may decide the collaboration would be to go somewhere and document something, talking to some people and reporting their stories. But nothing set in stone here. It shouldn't either attract or put someone off the project.

All the above, just opinions and musings :)

Chorcai wrote: »
    Delighted that this is going ahead !

I'd gladly do the design again, college life consumed me over the last few months but it's summer time now ! If someone else would like to do the dsesign thats no problem, I can forward the files (I used InDesign CS4).

Deadly. At least we're good to go on the design front. I'm with you on the idea of others taking a lead here too. Option is there for people to step forward.

I'm not sure the benefit of more pairs of hands (design & direction may be enough on the actual day?). Given last years experience, it may have been better that there were just two of us on the day banging heads on any issues that arose. Time doesn't forgive needing to consult a committee. Not sure if you'd concur with that but that'd be my recollection of it.

From a production/design point of view, much like last year, agree a size and page layout/ photo size etc well before hand it will make things much easier I think we left it a wee bit late last time. This time round things might be differant depends on Magclouds printing set-up.

With magcloud, we have one size and one size only:
    Currently we support a single page size. You upload an 8.5" × 11" PDF and we trim it down to a final size of 8.25" × 10.75".

For you print pros, you can also create 8.25" × 10.75" pages with bleed margins out to 8.5" × 11" - 0.125" on the top and bottom, 0.25" on the outside edge.

Em, hope that makes sense to you ;)

Timeframes look reasonable for the Creative Writing forum folks should any get involved.

I'd think you'd have to leave it reasonably open between parties involved and everyone involved would need to be as flexible as possible. A number of models such as the one you suggest would evolve. By all means they should be put on thread so that people can consider what way can they could potentially collaborate.
    ooooh i like where this is going!

Could be mighty interesting for the writers and photographers.

I don't think it will be exclusive to collaboration. It may not transpire that there are enough people wanting to collaborate/people just wanting to do their own thing, and this can be respected and worked with.
    This sound very interesting :)

Yup - save the date ;)
    Antilles wrote: »
    I'd love to be involved in this :)

ditto :)
    Cork_girl wrote: »
    Sounds great :-) Would love to get involved!

Absolutely, be great to have you on board ;)

next few posts coming up (again, all opinions and musings so shout if you've alternate ideas).

I'd like to be involved, if possible.

excellent. keep the date 24/7 :)
    Wylie Luke wrote: »
    I love the sound of incorporating writing, there's a kind of fun danger about it, someone writing on your composition and the 2 being linked without your editorial input, what if the writer came up with something you completly dissagreed with?

it'd be a leap of faith, and a learning experience, an opening of minds, and a bit of 'letting go' too. Collaborating leading to something the sum of which being greater than the individual parts.
    Wylie Luke wrote: »
    I'm not knoking it at all and will definitley be participating, it's kinda edgy!

Cool stuff - it is actually quite an edgy experience.

Yes, of course. If people want to take a photo and write a narrative (creative, reportage, creative reportage if that isn't an irony), then this is entirely possible. I think it would be a nice option for people to have to collaborate. But again, it isn't necessary. The format will be open - individual photographer with photos only, or with photos and a narrative, or a collaboration or images and words.

I understand. The idea last year was to leave it entirely open - "In just one day" actually was *supposed* to leave it open to what every photographer encountered in one day.

[/moaning]

moaning is fine :) it makes the thing stronger in this, the next year. This is where words can often be interpreted differently which may be where the theme failed for you to encapsulate whatever you were shooting in just one day - the 24 hours of 24/7.

Absolutely.

A bit like reply to Darren earlier, the method of interacting with a collaborator will need to be flexible, and different models may work for differing people. From that which you and Darren have suggested to two people actually getting together, going somewhere, doing something, recording it, being inspired by it, and submitting the resulting creativity in images and words.
    yep, thanks, that's as much i understood as well, but i'm still wondering if one could write own story to own photo or whether this 'paired with a writer' is the only way to contribute

You are 100% here. If you like to write then write. If you like to take photographs, then take photographs. If you do both then by all means do both. If you'd like to collaborate with someone then we'll resolve a mechanism by which this can happen. It's an open project so there will be as much flexibility as possible for people.
    It's entirely optional if you'd like your photos to be included in a collaboration with a writer.

Write your own words, or none, if you prefer.

Yup, what he said.
    As regards theme, I think ACD was just floating the idea to see if consensus could be reached on a theme. Chances are the theme will be 'photos taken in the allocated 24 hour period'.

It's a group effort and a bit of fun, so everyone gets an input in shaping what it becomes :)

Yup again.

