Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dangerous cattle

• 24-06-2011 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭

Hello, I've a few questions I hope some of you might be able to answer for me.
    1-What are the best milk producing cattle? Jersey? Holstein? Fresian?
    1a, which breed would be more common for a small holding?

2-Bulls; what breed of bull would you consider to be the least safe temper wise?
    2a, would it be likely that a farmer would cross one breed of bull with a different breed cow? perhaps to improve stock? What breeds might be usually crossed. Not for beef, but for dairy.

Thanks for your consideration.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

2-Bulls; what breed of bull would you consider to be the least safe temper wise?
    2a, would it be likely that a farmer would cross one breed of bull with a different breed cow? perhaps to improve stock? What breeds might be usually crossed. Not for beef, but for dairy.

Holstein
    Holstein
    Jersey closely followed by Holstein
    Yes but its frowned upon:rolleyes:
    Ho x Je, Ho x SR, Ho x Mo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Thanks so much! Would you mind telling me why the Hx J crossbreed is frowned upon? I have not the faintest idea about cattle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

1. Holstein produce the most milk - Jersey produce much higher levels of protein and BF per litre but less litres
    1. Holstein or Friesian - actually Holstein Friesian cross is probably the most common now

2. Jersey followed closely by anything black and white
    2. Yes it would be fairly common - to get different traits into the herd. Any mix of Holstein, Friesian, Jersey, Norweigan Red, Swiss Brown, Mount Beliarde would probably be the most common in Ireland for dairy cross

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

Thanks so much! Would you mind telling me why the Hx J crossbreed is frowned upon? I have not the faintest idea about cattle.

It was said in jest ;) Nothing wrong with them, horses for courses. Crossbreeding has become popular recently as farmers are looking for cows to suit their low input system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Is it frowned upon??

first i've heard of it - although personally i would use a third breed in that cross personally

H x Fr x J is often seen as the ideal for a grass based system

• Advertisement

It was said in jest ;) Nothing wrong with them, horses for courses. Crossbreeding has become popular recently as farmers are looking for cows to suit their low input system

Ah okay. Thanks.

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Is it frowned upon??

first i've heard of it - although personally i would use a third breed in that cross personally

H x Fr x J is often seen as the ideal for a grass based system

T'was just in response to JG's joke. And thank you for your response. Very helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Are Dexter cows any good for milk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

if you are looking to get a "house cow" I would get a jersey or british friesian.
    They are smaller and easier managed in a smallholding situation
    A holstien has too much milk for a household

Advertisement