Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAS WWP- Primary

• 24-06-2011 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey, I'm a NQT (Primary) and have been told I have a chance of getting a position in a school for 9 months starting next September under the Fas WWP. As I understand, the INTO have told schools not to co-operate with this programme. I rang the INTO and they advised that it wouldn't matter as I am not a member of the INTO yet so I could take the position and just not join the INTO. The Principal has told me I will get my Dip done if I take the position. Really confused because my priority is of course to get my Dip done but should I really take a job when the INTO are against the programme? Would be really grateful for any advice !!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It's hard for me, a permanent teacher, to tell you not to, but if you can avoid it at all, I really would.I presume you would be joining INTO in Sept anyhow and some principals might frown a little on someone who took a such a placement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 confused2

Yes I am planning on joining the INTO in Sept but with jobs so scarce I was unsure if I should take the fas placement or not, thanks for the reply!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

It's disgraceful that this job has been offered as a WPP - no INTO member is supposed to be co-operating with the scheme. If people do start working with it, it opens the floodgates for the Department to cut teacher numbers even more, because they'll have seen they can get away with teachers working for the dole basically. It's so badly thought out - what if you are offered a non WPP job during the year? Is the class you've been teaching then split between other teachers?

I'd be skeptical of the principal's statement that you'll get your dip done. People have been waiting til June to get their final dip visit in a lot of cases over the last few years. There's no guarantee that you'll get an inspector who'll specifically accommodate you and get all of your visits done by May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 confused2

I completely agree with you on the WPP, it's working for the dole which is so unfair when there would be other teachers in the school doing the same type of work as I would and getting paid for it.

The only reason I even thought about considering it is because the Principal said I would get my Dip done. I didn't realise that the final Dip visit could be that late, makes me doubt what the Principal told me now. Thank you for your help :)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Sorry it's not more positive! byhookorbycrook has phrased it really well in their first sentence - it's easy for me with a permanent job to tell you not to take part in the WPP scheme. I'm just teaching long enough at this stage to realise that there are a lot of people out there who will take complete advantage of NQTs. If they're willing to take advantage to the extent of using people through the WPP, I'd say they're not reluctant to take advantage in other ways too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

When I came out of college in the 80s we queued for even a day of subbing outside the INTO office from 6 a.m.
    (Pre mobile and text-a-sub days!!)

One of my friends worked for basically Fás money for a year,with the understandng that she would get the job once the school was officially sanctioned. At the end of the year(no dip, because school wasn't sanctioned,)she was basically told thanks and off you go and the job went to the wife of one of the board members

I would be very dubious about any principal who was offering something the INTO is against, seems to me it's taking advantage of someone in a tight spot..

Plus ca change...

Advertisement