Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An early wedding present...

• 24-06-2011 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭

So it turns out the PC Engine I bought the other day, while brilliant, had a couple of dud cards in it. So I sent it back for a refund...

...and bought this instead. :)

Click!

From a seller that does this to his stock!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Nice item but that's some price and the postage! :eek:
    You do have it bad for PCE gear. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

That's my train of thought. Most of the cost is covered by the refund.

Sure the postage is huge but in all honesty the seller has a really good Rep and if you factor in the cost of all the mods on it (by that I mean getting someone to do it for you professionally) the final cost is a bargain I think.

Especially as I got $30 off it too. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I thought my virtual boy was extravagant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Thats because you forgot to do the ;):D after it..

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I think in all honesty that award has to go to o1s1n this month and his €6874 spine card. :D

Bargain and Superpurchase of the month has to go to Geese Howard for the 68k. Lovely purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Pyongyang wrote: »
    I think in all honesty that award has to go to o1s1n this month and his €6874 spine card. :D

Bargain and Superpurchase of the month has to go to Geese Howard for the 68k. Lovely purchase.

It's a beautiful spine card and totally worth it!!

That's some job he did to the PCE. RGB goodness. Want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Whats this about o1s1ns spine card? I've been away

He caught my spine card obsessive disorder. I'm willing to wager €1.47 that every time he handles that game it's with 110% care, it's probably put back in the plastic bag too (if it came in one). :D

o1s1n wrote: »
    That's some job he did to the PCE. RGB goodness. Want.

My point entirely. Factoring in all that work against what I would have paid after sale and it's a real bargain I think. :)

Ah right, I'm very ignorant when it comes to spine cards, never got into being worried about them and I dont want to.

Just one question for O1s1n, did you have to sell a kidney or are they both gone by this stage?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Radiant Silvergun arrived in the post out to my parents house. My mam said 'a spine card has come in the post'...I had a 20 minute freak out thinking I'd paid €115 for a piece of feckin paper :D
    He caught my spine card obsessive disorder. I'm willing to wager €1.47 that every time he handles that game it's with 110% care, it's probably put back in the plastic bag too (if it came in one). :D

SC-OCD. Soon to be a legitimate term!

Master of the Universe

My point entirely. Factoring in all that work against what I would have paid after sale and it's a real bargain I think. :)

I know nothing about the value of PCE hardware..but it was definitely worth it for the work alone. It looks brand new now!
    Just one question for O1s1n, did you have to sell a kidney or are they both gone by this stage?

Both kidneys are gone to Atavan. I'd say they'll last about a week.

Ah right, all cleared up now, I thought the completeness levels had just reached meltdown

Master of the Universe

This coming from Mr. Hanging Tag? :p

I know, but 115 for a piece of paper would really be pushing it

SC-OCD. Soon to be a legitimate term!

So did I win €1.47? I did didn't I? :D

I know nothing about the value of PCE hardware..but it was definitely worth it for the work alone. It looks brand new now!

Yup, exactly. Yer man sells loads of them apparently. Check out his track record on the Internet and on his eBay profile page. Loads of happy punters on the big forums like PCEngineFX, Assembler etc crediting his work and ATD. A loose Duo-R without a new lens, mods or a good clean will run you around $100-$200 plus shipping depending on condition and what comes with it. I'd have liked an Avenue 6 but that came only with the RX model. Other than that the R and RX are exactly the same machine inside and out. The original Duo is unreliable and has a history of overheating issues and dodgy lens stuff.

Let's take the lens in to account. A new one from .hk on eBay runs at around €25-€35 plus postage. Then you have to fit it, precisely, no fannying around. Not an easy job. Then an RGB mod, using Raven as an example, will set you back 60 of Her Majesty's finest British pounds plus postage to send it to/from the UK. Region mod is a good few quid on top of that too.