:D

that's all points responded to, if i've missed anything then just post up again.

if anyone wants to take over its running or designing then step forward and let us know. It would be unusual for anyone to die in the process (at least not yet :D)

Another couple of days and there should be a solid shape on how it might work for the day.

Remember, at the start of 24 hours we have nothing. 24 hours later we have a polished publication. And this year the option for people to buy it in dead tree format. A lot of fun should be had in the meantime.

Thanks a million to everyone to get so actively involved. This is the most typing i've done on a thread in a long while :pac:

Jaysus, busy much :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Is there an issue with the number of pages in a Magcloud production? In a purely online edition, obviously that's not a problem, but in the hypothetical (although admittedly unlikely) event that 50 photographers want to submit 4 page articles each, that makes for a sizeable dead tree production. But a limit on submissions based on [whispers] quality [/whispers] is not fair in an open forum based project either.

Just have book 1, book 2 book 3 as needed if size is a problem.

anyway sign me up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Just registering in thread that I'd like to get involved in this (and by posting I'm forcing myself to commit to it :o).

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

This sounds brilliant, I've been meaning to colaborate with a writer for the past year but haven't got my ass in gear. Last year was a blast and really fun setting a challenge for Rowan(theboat) and myself.

I had planned to organise a model shoot this year. Shoot, processes, and write up a tutorial or two on lighting and/or processing of images but I'm away that weekend.

Could be a cool idea for somebody else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Tie me up and commit me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

Love to get involved with this, such a cool idea :D

• Advertisement

So, there seems to be some interest in continuing with a part II to this project.

For consideration:

Last Years T&C -

Is there a need to update? In the context of including some writers here there may well be a need so i'll post over on the CW forum too.

Project Name: This is the 24 Hour Magazine project

Project Description: A collaboration of photographers being organised through the borards.ie photography forum in order to produce an entire magazine of photography in the space of 24 hours (due to technical considerations the actual 24 hours differs for film and digital shooters - see below).

When? Saturday, 24th of July - 24/7
    The 24hours for digital shooters will be on 24th of July
    The 24hours for film shooters will begin on the 23rd of July

For practical reasons, the 24 hours start at 7am 4am on the relevant day (for film or digital) and continue for 24 hours through to a possible* 7am 4am the following day. [Note: This updated to allow for sunrise shooters]

* people are not really expected to be shooting through the night but this timing will allow a little lee-way for the volunteer designers at the late stage of the evening to go the "last mile" if needed without being tied to 12 mid-night.

Who is it for? It's for everyone!
    The boards photography forum is welcoming of everyone, all styles, all levels from beginner to professional to expert. The common criteria that joins us all together and the reason we come back to the forum is that we enjoy photography, and enjoy each others company whether lurking or partaking in discussion. Hence, everyone is welcome to partake in this project.

Do I need a fancy smancy camera? Nope, your work will stand on its own and not compared with others so whether you are shooting with a pinhole matchbox, a Holga, a digital point and shoot, a SLR, medium format, or the latest in dSLR technology, then your efforts will be equally welcome.

Because it is your work which will be showcased, it is anticipated that you will stretch yourself in your efforts on the day in whatever it is that you decide to shoot.

When can I submit images? Anytime after the start of the 24 hours but before 9pm on the 24th July (please check back here before the start of the project as this may need to be altered depending on the designers).

Where do i submit images? A dedicated email has been set up to receive submissions which will keep all submissions in the one place for the designers to work on. The email address is 24hourmagazine at gmail dot com (obviously replace the at with @ and dot with . and remove spaces).

What format do the images need to be in? Full size jpeg images - processed as you want them to be.

Every effort will be made to include images as submitted with no modification. I'm guessing that the designers may in some instances need to apply a crop to 'make things fit' on the page and you will need to trust the project to do this in a tasteful manner. Every attempt will be made to retain the spirit of the submitted image. Any editorial decision in this regard will be final as time will not allow for prior opinion or permission to be sought.

How many images / photographs can I submit? There is no limit. You may submit a single image, or a series of images to convey your shooting efforts of the day. By submitting an image you are guaranteed to have at least one of your images published. Thereafter, it becomes an editorial decision as to what can reasonably be published. Obviously, if a sequence of images need to convey a documentary shoot then every effort will be made to include the series. In terms of images that wouldn't be included would be down to practicalities of the day - for example if someone submits 100 images then it is likely that a selection of those images would be used. Ideally, the photographer submits their selection.

Copyright? I value my work The project values your work too and respects your legitimate rights to your image thus the copyright of the image which is submitted remains with the photographer.

In order for the submission/image(s) to be published, you need to licence the project in good faith and in the spirit of the project, in perpetuity and non revocable terms your consent to have your submission/image(s) used in the publication.

