Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Certificate *AFTERMATH*

• 24-06-2011 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

So now that the exams are over what did you guys think of them overall?

How did you find the Leaving Cert? 87 votes

Very Easy
    0% 0 votes
    Easy
    5% 5 votes
    Normal
    17% 15 votes
    Hard
    55% 48 votes
    Very Hard
    17% 15 votes
    Nightmare
    4% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Phareon

Overall they were grand!! A few minor slip-ups, but I'm well pleased!
    To be perfectly honest they were fun! I'd definitely do them again if I needed to! Hopefully won't need to though, let's just see how results go! Only 54 days left :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I don't know, some exams were horrible and others were great, hard to tell tbh! I could never do it again though, I'm exhausted and the stress was ridiculous! Just glad to be rid of the crappy system!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I just can't comprehend the fact that the hardest exams I will ever need to do in my life time are done and dusted.

I met up with one of my friends whose in college this morning and even he agrees that school exams will always be more stressful because you have to do so many more subjects and so many more teachers chasing you for homework.

I'm praying to God I get the points for my course. My mum keeps asking me how did I do so I will be pleased to never hear about the LC again once my results come out:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I'm happy. I think you know during them if,realistically,youre going to get your course or not.
    Doing mine last year I knew I wasn't going to get enou points. I'm the opposite this year,there was no test I was really disappointed with.
    Tests were far easier than last year btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 anna_k

I found the whole experience ridiculously stressful...not just the exams but the months up to it aswell...i honestly don't think i could ever bring myself to repeating even if I don't get my course. but its ok now because im FINISHED!!! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

3 and a half hours of sleep last night..! :eek: Stupid Applied Maths...

For the past 2 weeks (especially the last week, even though I had hardly any exams the past week) I have been so tired (mentally and physically..).. I'm the last of my friends (and one of the last 3 of the whole school) to finish!

CANNOT WAIT FOR TONIGHT! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Biology - Grand
    English - Wasnt happy with paper 1 section B but grand otherwise
    History - Awful
    French - Grand
    Art- Grand
    Agri Science - Horrendous

Ironically, it was the ones I thought Id do good in - History and Ag science - turned out to be the worst :rolleyes:

Come on 370...Arts Arts Arts

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

Happy enough I suppose. . .nothing was parfait, but thats the way it goes. . .

Maths - Apart from most of Paper 1, not too much worries! That marking scheme will be tinkered with anyway. . .

Gaeilge - Bhí sé go brea, is docha. . .táim brea abalta san ábhar ar aon nós. . .níl fonn orm dán nó prós a fheiscint riamh arís. . .

English - Quietly satisfied. . .but you can never tell. . .most of my friends were delighted with it. . .

French - Je l'aime beaucoup. . .mais je suis nul au Francais. . .my worst subject, and the one I put the most work into. . .that was a mistake, but now I like french. . .not too shabbs, eh?

Physics - Couldn't really complain about the paper, but tbh, I wasn't as prepared as I should have been, really. . .hopefully the 2 extra questions will stand to me

Accounting - My best subject, and probably my best result. . .gotta love marginal costing, and the amount of choice on that paper. . .

Music - I'd had a perfect practical, so a nice listening paper was a bonus. . .bit thrown by the minor harmony, but did an extra harmony and extra melody-writing(notes to a song) as well, despite never having done tham before. . .shot in the dark, but if they follow the same pattern, an A1 will hopefully result

Applied Maths - Didn't really perform. . .exam wasn't particularly sticky, part from impacts and projectiles, but badly answered them. . .

