Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCU - Who wants to go there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Biff Tannen

James G wrote: »
    James, 17. I live about 15 minutes away from DCU. ;)

Hoping to do Computer Applications.

Theres so many under aged people moving into college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

What's the on campus accomodation like, do you know?

Well I lived at home, but I been to house parties in Larkfield and they are quite basic and quite small, tiny kitchen. But do move there though, you'll make so many new friends. I wished I live on campus!
    szybki wrote: »
    DO you have any idea did peple form general science had many troubles getting in for genetics in second year ???
    was there many places available ?

Well Genetics and cell biology and Biotechnology are the two most popular courses coming from common entry and there's very limited places. Apparantly nobody from common entry was allowed in GCB because it was full. This thread has more info on that here

Anymore questions shoot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭szybki

heh :P So now I have a problem ...... especialy when the CAO change of mind is totaly closed !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

What would be the best place to live for on campus accommodation for a first year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

Mark, 18. Hope to do the same as this bloke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Fergus, 17, going on 6th year! Thinking of going to DCU too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

UrbanSea wrote: »
    What would be the best place to live for on campus accommodation for a first year?

I've only seen larkfield, I think grand for first years. Great place to meet new people.

Thanks iron. I assume you can apply after the offers come out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭szybki

Thanks iron. I assume you can apply after the offers come out?

Yep .... thats the qood question. Maybe we should apply now .... to have quaranteed place in student accomodation .... actualy whats the cost of it in DCU ? I know that in UCD, it is quit expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭vDarr

szybki wrote: »
    Yep .... thats the qood question. Maybe we should apply now .... to have quaranteed place in student accomodation .... actualy whats the cost of it in DCU ? I know that in UCD, it is quit expensive

I applied last week and I'm pretty sure I was late applying :confused: If I was you I'd apply ASAP!

• Advertisement

I dunno. Sure you don't know for sure if you're gutting it or not. I got corrib village in galway last year after I accepted a course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Ramsay

DCU is my eight choice as Aviation Management, Im praying to god it isnt the course im offered!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

I like your style! :cool:
    vDarr wrote: »
    Darren, 18, from Mayo, hopefully I'll be doing Computer Applications next year :eek: can't wait xD

Any ideas on where you'll all be staying next year? :confused: trying to sort mine out now... Larkfield seems like the typical first year accomidation but Hampstead seems much more appealing :cool: but I'd hate to get stuck with four fourth years :P

Older women... ;)
    marko93 wrote: »
    Mark, 18. Hope to do the same as this bloke.

And me....

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Aileen123

I'm hoping to do Communications in DCU dunno will I get the points though!
    Have people booked their accommodation? On campus doesn't appeal to me at all so I'm stuck between Shanowen and the gateway!

Can I just clarify something...when they say on campus,is it literally in the grounds of the college or does it mean beside or across from it,just that it's run by the college

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Nagikami

Can I just clarify something...when they say on campus,is it literally in the grounds of the college or does it mean beside or across from it,just that it's run by the college

The on-campus accomodation is actually in the college grounds They're pretty nice too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

I'm Rebecca, I'm 19, I failed common entry science MISERABLY so I am now hoping to re-apply into Law and Society :)

To whoever was asking, you cannot get into Genetics and Cell Biology through Common Entry. Friend of mine had the points for it, but put down common entry, really wanted GCB and now she wont get it :(

If anyone has any questions on common entry or any other other science course (all the first year courses are exactly the same), fire away :)

Nagikami wrote: »
    The on-campus accomodation is actually in the college grounds They're pretty nice too

Thanks Nagi.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Sm4shbox

DCU is my number one choice :D

The campus and atmosphere seems to be epic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Sm4shbox wrote: »
    DCU is my number one choice :D

The campus and atmosphere seems to be epic!

I heard the campus accommodation has key cards... That swayed my choice! :D :P

• Advertisement

I heard the campus accommodation has key cards... That swayed my choice! :D :P
    They do But it's annoying if you're forgetful (like me) and you keep leaving it inside your room Luckily the shared kitchen means your roommate can let you back into your room

They do But it's annoying if you're forgetful (like me) and you keep leaving it inside your room Luckily the shared kitchen means your roommate can let you back into your room

So the same card works for all the doors in the apartment?

So the same card works for all the doors in the apartment?

No The kitchen has physical locks that you can choose whether or not to lock from your bedroom If you leave it unlocked, your roomie can go into your room whenever they please but it also means they can let you back into yours

Each card opens the main door, then there's pairs that open the door to each set of two rooms (your's and your roomate's rooms) Then only your keycard and the master keycard can open your own room

Does that answer your question?

No The kitchen has physical locks that you can choose whether or not to lock from your bedroom If you leave it unlocked, your roomie can go into your room whenever they please but it also means they can let you back into yours

Each card opens the main door, then there's pairs that open the door to each set of two rooms (your's and your roomate's rooms) Then only your keycard and the master keycard can open your own room

Does that answer your question?

So the bedrooms connect to the kitchen? Sorry but I can be really slow at times! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

DCU is my first choice out of the 10.. But I don't wanna go there..! :P

Forgot to introduce myself... But I don't need an introduction..! :P

Why is it your first choice if you don't want to go there? (unless you can't get the points for somewhere you actually want to go)

AdamD wrote: »
    Why is it your first choice if you don't want to go there? (unless you can't get the points for somewhere you actually want to go)

Well I changed it to my 2nd choice on Friday but it was between UCD and DCU for actuarial finance. I want DCU over UCD though.

I have an offer for, and really want to go to, Scotland so that's my ultimate first choice aside from the CAO!

So the bedrooms connect to the kitchen? Sorry but I can be really slow at times! :o

Yep It's kinda like
    / \
    \L K L/
    | |
    | |
    | R | B | R |
    | |----L-| |
    |___ D_____D___|
    D

K= Kitchen
    B=Bathroom
    R= Rooms
    D=Keycard doors
    L=Doors that you can lock from one side

Yep It's kinda like
    / \
    \L K L/
    | |
    | |
    | R | B | R |
    | |----L-| |
    |___ D_____D___|
    D

K= Kitchen
    B=Bathroom
    R= Rooms
    D=Keycard doors
    L=Doors that you can lock from one side

Thanks, so your roomate can go through the bathroom to get your key?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I just did first year there, avoid larkfield, decent craic but its very restrictive and expensive

• Advertisement

Wolfe where'd you recommend

Advertisement