Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorcycle run on M9 - accident?

• 24-06-2011 6:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

There was a motorbike charity run from Kilkenny (or somewhere further north) to Waterford this evening which led to a bit of a delay on the M9, as some of the service vehicles held up the overtaking lane.

I don't begrudge the slowdown really, since safety has to come first, but I thought it was a bit crazy not to call it off on a day like today (torrential rain, so much so that all you could see of the motorway surface was the tracks made by the car in front).

There was an accident around Lukeswell, with something or other hitting the bridge over the old N9 and leaving a bit of a dent in it. Hopefully it wasn't one of the bikers...

Anyone know what happened?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Crazy allowing an event like this on the motorway.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 JackPerry

I was coming from Waterford and could see 4 cars stopped on the otherside of the motorway with one man indicating to traffic to slow down. Heavy rain at the time and it looked like one car was bashed up( bonnet buckled) I wouln't think it was too serious though. Some minutes later i "met" the motorcycle group coming from the KK direction. So unless one of the motorbike "outriders" was involved I think the accident was probably due to skidding and it looks like only cars were concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

What's wrong with having bikes on a road sure. Tis only a bit of rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

But don't all motorbikelists fall off and kill themselves every time it rains?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Na. Bone dry when I bust meself lol. Granted I didn't kill meself so I don't count in that one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

alinton wrote: »
    Crazy allowing an event like this on the motorway.

TBH I reckon it's better to have it on the motorway than on the old road, it's just that with the amount of rain today, it seemed crazy that the organisers didn't decide to postpone it.

In any event it doesn't surprise me that there was an incident involving someone or other today given the weather. Not blaming anyone, but just in general, people tear along that road during torrential rain in exactly the same way they would in the dry. Madness!

If anything, I was thankful to the bikers for slowing everyone down! :D

Good to hear that nobody appears to have been badly hurt.

Advertisement