Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Motherboard question] got my hands on a XFX ATI Radeon 6990 HD

Options
  • 24-06-2011 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

What would the difference be if I put it into a cheapo board like this instead of a pricey one like this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

To start, the expensive one you listed is for HTPC normally (Or a very small PC) It's pricey because it's small.
    The cheap board you have there is ok, not great. It doesn't have USB3.0, Which is started to come on most boards, but you should be fine without it. It also only supports a single GPU, so you won't be able to add another 6990 if you ever plan on doing so.
    AM3+ I Believe is being released now, not many places have them, so you won't be able to upgrade your CPU when AMD Move onto the new socket.
    You should be fine with the cheap motherboard for now I think. Unless your looking at a really small case, stay away from the tiny motherboards.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭t1mm

You might want to look at a board with more than two ram slots - I would imagine you'd want to fill the computer up with RAM to benefit from the GPU's full potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭docetes

Thanks for the quick reply. Where does it talk about the GPU support?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The more expensive one is very small in comparison and it already has a processor in it.
    How much money are you willing to spend? Do you need everything apart from the GPU - Case, PSU, Windows, Keyboard, Speakers?

Advertisement