Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Certificate *AFTERMATH*

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Overall not too bad, but then again I've always been very harsh/critical on myself

English (H)
    Devastated personally. The papers and questions were fine, but I left out 10% of paper 1, (5% overall) and that threw me. Paper 2 was ok but time constraints are a bummer when it comes to expressing yourself in English. Was hoping for an A1 in English but I'm looking at a B2 or so now :(

Irish (H)
    Paper one was lovely jubly and I was glad I could sort of get a pre-prepared essay in with only some adjustments. Paper 2 was..ok.. for me. Irish has never been my strongest subject (only moved to Ireland when I was 10) but would love a B3 in it? Maybe I'm being too optimistic?

Maths (O)
    Since I moved to OL before Christmas I genuinely didn't open my maths book at home, heck, I didn't even have a maths book! :rolleyes: Stupidly (I realise now) I only went to a few classes believing I could wing an A1 but alas, doubt I got much better than a B1. :o *smacks own head for cockyness*

French (H)
    J'adore le Francaise! It was grand I think. Bit pee'd off about the preposition still :P . Also I realised afterwards that in the production écrites I didn't agree "leur" with the noun. *smacks head again for stupidity*

Geography (H)
    I know it's not down to the teacher but maaan my geography teacher is arguably the crappest teacher on the planet! Anyway, I know I was destined to do bad in geography but I actually thought it went OK surprisingly! :) I liked the way the questions weren't the predictable ones and you actually had to think for a change :)

Home Ec (H)
    I loved Home Ec in school, wanted an A1. BUT. (English P1 and Home Ec were on the same day) After English paper 1 I was on the phone to a relative and while I was reading through the paper telling him how great it was I realised that I'd left out 10% of it by accident. Came off the phone, went to the bathroom and cried until the Home Ec exam and didn't focus on the Home Ec exam at all because of my fúck up in English. *smacks head for being an emotional little girl*

Biology
    Loved it. The only subject I was delighted coming out of. Pretty handy too since it was my last one :D

*I have a sore head :( *

Anyway they weren't near as bad as I thought they would be and I'd actually do it again if I had to! Although if I don't have an epiphany of sorts in the next 6 days about what to put on the CAO I'll probably end up repeating whatever the results are :cool:
    After English paper 2 I actually came out and I was out of breath. Felt like I'd just run a marathon!

You left out A (iii) in English didn't you :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 epicwinning

Now that the Leaving Certificate 2011 is over, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the Department of Education for dumbing down maths. I'm going to call it right now that in 14-ish months, we'll be reading about how the standard of maths took a rather convenient rise (bonus points if we're dubbed "the worst year of maths yet").

On the plus side, I can act like and old person and say things like "back in my day we could actually add 1 and 1, not give a 3 page descriptive essay on how to add" to annoy younger people I know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Now that the Leaving Certificate 2011 is over, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the Department of Education for dumbing down maths. I'm going to call it right now that in 14-ish months, we'll be reading about how the standard of maths took a rather convenient rise (bonus points if we're dubbed "the worst year of maths yet").

On the plus side, I can act like and old person and say things like "back in my day we could actually add 1 and 1, not give a 3 page descriptive essay on how to add" to annoy younger people I know.

For a dumbed down exam, there was an awful lot of whinging going on here about how hard it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

The department will be glad to see that the poll results have a normal distribution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

spurious wrote: »
    For a dumbed down exam, there was an awful lot of whinging going on here about how hard it was.
    We're all terribly sorry for complaining. We should have expected a huge jump in standard. We should have looked at all those magical "Super Higher Level" 1970s/1980s papers instead of looking at our dumbed down exam papers for practice. How incredibly idiotic of us to expect that a near 15 year old exam wouldn't change drastically in standard and style.

:rolleyes:

Spurious, what exactly did you expect to happen after an exam like Maths Paper I? The standard of questions had remained relatively constant from the introduction of the syllabus. No one had expected the standard to rise so drastically.

Teachers taught us to the standard that previous exams had expected of candidates. We also practiced so as to attain the same standard. With six or seven other subjects, we do not have time to go above and beyond what is necessary. If we had known that they intended to "un-dumb" the exam and return it to the level of the exam during the 1970s/1980s then there would have been no problem whatsoever.

Sanctimoniously commenting on how people were whinging about a "dumbed down" exam is crass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

Fbjm wrote: »
    You left out A (iii) in English didn't you :P

Yes. I did.

And don't :P me I'm very upset about it :(

..........:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 epicwinning

Suspose I should really clarify what I meant (my bad).

To me, it seems as though the new course is more interested in verbose paragraph answers than actually being able to do calculations. I'm not even really annoyed by the questions like paper 1 q7(c) that we got. My point is mainly that if these type of questions are going to be the focus of project maths, there's going to be considerably less calculating and more interpretation questions.

On paper, this sounds like a good idea but it's like being asked a question about maths by a friend or sibling while they hold back the figures. Some people would prefer to explain how to do the question in general terms while others (and I bet the people who were "whinging" belong to this catagory) would rather have the numbers and work out the bloody answer.

Oh, and I didn't mean our exam was dumbed down. I meant the future ones would be. After all, the new Leaving Cert students will be taught how to cope with the new questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Spurious, I think he was referring to Project Maths.

