Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you paint rusty gates?

• 24-06-2011 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

I've sanded down my front gates as best i can with a wire sanding bit attached to my drill.

All the loose bits of rust are gone but it would take 20x more work to remove the fine rust patches on the gate. So i don't want to go down that route.

What i wanted to know is is there some kind of special paint for painting on rusty iron gates, or is there a special primer or anything like that i should use and then paint over it with regular paint?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

2wsxcde3 wrote: »
    I've sanded down my front gates as best i can with a wire sanding bit attached to my drill.

All the loose bits of rust are gone but it would take 20x more work to remove the fine rust patches on the gate. So i don't want to go down that route.

What i wanted to know is is there some kind of special paint for painting on rusty iron gates, or is there a special primer or anything like that i should use and then paint over it with regular paint?

Thanks.

Hammerite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭brian_t

I bought a sand blasting attachment for my Bosch power-washer some years ago and I find it very quick and effective for removing rust from any item especially hard to reach places

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Or TriFlow metal care paint.

Can be painted directly onto rust.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭tipper1

I used hammerite years ago and didn't find it good at all, rust came through in no time.
    Try using a Lowe rust primer over the rust and can finish it of with Triflow or Lowe metal paint.
    I used the Lowe stuff and found it great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Never tried it but Owatrol Oil is another option.
    Available in Woodies.

http://www.igoe.ie/rusty-rusted-rustremover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The tiniest bits of brown rust will continue to corrode underneath any paint you put on top, hammerite or not.

The best practice is to first paint all the rust patches with a phosphoric acid containing rust converter to convert the to a stable compound that is not still slowly corroding away.

After that, top coat with hammerite.

http://books.google.ie/books?id=OHsKYj8T9z8C&pg=PA158&lpg=PA158&dq=rust+converter+fe3&source=bl&ots=iZyHZdWQHW&sig=ee4oskMaf7ZaTwe_JSogq2f30o8&hl=en&ei=ufoETs_-C8aBhQeB26XMDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CDgQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=rust%20converter%20fe3&f=false

Unless you take the gates down and put them somewhere dry, while working on them, I think you you will be chasing your tail in this weather.

Advertisement