. . .:cool:. . .thats all that off my chest. . . .let the note-burning commence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Dbstf wrote: »
    So now that the exams are over what did you guys think of them overall?
    /looks at thread title

/writes letter to solicitor re: copyright infringement

:p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Oenone

Music - I'd had a perfect practical, so a nice listening paper was a bonus. . .bit thrown by the minor harmony, but did an extra harmony and extra melody-writing(notes to a song) as well, despite never having done tham before. . .shot in the dark, but if they follow the same pattern, an A1 will hopefully result

How did you get time to do extra questions in the Composing :eek:?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

English - Got steamrolled by the poetry section but hopefully the rest of my two papers will be good enough to get a decent grade
    Irish - Best I've ever felt after an Irish test. Probably because I actually learned some phrases for the essay
    Maths - Found the paper to be grand overall (ordinary level)
    French - Pass paper was so easy!
    Engineering - Some of the questions were very specific but I think I did well enough
    Art - Disaster of a paper. I'm going to review my script just to laugh at the crap I wrote :p
    Geography - Had to bluff my way through one or two questions but it was a good paper. Could have been a lot worse.
    Biology - Sections 1 and 2 were easy enough. Had trouble with Section 3
    Music - Did a good practical, composition couldn't have suited me better and the listening paper was fairly easy in comparison to other years.

Happy overall but really feel I didn't do myself justice. Repeating may be on the cards. Wouldn't know how I'd cope if I had to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

If you think LC exams are the hardest you will do in life, wait till you hit college...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Sparkie93

i really regret picking foundation for maths and i need a C3 for biology and i could only answer three long questions so probably didnt get even a D:(
    the rest of exams went fine i think its stupid we have to wait till august it ruins the summer i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Sparkie93 wrote: »
    i really regret picking foundation for maths and i need a C3 for biology and i could only answer three long questions so probably didnt get even a D:(
    the rest of exams went fine i think its stupid we have to wait till august it ruins the summer i think

Takes a long time to correct. Loads of scripts with a small number of markers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

English (H) - Atypical questions but overall not any more challenging than previous years. A fairly good exam.
    Maths (H) - Evil Paper I and a less evil Paper II. I did eight questions on both papers which surprised me seeing as in the mocks I barely had enough time for six. If Paper I was a bit more normal, I would have been far happier. As it stands I'm still pretty disappointed with how Paper I went.
    Irish (H) - An extremely nice Paper I and Paper II. My oral went reasonably well but my listening was extremely poor. Considering all I want from HL Irish is a pass, i'm not too bothered about Irish.
    French (H) - A strangely easy listening and written paper. My oral went quite well IIRC so overall i'm pretty happy with French.
    Engineering (H) - I loved the project this year. The practical exam wasn't too bad either. The written paper was the same as any other year, very predictable.
    Biology (H) - A few strangely worded questions throughout the paper but quite nice overall.
    Business (H) - The ABQ was lovely this year, as were the long questions.
    Chemistry (H) - Loved this exam... but then again I like most Chemistry exams :pac:

Overall, besides a few slip ups here and there, i'd say it went quite well. I'm glad it's all over now though, the past two years have been so stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

Oenone wrote: »
    How did you get time to do extra questions in the Composing :eek:?

. . .I dunno. . ..i'd so much time. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Geog ariphic

Naikon wrote: »
    If you think LC exams are the hardest you will do in life, wait till you hit college...

i gave u sarcastic thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

Overall not too bad, but then again I've always been very harsh/critical on myself

English (H)
    Devastated personally. The papers and questions were fine, but I left out 10% of paper 1, (5% overall) and that threw me. Paper 2 was ok but time constraints are a bummer when it comes to expressing yourself in English. Was hoping for an A1 in English but I'm looking at a B2 or so now :(

Irish (H)
    Paper one was lovely jubly and I was glad I could sort of get a pre-prepared essay in with only some adjustments. Paper 2 was..ok.. for me. Irish has never been my strongest subject (only moved to Ireland when I was 10) but would love a B3 in it? Maybe I'm being too optimistic?