Party, take it easy. There wasn't a "huge jump" in standard. There were a few unexpected tweaks / difficult enough bits in Paper 1 all right, and I can understand why they freaked people out somewhat. That's not the same thing though. And everyone seems to be agreed that Paper 2 was pretty normal.

Now, can everyone calm down please ... lots of cross-purposes going on here.

Now, can everyone calm down please ... lots of cross-purposes going on here.

I think it must be all the left over brain power from the LC. There's nothing to do with it except argue!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

Overall i'll say i'm happy with it, some things could have gone better and others were fantastic. i'm just happy it's all over, the amount of stress and how unbalanced your life becomes is horrific really. just going to enjoy the rest of june and july as come august i'll be a nervous wreck again with the results then the uncertainty of did/didn't i get my course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

Anyone else look at a clock and think, Damn. I've only got another three hours to study for my next exam? It's actually starting to get annoying. I am in no way excited about this summer and I don't know why! : (

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Geog ariphic

if your like me, its cos you've no good holiday coming up, no gigs or festivals, the posibility of a job wit crap wages, and apart from that no sense of purpose at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

B_Fanatic wrote: »
    Anyone else look at a clock and think, Damn. I've only got another three hours to study for my next exam? It's actually starting to get annoying. I am in no way excited about this summer and I don't know why! : (
    It's the natural anti-climax after the exam.

Suddenly this huge sense of purpose is gone out of your life, the adrenalin drains away, you feel down and mopish or even cranky.

It will take a while to adjust. I'm a great believer in lots of exercise and fresh air for it ... tire yourself out physically, then sleep yourself out at night.

Both will help your brain to adjust and balance things out again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

It's the natural anti-climax after the exam.

Suddenly this huge sense of purpose is gone out of your life, the adrenalin drains away, you feel down and mopish or even cranky.

It will take a while to adjust. I'm a great believer in lots of exercise and fresh air for it ... tire yourself out physically, then sleep yourself out at night.

Both will help your brain to adjust and balance things out again.

have to agree with this. going from doing so much to practically nothing is a huge transition. Have to adapt though!! I dunno do i kinda miss the lc lol:eek: dont like all this thinking time!

Sunny!! wrote: »
    have to agree with this. going from doing so much to practically nothing is a huge transition. Have to adapt though!! I dunno do i kinda miss the lc lol:eek: dont like all this thinking time!

Same here! I just cry for literally hours sometimes because I feel so useless now. Can't even get the motivation to tidy my bomb site of a bedroom either :(
    Never thought I'd say it but I miss the LC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Same here! I just cry for literally hours sometimes because I feel so useless now. Can't even get the motivation to tidy my bomb site of a bedroom either :(
    Never thought I'd say it but I miss the LC.

i thought i was a freak haha. The minute i finished i cleaned my room alright:) but im a person that cant relax stay idle, i always have to be doing stuff. Like during the lc school all day, grinds and more grinds after school getting home late and now its nothing. I suppose we're only off a week hopefully it will change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Oenone

Hmm I am also moping in my catastrophic war-zone of a room.
    I feel no excitement or anticipation at all.
    Perhaps when the results come out I shall.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

Spent a weekend in Cork (Plagued by the horrible Irish transport system which basically stole our money and left us stranded in Waterford - half way back to Carlow) and I'm now feeling a little excited. My age card comes next week and I think I'm feel;ing a bit more enthusiastic about nights out.

P.s. Fleet foxes are great, but as a live band? Good, but no better than a studio album and a cup of tea. Cork however is great city full of nice people. I never felt threatened for a second, even with the drunk fecker waving his nob around outside McDonalds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

History HL- Hmmm...was very happy with what came up in general, but the documents question was way too long and so my last essay was a rush-job due to time and pretty much unfinished..hope I got an A2 though, I think I deserve it with how well I did in the essays I managed to complete!

Religion HL-
    Was doing awesome in it until I ran out of time and couldn't even start a question which was 10% of the exam..probably the only exam in my life I could have gotten 100% in but the workload was way too much for a 2 and a half hour test....there was a question on the Mocks which was talk about 1 myth for 40 marks, but on the LC, there was this question; talk about 2 myths for 40 marks!! wtf?? Lucky to get an A2!

Latin HL-
    Good enough paper, I hope I got an A2 in it.

English HL-
    Great two papers...composition and comprehensions were easy as were the hamlet questions and the comparative..poets were good too...hope I got an A2, unless I get some prissy examiner...which I probably will! ffs!

Irish OL-
    Handy stuff. A2 fo' sho'.

Maths OL-
    Paper 1 was pretty dodgy, but just the part Cs...paper 2 was handy enough too...B3 or a B2/B1 maybe?

Biology HL-
    Pretty challenging but fair paper, i suppose. Maybe an A2 or a B1 :)

I'm hoping for 480 at least...that adds up to about 495 which I'd be very happy with! But this is all mainly wishful thinking..but who knows? I'm just gonna plant it until August!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭unknowntoown

Maths - paper 1 was ok , paper 2 was much nicer then i thought it would be its my worst paper and all.

History - Loved it, big fan of history couldnt of been more happier

English - Paper 1 was nice paper 2 was good but section 2 i didnt write much as i wanted too

Irish - easy i do foundation so nothing anyway

Geo - not sure to be honest, could go either way with me, was either great or terrible ha

Bio - again im not sure could go either way

Spanish - hope i pass it , my teacher didnt even start our 5th yr course yet, he was terrible, no comprende espanol

• Advertisement
Advertisement