Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Engineering or Enviromental Science

• 24-06-2011 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello,

Was just wondering if anyone has any advice on my studies.
    I've recently completed a level 7 ordinary degree in Civil Engineering and am unsure wheter to continue studying Civil Engineering and get a level 8 degree or change courses and get a level 8 degree in Enviromental Science.

The employment prospects for Civil Engineers is not looking to good in the current economic cliamate and it could be some years before this picks up again. I enjoyed waste water and biology of water modules in the Civil Engineering course, but was wondering if anyone knows which course would be most benifical in finding employment.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭210

Very limited opportunities for work in environmental science. Mostly these jobs were in public service bodies and the recruitment embargo has closed off the whole area for new entrants.
    Having said that if you are interested and enthusiastic about working in the area thats a big plus and opportunities can still open up.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Sikie

A lot of companies bundle Environment Health and Safety together so I would say you would have a good combination taking the environmental science and adding the dipolma in health and safety this combined with your engineering background is very saleable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 KierArms

Thanks a million for your replies, I am going to go with the Enviromental science and fingers crossed by the time I am finished vacancies will begin to open up again :).

• Registered Users Posts: 10 smurfet2

To the OP, DCU do a degree with both environmental science and H&S in one, see here:

http://www.dcu.ie/registry/module_contents.php?function=4&programme=ESH

I've just completed it. I found it good, but possibly not as much focus on the health and safety aspect as I would have liked

Advertisement