Maths (O)
    Since I moved to OL before Christmas I genuinely didn't open my maths book at home, heck, I didn't even have a maths book! :rolleyes: Stupidly (I realise now) I only went to a few classes believing I could wing an A1 but alas, doubt I got much better than a B1. :o *smacks own head for cockyness*

French (H)
    J'adore le Francaise! It was grand I think. Bit pee'd off about the preposition still :P . Also I realised afterwards that in the production écrites I didn't agree "leur" with the noun. *smacks head again for stupidity*

Geography (H)
    I know it's not down to the teacher but maaan my geography teacher is arguably the crappest teacher on the planet! Anyway, I know I was destined to do bad in geography but I actually thought it went OK surprisingly! :) I liked the way the questions weren't the predictable ones and you actually had to think for a change :)

Home Ec (H)
    I loved Home Ec in school, wanted an A1. BUT. (English P1 and Home Ec were on the same day) After English paper 1 I was on the phone to a relative and while I was reading through the paper telling him how great it was I realised that I'd left out 10% of it by accident. Came off the phone, went to the bathroom and cried until the Home Ec exam and didn't focus on the Home Ec exam at all because of my fúck up in English. *smacks head for being an emotional little girl*

Biology
    Loved it. The only subject I was delighted coming out of. Pretty handy too since it was my last one :D

*I have a sore head :( *

Anyway they weren't near as bad as I thought they would be and I'd actually do it again if I had to! Although if I don't have an epiphany of sorts in the next 6 days about what to put on the CAO I'll probably end up repeating whatever the results are :cool:
    After English paper 2 I actually came out and I was out of breath. Felt like I'd just run a marathon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

Most exhausting experience of my life. I mean, the actual exams were fine (way better than I expected)... just so, so tiring!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

Thinking now's a good time to write this down as I've been 'celebrating' tonight and therefore should be at my most truthful...

Irish (O)
    Went grand, I don't expect to set the world on fire. A D or a C is all I need. I'm not counting this toward points.
    English (H)
    Thought this was alright enough, I studied Wordsworth as my main and was disappointed. I'm happy with a high C.
    Maths (O)
    I'd be happy to pass Paper One. Paper 2 is where I should pick up the marks. I need a C3
    Chemistry (H)
    Thought this was alright, Need a C3, would be happy with that.
    DCG (H)
    Again thought this was ok. I know I didn't work hard enough but I did a good project so if I can pass the paper I'll do grand.
    History (H)
    While I thought that the essay titles weren't great and I only managed to absolutely finish one essay (10 paragraphs), I managed to get a comparative analysis in every one and a quote in 2/4. Would be quite happy with a high C
    German (H)
    Thought this was great! Should get an A/B1 anyway.
    Music (H)
    Happier with it than I expected to be. Listening went great, composing a bit sketchy. I had 2 aul ones grading my practical and my drumming was so loud that they actually went out of the room.. Really put me off but I played well and I'm confident in my playing do....

Overall I'm thinking that it was a bit of a weird year but, not too bad. I think I got what I needed (5 C3's, 1C2).

• Advertisement

why do'ntt you reply for the craic
    so heres me replying, just for the Craic like xD.
    Was it part b u left out of engp1?

so heres me replying, just for the Craic like xD.
    Was it part b u left out of engp1?

Yes :(:(:(

bad dose. I think i did a good cliche diary about a chick who accidentally killed her bf....=D
    i wanted to jump off some large structure when i saw a phycis question, that was eeeaaaasy, that i didnt finish properly cos i didnt reread the question. Always reread...
    Overall they went very well, my two worst were german and applied maths(i think app maths), and that was a direct consequence of the teachers. Yes LittleMiss, you can blame the teacher.

There are seriously uderskilled ppl in schools who are employed to teach and who are just awful. My best teachers were not necesarily the one's who knew their subject best, but those who made u really understand, through practice and letting u question whats going on in a topic or question) (eg my maths teacher, who is a strong contender for best maths teacher in the school but didnt know about the circle yoke). My bio teacher too. They let u really like a subject - that's what the teacher's first job is.