Add that all up and it starts to make sense (or at least that's what I'll be telling myself as I lie awake all night in a cold sweat). :)

Master of the Universe

So did I win €1.47? I did didn't I? :D

I haven't actually gotten my hands on it yet! :(

It's out in my folks in Bray. I don't trust having stuff delivered to this house as I'm at work all day. Down side is I've to make a trek from Clontarf to Bray once every couple of weeks to pick stuff up!

I haven't actually gotten my hands on it yet!

@o1s1n Before you take that trip out to Bre, read this and go invest in a pair.

Welcome to the SC-OCD club.

*ponders registering at that sealed game collectors forum*

edit: Interesting reading to bring you up to speed on PCE hardware values.

Master of the Universe

Don't get me started on that road..I'd be wearing a face mask too before you know it!

'Must not breathe on games! Might corrode edge connector!'

Cheers for that. Really interesting read. I can see why you jumped on that system.

• Advertisement

The perfect moment to bring this up:

http://smotri.com/video/view/?id=v1434987ba57

FFWD to 15mins 11secs for the gag. :D

What an episode

Possibly my favourite episode of The Simpsons that one.

Possibly where I got SC-OCD and SG-OCD from too. :o

Master of the Universe

I weep for the Simpsons. It was my favourite show of all time up until Phil Hartman died in 1998. Really went downhill after that. The last 10 years it's been an absolute joke. And not the good kind :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It got really boring when every episode start with a crazy premise that was an excuse to set up an even crazier premise 5 minutes into the show. Everytime :rolleyes:

Master of the Universe

That's pretty much it! And they wouldn't just stick to one crazy idea either..within 15 minutes you'd have about 3 or 4 different things going on at once. Absolutely no continuity.

Then there's all the celebrity appearances.

'Hi! I'm skateboarding champion Tony Hawk!'

**** off Tony Hawk.

The perfect moment to bring this up:

http://smotri.com/video/view/?id=v1434987ba57

FFWD to 15mins 11secs for the gag. :D

Actually, to add to the above, 6mins 40secs+ is my favourite scene the show ever came up with.

Especially poignant if you ever grew up watching The Wonder Years on Channel 4 on a Sunday evening. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

That's pretty much it! And they wouldn't just stick to one crazy idea either..within 15 minutes you'd have about 3 or 4 different things going on at once. Absolutely no continuity.

Then there's all the celebrity appearances.

'Hi! I'm skateboarding champion Tony Hawk!'

**** off Tony Hawk.

The Simpsons has been a far better show since its absolute depths in the mid-noughties. Recently, with say the like of 'Lisa saves the Whale' et al,
    it's been getting back to its roots as a comedy with a proper human heart
    to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The downfall of Simpsons correlates directly with the rise of Futurama.

It's not a theory you see around a lot, but when you look at it the early 00s saw the Simpsons become an absolute sham of a show (definitely agree with the crappy celebrity cameos - no longer interestingly weaved into the narrative) while Futurama became the comedy us geeks have always wanted.

I remember Matt Groening and others repeatedly claiming they'd finish the Simpsons when it was past its sell by date. It's rancid now: so rancid they've had to seal up the fridge they kept it in and drop it in a ****ing canyon.

• Advertisement

Two more Duo's for sale now. One of them is an RX with an Arcade Pro card and games. :)

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/doujindance/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562

Master of the Universe

Two more Duo's for sale now. One of them is an RX with an Arcade Pro card and games. :)

You, my good man, are an evil temptress!

retro-game-sweets-clip.jpg

Not wanting to tempt more than I should but so far the shopping experience with this guy has been impeccable.

For starters I got $30 off the list price. He's given me an EMS code already to track the shipment. He also sent me links to YouTube videos he made and an article on how to eject the discs properly and use the switch properly.

Good job I watched the video else I would have ejected discs using either of the two wrong ways of ejecting them!

He's been a really sound guy so far, search for his channel 'doujindance' on YouTube. He's the guy who made a feckin' SPDIF out for a Sega Saturn for God sakes! Nice soldering skills to boot.

One thing I didn't know, not only does he do the RGB mod but the SCART cable he provides with the console is hand-feckin-MADE.

