Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orientation Guides

Options
  • 24-06-2011 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

Anybody else apply for this? Just wondering if you heard back for it? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭tazbars

Hey I did. Got a call off Denis Murphy last thursday interview tommoro!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Interview??? :confused:

I was a guide for 2 years and never went through an interview process....load of nonsense imo....

Let us know what was asked!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Mossin wrote: »

I was a guide for 2 years and never went through an interview process....load of nonsense imo....

Love the fact you're on the other side of the world and still wanna know :P

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Thanks for letting me know. Say i may as well forget about it now. Bit strange that you have to go in for an interview, really stretching it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Catch15

Skyrim wrote: »
    Thanks for letting me know. Say i may as well forget about it now. Bit strange that you have to go in for an interview, really stretching it out.

I'd say the interview was for people that hadn't been guides before or something to that effect. In years gone by, people who would be perfectly good guides didn't get the job while some that got hired were the type to sneak home and sleep for the day (not me, but I can name two!). At least this way those who get glowing references can be met in person and those in charge can decide whether or not to hire them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Sounds like a waste of time and creating jobs for the boys imo.... Total waste of time and money.

just thought you'd like to know what went on in the 'interview' basically 20 of us were put in a room and introduced to one another and then the leader of guides talked us thru pay,dates and duties. More of a meet and greet really

tazbars wrote: »
    just thought you'd like to know what went on in the 'interview' basically 20 of us were put in a room and introduced to one another and then the leader of guides talked us thru pay,dates and duties. More of a meet and greet really

Cool, sounds straightforward pretty much. Hopefully might get an email about it next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

DJCR wrote: »
    Sounds like a waste of time and creating jobs for the boys imo.... Total waste of time and money.

How do you make that out?

yeh bit of a random comment...plus im a girl. My student guide experience was fantastic, they showed me around and got me talking to other people. They are you first point of contact with the college. Otherwise the whole first few weeks of college would be very daunting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ned14

Just FYI.... Got a call from Dennis today to say I've got a job as a guide so don't give up on hearing from them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭TwilightFan88

from whom i have seen getting one of these positions - very much a 'click' just like students union as always!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

from whom i have seen getting one of these positions - very much a 'click' just like students union as always!

Oh lord, not this again :confused:

such a false assumption, im no way involved in the students union or any relative clubs/socs - guides are picked at random

Ah its just luck of the draw if you're selected.

Just to put any such crap to bed, neither myself nor Tara, nor Paddy were available to interview. We were asked and the lads may have popped the head in to see how it was going, but if you think that being in the "click":rolleyes: gets you somewhere why not come and see for yourself.

Only cos I know that being an Access Student Ambassador got you put ahead of the line means that its not as random as the SU would like to suggest, hence the meaninglessness of the so called interview that has taken place imo.

There are skills required, but if the SU wants to hire the perfect guides, then the system is flawed, cos people lie like Fcuk to get what they want, and then get drunk for 5 days when they should be offering greater assistance to 1st years....you all know its true, and I've been a part of that too, so I'm no saint, but dont paint the picture of the SU selecting at random and that they dont look after their own.....of course people who have no affiliation with the SU get offered positions, if they didnt, there wouldnt be enough guides!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

ninty9er wrote: »
    How do you make that out?

Student ambasadors, students in connect class reps and people involved in clubs and socs are the type of students that are selected.

Not because they are in the "click" but because they are the ones who genuinely have an interest and are naturally disposed to working with people.

So why interview people "you" (royal you) know are suitable for the job. Save the money and just interview people your not sure about.

Any new cool stuff planned for orientation this year? :D I like hot dogs!!

Only cos I know that being an Access Student Ambassador got you put ahead of the line means that its not as random as the SU would like to suggest, hence the meaninglessness of the so called interview that has taken place imo.

There are skills required, but if the SU wants to hire the perfect guides, then the system is flawed, cos people lie like Fcuk to get what they want, and then get drunk for 5 days when they should be offering greater assistance to 1st years....you all know its true, and I've been a part of that too, so I'm no saint, but dont paint the picture of the SU selecting at random and that they dont look after their own.....of course people who have no affiliation with the SU get offered positions, if they didnt, there wouldnt be enough guides!

The SU doesn't hire the guides. It never did.

The SU has no say whatsoever in it? Or is it just coincidence that alot of people affiliated with the SU are in charge or get the job...:confused:

• Advertisement

The SU has no say whatsoever in it? Or is it just coincidence that alot of people affiliated with the SU are in charge or get the job...:confused:
    What happens is we're one of a number of groups asked if there's any reason not to give someone a job. If they've never come up on our radar we won't know so won't comment.

Before I was elected I was asked to do this in my capacity as a senior guide from the previous year for repeat applicants, so it generally has nothing to do with the SU, we could do with having the people for our own stuff that week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

When it comes to hiring, I'm fairly sure that's Student Affairs rather than SU though I'm sure there's plenty of people involved in the SU who end up as guides - it's a no brainer really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 OfftheWagon

Like any other job it boils down to a few things such as skill set, experience and personality. Yes there are always a number of people hired with affiliations to the SU but also you’ll note a number of people hired that are involved in the football, soccer, hurling, rugby..etc clubs also a lot of people from some of the various charity groups and organisations that operate in and around UL and Ireland. What is the common denominator here ?? People that are used to working in teams, proactively trying to achieve something together, positive and confident communicators that can respect their audience as individuals. Experience like when applying for any other job is key, who would you trust more someone who has never worked before and someone who donates a few hrs a week working with disadvantaged kids in a deprived area of Limerick city. Conscientious people that give a flying **** will always succeed – If people are unhappy they didn’t get a job this year, bare in mind 100s applied, pick yourself up and make yourself more attractive to employers.. focus on the big picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

It seems prudent to interview people that they aren't familiar with. They can't have someone making a mockery of orientation, it'd be a poor start for first years.

And it's "clique", not "click".

Advertisement