Crap! No it was part iii) of question A I left out in English! 20 marks! Not question B!

Yo, chill the biscuits, chick dude.
    Thats not so bad. Not as bad as this: one girl in my year said she spent an hour on QA(ii). For 15 marks. A full hour.
    In german i was literlly going to skip the 25 mark question (discourse on topic), an when he was collecting I scracthed down 3 lines. Plus german has less marks therefore i'll loose alot more. You. Will. Be. Grand. =D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

I liked it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Maths(O) - Not the best
    English(O) -Quite well I think
    French(O) - Good
    Business(H) - Great apart from forgetting a few things
    Engineering(H) - Good didn't remember everything but went ok
    Geography(H) - Good, my essay didn't come up but the long questions , and with the project it'll be alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

In Order:

English (H) -
    Paper 1 - Went quite well I thought, Descriptive essay could've been more descriptive but used good English in it so should be okay.
    Paper 2 - Poet came up (Frost), Hamlet question was alright, may just have answered Comparative wrong, strayed from topic of question.
    Happy with high C/low B.

Geography (H) - Alright paper, wish I studied more but am an expert at waffling on but managed to stick a few good points in there. Good project too. Low B.

Maths (O) - Moved from from higher start of this year, done next to no work, pres were a wake-up call when I got a C2, put in some proper study then, Paper 1 - Beyond a breeze, A1, Paper 2 always lets me down, B1 I'd say. A2 average.

Business (H) - Didnt fall for me at all! Everyone else said it was a lovely paper, granted I took it as an extra subject and taught myself but still found some Q's a little iffy and dropped easy marks in places. High C/Low B.

French (O) - A breeze. Moved down from honours before Pres, didn't have to study, difference is phenomenal. Gone after an hour or so. Listening easy too. Oral might bring me down. A2/B1.

Biology (H) - Deemed it a failure before I went in, aim was to not fail, ended up doing alright, delighted with a C3.

Chemistry (H) - One of my stronger subjects usually but paper seemed to target my weak areas. Looking for A B2 beforehand, might have got a C2...
    Very disappointed.

All in all though average enough if you take them all into account...
    Should get my course anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 JReilly

Business:
    Very good. The ABQ was challenging enough, as were the short questions. The long questions were superb. Defo a C1 or a B3.

English:
    Again, it was good. I was kind of iffy after doing the essay question on the 24 hour routine of someone in the city, but the question on Emily Dickinson, Cultural Context and Claudius more than made up for it. I reckon I scraped a C1.

Art:
    Decent enough. The Art History exam was lovely, but I was kinda iffy with my sculpture on the theme of "The Explorer." I felt I could have put a bit more detail into the design sheet, but I'd say I did alright. I reckon I scored around a C2.

Irish(OL):
    My Irish teacher was hopeless. He went through feck all revision throughout the year and most of the class was left clueless with the poetry and stories. Paper 1 was fine, but Paper 2 was a pure disaster. Defo scraped around a D.

Spanish:
    A mixed bag. The oral, opinion piece and Section C were spot on, but the rest of Section B and A were somewhat iffy. The aural was god awful as well, but I reckon I scored around a C3.

Maths(OL):
    Also a mixed bag. Both papers were challenging enough, especially the trigonometry question, but I'd say I managed to score around a C2. Never really that good at Maths to begin with. :P

Economics:
    Absolutely superb. All of the questions were doable. Question 2 of the long questions took a bit of time relative to the other questions, but it turned out good in the end. Definitely scored around a B3 or a B2.

Overall the Leaving Cert was a lot easier than I had expected, and was certainly much easier than the mocks. (I got 395 points on the mock paper) So I reckon I'll score very well once the results are released. :)

• Advertisement

Why would you be sitting in a box to think anyway?! rolleyes.gif
    You have to be the only one in Ireland to have realised the irony of that phrase. Bravo sir.

Advertisement