Very happy! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Don't get me started on that road..I'd be wearing a face mask too before you know it!

'Must not breathe on games! Might corrode edge connector!'

Cheers for that. Really interesting read. I can see why you jumped on that system.

Will ya's feck off, Hazmat suits will be standard issue at beers if this keeps up :p

Just emailed in a quote for this:

http://www.Lab-Pros.com/mailpod.htm

Think I'll use it to store my collection. :)

• Advertisement

To add to my ever growing SC-OCD and SG-OCD I ordered 400 single jewel and 200 standard size DVD OPP cello wrapping sleeves tonight. :o

osb.jpg

Might be best to start ordering those suits after all for a future event...

Seems I'm not alone though (and Assembler has an entire sub forum dedicated to it!):

The RX has gone, who wants the R?!

In fairness that was an absolute bargain. I just ordered an Arcade Duo for my Duo-R and that was £19.99 from Genki (cheapest I could find online).

A boxed, hospital-grade clean, RGB and region-modded RX console plus Arcade Duo and 3 games.

That RX was an absolute bargain.

I want one now caus everyone seems to be getting them!

I want one now caus everyone seems to be getting them!

You know it makes sense! Can't wait to get mine now. Hope to see a few more PC Engine owners on these forums. I think a few of you have them no? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Relikk

Nice, thanks for the heads up. If he has a Duo-RX sometime next month I'll definitely get one off him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I think a few of you have them no? :confused:

Too few of us it seems. :(
    But your enthusiasm for them might change that. :pac:

I popped my Core Grafx on Adverts.ie if anyone is keen. With the Duo-R on the way I'm getting the kosh from the good woman so figured I'd be better off letting it go so as not to be divorced by the end of next month!

Drop me a PM if you're keen. :)

Relikk wrote: »
    Nice, thanks for the heads up. If he has a Duo-RX sometime next month I'll definitely get one off him.

He seems to list them quite regularly but they literally fly off the eBay listings within a few hours. Especially the RX machines.

The thing is, you're not really any better off with an RX over an R as they are exactly the same except the RX was originally sold with a 6 button controller.

The only real difference lies in the Hu Card model machines. The original 1987 white machine has NTSC RF as standard, meaning you'll never get it to work here, ever, without an RF > RGB or AV mod which is pricey.

The Core Grafx and Core Grafx II machines are exactly the same except one is orange and one is blue. The reason for the orange was to match the CD unit that was released later.

Let us know how you get on! :)

Forget pc engine,vectrex ftw..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Relikk

The thing is, you're not really any better off with an RX over an R as they are exactly the same except the RX was originally sold with a 6 button controller.

Aye. Gots to have that six button controller. :)

Relikk wrote: »
    Aye. Gots to have that six button controller. :)

Hmm, yes and no. If memory serves correct, not all that many games make proper full use of it. Hence I bought that delicious little XE-1 Pro HE yesterday rather than going for a 6 button stick.

For the premium you pay for an RX over an R just for a control pad I really don't think it's worth the extra. It's a rarer console though, even though aesthetically and under the hood it's 100% identical to a standard R.

WTF! :eek:

11:02 Posting/Collection OTARU Hokkaido 047-8799 - Jun 25
    15:52 En route SAPPORO Branch Hokkaido 060-8799 - Jun 25
    22:45 Arrival at outward office of exchange TOKYO INTERNATIONAL Branch Tokyo metropolis 138-8799 - Jun 26
    0:22 Dispatch from outward office of exchange TOKYO INTERNATIONAL Branch Tokyo metropolis 138-8799 - Jun 28
    9:50 Arrival at inward office of exchange PORTLAOISE IRELAND - Jun 29
    5:31 Processing at delivery Post Office Scheduled delivery date: BALBRI IRELAND

That's seriously bloody quick for EMS bog standard shipping from .jp I think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I've noticed stuff from Japan and Hong Kong has been arriving very fast the last month or so.

No complaints here :)

That means hopefully my XE-1 Pro HE will arrive early next week for supreme wonder soft goodness and great justice!

Advertisement