Will the publication be purely online or will there be a paper publication? At present the publication will be online through a service like issuu.com It has been asked if there is a possibility that people could get a printed copy. While this won't happen in the immediate term, by participating you are agreeing that it may happen at some stage if an appropriate printing mechanism were available. In such a case then your submission would be included in its published form. This would be undertaken only on a not for profit basis (most likely for participants to gain a paper copy of the publication with their work in it).

Can I submit a text article? Yes.

What details are needed with a submission? Be clear with the information which you submit.

It would be helpful for you to include:
    Your name:
    Your boards.ie username:
    A title for your image:
    A description of the image/photograph:

Optional other details:
    Your website/ your blog / your email / other contact information
    Where taken:
    When taken (time - we'll already know it was the 24th or 23rd)
    A text article to accompany your image

Is there any material of a type which can't be submitted? In general the publication will work under the normal boards.ie photography forum charter provisions and the general ethos and acceptable behaviour of the forum. Hence anything which is normally allowed on the boards.ie photography forum is acceptable.

Also needed: Suggestions as to how best hook up people - writers and photographers, (obviously those that want to be hooked up)??????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Markham

Would love to be involved again, and will put some words to the piece this time, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I'm heading off to Irish College that day and would never get time to shoot/process/upload for this. Maybe next year... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 miss.devine

hi all, i'm new to boards but love the 24hr book idea. i had a wee peeky at last years and thought the diversity was great so i would personally stay away from themes. just a thought. i'd love to get involved but pretty new to digital and computers so not sure what services i could offer. i'll keep tuned in anyways.

cheersy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Just a thought but the 24th July is SUNDAY!

hi guys, i love the idea of the combinatin of writing too but for myself i don't think it's possible. i'll probably use digital as i'm limited for time. i'm working 10am-5pm on sunday, after work i'll be running along the side of the grand canal to get onto a boat party that i booked months ago. i was planning to take tha camera along and try document the afternoon/evening/night. i'll literally be getting home bout 1am or so which doesn't leave much time for editing. i don't spend much time on post production i.e. exposure, cropping etc, but still think this will be a push.

am i living in a dream world thinking this will be possible.....

• Advertisement

Haven't had too much time for updates here so i'll hopefully get a full post done later with everything you guys need to know (which isn't terribly much anyhow - it is *everything* done within 24 hours!). Stay tuned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Being busy on SoFoBoMo, I am not regular here now. I will have a photo and then read T&C ;)

Still planning to do this too

Executive summary TL/DR - We're go for Sunday. Take a picture. Write some text. Submit to the email address below before 9pm. Wait and see your work come together in a magazine produced in under 24 hours.

Details, T & C's, etc...

Project Name: This is the 24 Hour Magazine project

Project Description: Photographers, writers and/or a collaboration of both which is being organised through the borards.ie photography & creative writing forum in order to produce an entire magazine of creative endeavors in the space of 24 hours.

When? Sunday, 24th of July - 24/7

By midnight on 24th, a publication will be uploaded or uploading but eitherways it will be complete.

Who is it for? It's for everyone!
    The project is welcoming of everyone, all styles, all levels from beginner, professional and/or expert. The common criteria that joins us all together and the reason we come back to our fora is that we enjoy the creative arts, and enjoy each others company whether lurking or partaking in discussion. Hence, everyone is welcome to partake in this project.

If taking photographs, do I need a fancy smancy camera? Nope, your work will stand on its own and not compared with others so whether you are shooting with a pinhole matchbox, a Holga, a digital point and shoot, a SLR, medium format, or the latest in dSLR technology, then your efforts will be equally welcome.

What is expected of participants?
    Because it is your work which will be showcased, it is anticipated that you will stretch yourself in your efforts on the day in whatever it is that you decide to shoot or whatever you decide to write about.

When can I submit my work? Ideally *before* 9pm in order to ensure your work can be included but don't wait until 9pm. If you have your work complete then submit anytime after the start of the 24 hours on the 24th July (please check back here before the start of the project as this may need to be altered depending on the designers).

Where do i submit work? A dedicated email has been set up to receive submissions which will keep all submissions in the one place for the designer to work on. The email address is 24hourmagazine at gmail dot com (obviously replace the at with @ and dot with . and remove spaces).

What format should my work be submitted?

For photographers: Full size jpeg images.
    For writers: Plain text ideally.

