Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Innovation in European Business Masters

• 24-06-2011 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi, just wondering has anyone done this masters? As far as I know this September is only the 2nd year of it so looking for some feedback! I did a commerce international degree so I think it could suit me! Would appreciate any information I could get. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 laney22

yep, I'm in it. any specific questions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Hiya Laney22, would like some info on this course too. Might consider it next year or the BIS Masters, just wondering how do the two compare? What are the modules like? What type of assignments are involved in terms of topic areas? How is the dissertation/main project going for you? What's the timetable like? What do you think of the course overall? Is it worth doing it? What are the job prospects like? I come from an IT and business background similar to BIS and computing technology background too. Sometimes I think that the BIS Masters might be more relevant as I still like to stick with an IT career path as well as maybe having a bit of business too rather than all computers even though IT I think is where I will end up in, in terms of my job search, but regarding my degree think BIS be more suited than a multimedia or specific computer masters as I can always get into technical support and keep reading books on IT and get those professional IT Certs so no biggy. Any info on the course I be very grateful? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

was considering this as well so any info would be a help

I can't really help you regarding how it compares to the BIS masters, I have no idea what's involved in that one.
    Info on the different modules is available on the course info section on UCC courses so I won't spend too much time discussing those.
    While in Cork the focus was more on technology. Assignments were reports, presentations, business plan... we didn't have any exams all marks going for assignments. There were a lot of assignments but not too bad. Have to maintain a learning journal for the module Leading Edge Seminar - in that we visited a lot of companies which was very interesting. This module carries over in to Paris and so does maintaining the learning journal.
    Paris was much easier going we found - strict about attendance and timekeeping but the modules were a lot simpler. focus on management and marketing. Main problem in Paris was trying to get internships. Workload was alright, nothing too heavy and all very doable - nothing too challenging. Assignments were presentations and reports. Open book exams at the end of the term. Very difficult to get internships - need to look early if you're going to do this course and decide early where you want to work - different rules in different countries. A lot of us had to find our own so don't depend on someone else finding a placement for you.
    Internship - 6 months working. Had to complete 8000 word report on the placement.
    Currently in Utrecht - workload is very heavy, a lot of assignments to be done, all due at the same time. Assignments are academic reports. first time we've had more individual assignments than group assignments. We're having a Project week where we divide into groups and work on real life problems in companies instead of visiting companies. Focus is more on social and services innovation. Difficult trying to balance coursework with thesis.

In Cork and Paris we generally had about 8-10 hours of classes a week. Timetable in Paris changed on a weekly basis though so can't be definite.
    Utrecht laid out the timetable at the start of the term but its not the same every week - usually about 15hours a week though I'd say.

Main problems we've had - very little direction over the summer with the thesis and time's running out. On the plus side it has to be roughly 15000 words as we undertook the internship. Apart from in Utrecht, we had no help at all finding accomodation. We didn't get a lot of help finding internships.

On a positive note - we are all enjoying the course, love that we get to travel and experience living abroad as part of our course. We do all genuinely feel that doing this course will be a huge help to us when we look for jobs.

We're the first group in it though and obviously there's been some issues so they will probably be making changes and improvements over the next while, so this is my experience of it, if you do the course you could have a totally different experience!

Forgot to say, open book exams in December after thesis has to be submitted. Main amount of marks goes on assignments. Utrecht is quite possibly stricter than Paris was on attendance and timekeeping.

• Advertisement
Advertisement