Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One way flight to the usa,Any problems??

Options
  • 24-06-2011 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

So im travelling to New york on sunday and im wondering will i have any problems with customs when i get there.My plan is to spend the guts of 90 days in the us and then onto Canada where i have a visa got for a year.The problem is i only have a one way flight to new york and im worried the customs might refuse me entry.Anyone know should i be ok??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If you're entering using the ESTA program, then one of the requirements is that you have proof of onward/return travel (flight booking etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

<sigh> same folk different task

Customs might give you some hassle if you're smuggling stuff but unless immigration officials have reason to question you beyond the normal questioning they won't even look for your onward booking and they won't know if you have one or not. Of course if they do question you that's probably the first thing they'll look for, although I'd imagine if you have all of your Canadian visa paperwork in order they will probably be sufficiently convinced that you will be leaving the country.

I have never done the online ESTA thing so I don't know anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

If you have a flight or bus ticket or something booked to Canada, and proof of this, you will be fine. But if not, yes you will have difficulty, they may not even let you check in for the flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

This was a few years ago but one time I went to the States and booked my flights as two singles (outward with Go Hop and inbound with Ebookers or vice versa) so when I went to check in the guy at the desk wouldn't let me go ahead until I fished proof of the return flight out of my bag (which of course was hidden at the bottom of my suitcase). And this was before I even got to immigration!

I flown to the US on several occasions with a one way ticket and I have never experienced any difference between that and flying with a return ticket. I still believe that his Canadian visa stuff will probably be enough, but it can't hurt to have proof of travel to Canada. Book a megabus from NY to Toronto, even if you never use it it will prob only cost a few dollars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

spideog7 wrote: »
    I flown to the US on several occasions with a one way ticket and I have never experienced any difference between that and flying with a return ticket. I still believe that his Canadian visa stuff will probably be enough, but it can't hurt to have proof of travel to Canada. Book a megabus from NY to Toronto, even if you never use it it will prob only cost a few dollars.

You are on a visa though if I recall correctly? It is a requirement of using the visa wavier program that you have proof of onward travel. You can always change your plans, if I was the OP I would buy the cheapest flight/train ticket to Canada I could find.

You are on a visa though if I recall correctly? It is a requirement of using the visa wavier program that you have proof of onward travel. You can always change your plans, if I was the OP I would buy the cheapest flight/train ticket to Canada I could find.

Correct yes. But anytime that I've flown on the VWP I've had a return flight but I've never been asked to provide proof of it, I mean if you drive across the border you won't have proof of your return. Bus ticket is still the best bet though, better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Correct yes. But anytime that I've flown on the VWP I've had a return flight but I've never been asked to provide proof of it.
    They may have already had that info from the airline.
    I mean if you drive across the border you won't have proof of your return.
    The rules are different for land borders - you don't even need ESTA

They may have already had that info from the airline.

The rules are different for land borders - you don't even need ESTA

Hmm yea I think that's probably what it was, those guys that interview you at check-in would have that info, I guess they would forward it on to the actual immigration if you only had a one way flight.

Did not know that you didn't need ESTA for land borders though.

Advertisement