Every effort will be made to include works as submitted with no modification. That said, it is the aspiration. I'm guessing that the designer may in some instances need to apply a crop to images or alter as they see appropriate to 'make things fit' on the page layouts. You will need to trust the project to do this in a tasteful manner albeit that everyone's taste may be different. Ok, last year no one died so we should be alright. Every attempt will be made to retain the spirit of the submitted work but any editorial decision in this regard will be final as time will not allow for prior opinion or permission to be sought.

How many images / photographs / words can I submit? There is no limit. You may submit a single image, or a series of images to convey your shooting efforts of the day. You may submit a short story or a lengthy prose piece. By submitting something, you are guaranteed to have something published. Thereafter, it becomes an editorial decision as to what can reasonably be published. Obviously, if a sequence of images need to convey a documentary shoot then every effort will be made to include the series. Also, the intention would be to include creative writing in their full. In terms of work that possibly wouldn't be included - it would be down to practicalities of the day - for example if someone submits 100 images then it is likely that a selection of those images would be used.

Copyright? I value my work The project values your work too and respects your legitimate rights to your creation thus the copyright of the work which is submitted remains with the creator - the photographer / author/writer.

But the project needs a little liberty in this regard. This is important to understand. In order for your submission to be published, you need to licence the project in good faith and in the spirit of the project, in perpetuity and non revocable terms your consent to have your submission/image(s) used in the publication. There is no financial consideration or payment for being involved. The project is entirely voluntary.

Will the publication be purely online or will there be a paper publication? In the first instance, the resulting publication will be online through a service called issuu.com (where it was published last year). The intention is also to have an "on demand" magazine in print format available through magcloud. This is a first for using magcloud so please bear with us should it take a little longer to figure out ;)

By submitting your work you are agreeing to the work being published both online and in paper format.

There is no profit from this venture. The print format will be provided at cost and it is completely optional if people wish to buy a copy or not.

It would be helpful for you to include:
    Your name:
    Your boards.ie username:
    A title/headline for your work:
    In the case of photography, a description of the image/photograph:

Optional other details:
    Your website/ your blog / your email / other contact information
    Where taken:
    When taken (time - we'll already know it was the 24th)
    A text article to accompany your image

Is there any material of a type which can't be submitted? In general the publication will work under the normal boards.ie photography and creative writing fora charter provisions and the general ethos and acceptable behaviour of the forum. Hence anything which is normally allowed on the boards.ie photography & creative writing fora is acceptable.

I want to collaborate with a writer / photographer, How do I organise it

In the absence of a tried and tested way of approaching this, i'm suggesting to simply post brief detail of what you hope to do and what you are looking for. If someone bites they can answer your post. If nothing comes of it, don't worry it's not rejection, just an appropriate match wasn't found. Do your thing anyway on the day and submit it.

Is there a theme?

There isn't a prescribed theme. It is open. Knock yourself out. Do your best. You can set yourself a theme or a challenge if you want to - it's up to you, or if collaborating with another boardsie, you can agree a theme between yourselves.

Shout if you've any queries. I hope to be online quite a bit over this weekend ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭fluffyVW

Excellent might give this a go!

• Advertisement

gutted! unfortunately 9pm is too early for me to submitt anything due to work and prior engagements. good luck guys!

http://issuu.com/boards-24hourmagazine/docs/boards-247magazine

I take it last years layouts were ok, if anyone would like to add any ideas let me know.

gutted! unfortunately 9pm is too early for me to submitt anything due to work and prior engagements. good luck guys!

a 12mid day on 23rd to 12mid day on 24th :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

I'd love to write a story for this....how do we pick and choose? Anyone want to email me their photo? Have written a few short stories on here,should be in my posts if anyone wants a look :)

a 12mid day on 23rd to 12mid day on 24th :)

Nope, but my fault. Settled on the full day of 24th

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is this on now? Has anyone got any partnership plans?

Is this on now? Has anyone got any partnership plans?

It sure is ! I'll be back around 5pm to start laying out the mag, I hope this time I can get a few photos haha. Hope to get to the forest walk across from me so if anyone has story to suit let me know.

Ok, not entirely sure what I'll be submitting however given my location today there is likely to be a castle, a river, and an old graveyard. If any writer wants to latch onto one or more of these you are more than welcome. Have guests at home so will be early evening before I get out to shoot. Shout if there is anything in particular. Also probably will be black and White and contrasty/moody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Ok, not entirely sure what I'll be submitting however given my location today there is likely to be a castle, a river, and an old graveyard. If any writer wants to latch onto one or more of these you are more than welcome. Have guests at home so will be early evening before I get out to shoot. Shout if there is anything in particular. Also probably will be black and White and contrasty/moody.

I'd take a look at that, if no other writer wants it.

clouds here. so contrasty moody shot too:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement