Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity Pylons

Options
  • 24-06-2011 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all..

Can I get some opinions/directions on living near Electricty Masts/Pylons. We are considering buying a house In Johnstownbridge. Hower the particular house we are looking at is about 200 metres from a large Pylon.

Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

There have been studies reported that proximity to pylons may lead to an increased chance of cancer.

Good friends of mine live beside one, 2 of the four of them have got cancer since they moved in, one passed away. May be a freak incident but I'd worry.

Not scaremongering but look for published scientific studies in reputable journals.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Mikros

The general consensus is that there is a weak link between living in close proximity (less than 200 metres) and an increase in the risk of certain childhood leukemias. Thankfully the incidence of childhood leukimia is very rare (1 in 24000), and so even a doubling of the risk still means the actual number of extra cancers is very low.

There has been no other confirmed links though if you look on the internet you will find no shortage of other opinions including brain cancers, alzheimers, breast cancer. There is a lot of FUD out there on it. I would also ignore any anecdotes along the lines of "a guy i know lived beside a pylon and got cancer", they mean nothing on their own.

The magnetic field from the pylon depends on the voltage of the electricity, so not all pylons are equal in that regard. At 200 metres depending on the voltage any effects might be tiny. Personally it would not put me off living there. The odds are very much in your favour that there would be no resulting problem at all. Bad diet, no excercise, smoking, drinking etc. etc. will get you a lot faster. Keep the issue in context when thinking about it.

Read up on the topic, stick to reputable scientific sources, avoid any tabloid newspaper pieces and decide yourself on how you feel on it is the best advice really.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Post a picture of it, so then you will know what voltage your dealing with. Chances are it will be more of an eye sore than cause medical problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 enda.cusack@hp.

Thanks all for your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Thanks all for your advice.

What did you decide to do...

• Advertisement
Advertisement