Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three Strikes!!!!!!!

Options
  • 24-06-2011 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

I received a warning earlier this year - found out the source ans stopped it - fair enough I thought. Then I get another one for a piece of music that wasnot downloaded on any device in my house.

So either you people made a mistake, someone is using my IP address illegally or someone downloaded this music on a mobile device usingmy wi-fi.

Either way if I get a third strike and your '7 day ban' I will be cancelling my account immediately and permanently - if you thnk you can dictate to me what I can or cannot do while online and accuse me of stealing music when I did not then please DO NOT think that I will continue to pay for your broadband when you withold it from me.

I would be very surprised if you do not lose a lot of customers over this - anyone who calmlysits back and accepts your 'punishment' would need their heads checked when their are cheaper and more powerful alternatives out there.

I have been an Eircom customer for 15 years (apart from one year or so with UTV) and rather than being treated as a loyal customer am being treated like a criminal. Only the hassle of changing iskeeping me with you but I willgladly take that hassle the day you sendme a third strike for something I do not do.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

There is no illegal downloading.

Eircom just fancy themselves as willful helpers of the music industry. Probably a mix of fkn pc nanny do-gooder attitude and scared sh1t of corporate lawsuits - which is fair enough since we seem to live in one of those countries where the size of your wallet dictates the level of 'justice' you can expect to get and the wallet of the music industry is big.

Sorry, I know this reply doesn't belong here but I spotted the post on the main page and couldn't help myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

Could be a case of another set of mistakes http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056303321

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ZOLTAN28

Not sure how I could prove they have made a mistake - but I know they have unless someone is using my IP without my knowledge - in which case why only one occurrence?

I take it they just ignore threads like this - nice of them tohave a 'Talk To' forum - I might try Twitter as well.

Judging by the reaction I am getting I am sure I am not alone in getting these letters whether correctly or incorrectly - I guess if enough of us hassle them about it they may have a change of heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

ZOLTAN28 wrote: »
    Not sure how I could prove they have made a mistake - but I know they have unless someone is using my IP without my knowledge - in which case why only one occurrence?

I take it they just ignore threads like this - nice of them tohave a 'Talk To' forum - I might try Twitter as well.

Judging by the reaction I am getting I am sure I am not alone in getting these letters whether correctly or incorrectly - I guess if enough of us hassle them about it they may have a change of heart.

Hi Zoltan28
    We certainly would not ignore any issue posted to this or any forum. Our hours on Boards.ie are 11:00 to 16:00 Mon to Fri, so afraid that you posted just after that on Friday and I just picked this up this morning.
    If you PM me your Tel no I will investigate this for you immediately and hope to be able to resolve.
    Tony

If enough people leave them they may have a change of heart.

No other ISP worldwide does the same snooping/filtering that eircom does. And its not even them, its some third party that does it. Jokers.

Do yourself a favor and move to a real ISP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

the bottom line is eircom shippes router with the MOST BASIC SECURITY FLAW, then because the they can be so easily hacked, bend over to the music industry and start sending out 3 strikes letters, lads if ye ship a product that can be easily hacked, there is no way of proving if you downloaded it or not, just that someone used your internet thats it, absolute disgrace, delighted i left eircom when they announced the 3 strikes policies, Smart are great, much faster broadband, and better service

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Indie.

I received a letter recently stating that i was downloading music and to delete it. I have downloaded a fairly large catalogue of music so just wondering why Eircom have just picked up on it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Thomas20

Is the three strikes for torrents only or warez and other downloading?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Jagle wrote: »
    the bottom line is eircom shippes router with the MOST BASIC SECURITY FLAW, then because the they can be so easily hacked, bend over to the music industry and start sending out 3 strikes letters, lads if ye ship a product that can be easily hacked, there is no way of proving if you downloaded it or not, just that someone used your internet thats it, absolute disgrace, delighted i left eircom when they announced the 3 strikes policies, Smart are great, much faster broadband, and better service

Eircom do not ship routers with wireless security issues any longer. You know how long it has been since they have? Years.

When the issue was discovered they made the affected customers aware, published the method to make your network more secure online and swapped out the really old 3347's which only had wep.

If a customer has not secured their wireless network at this stage then it is their own fault in both a technical and moral standing. Also, according to the eircom terms of service (and in any ISP internet terms of service you can find) that was signed when every customer commenced broadband service, the customer is liable for their own networks usage.

So in essence, even if they have a router that was affected by the wep issue it is their own fault for not securing it.

I received a warning earlier this year - found out the source ans stopped it - fair enough I thought. Then I get another one for a piece of music that wasnot downloaded on any device in my house.

So either you people made a mistake, someone is using my IP address illegally or someone downloaded this music on a mobile device usingmy wi-fi.

Either way if I get a third strike and your '7 day ban' I will be cancelling my account immediately and permanently - if you thnk you can dictate to me what I can or cannot do while online and accuse me of stealing music when I did not then please DO NOT think that I will continue to pay for your broadband when you withold it from me.

I would be very surprised if you do not lose a lot of customers over this - anyone who calmlysits back and accepts your 'punishment' would need their heads checked when their are cheaper and more powerful alternatives out there.

I have been an Eircom customer for 15 years (apart from one year or so with UTV) and rather than being treated as a loyal customer am being treated like a criminal. Only the hassle of changing iskeeping me with you but I willgladly take that hassle the day you sendme a third strike for something I do not do.

This was posted on June 24th - been dealing with private messages since - guess what response I have received 19 days after this? - i have received a response telling me I got a letter about the first strike and a person spoke to my wife about it - hmmm - thanks for that - excellent stuff - telling me what I know already happeneda nd ignoring my actual query which is about the second strike I recieved.

I now no longer care about whether they solve this or not I just wanted to publicise how bad the 'customer service' actually is.

Add the phantom 'second strike' I received (in fact the whole three strikes business is fairly disgusting) to the non reply I received to my email, the non-reply I have received here, a previous saga with their technical team when they basically refused to help me and the 95 quid they charged me for a wireless router they gave to new customers for nothing and I am finally ready to kiss this lot goodbye forever. Rant over. Goodbye Eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

This was posted on June 24th - been dealing with private messages since - guess what response I have received 19 days after this? - i have received a response telling me I got a letter about the first strike and a person spoke to my wife about it - hmmm - thanks for that - excellent stuff - telling me what I know already happeneda nd ignoring my actual query which is about the second strike I recieved.

I now no longer care about whether they solve this or not I just wanted to publicise how bad the 'customer service' actually is.

Add the phantom 'second strike' I received (in fact the whole three strikes business is fairly disgusting) to the non reply I received to my email, the non-reply I have received here, a previous saga with their technical team when they basically refused to help me and the 95 quid they charged me for a wireless router they gave to new customers for nothing and I am finally ready to kiss this lot goodbye forever. Rant over. Goodbye Eircom.
    Hi ZOLTAN28
    I had been led to believe that the call was regarding the second track and in no way intended to ignore the issue. Have chased this with appropriate section again and will advise you. Have answered you on PM also.
    Tony

It doesn't matter when they rang - or what they rang about - I did not download the second track and nor did anyone else in this house.

The can call all they like - it does not change this fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭preytec

Eircom do not ship routers with wireless security issues any longer. You know how long it has been since they have? Years.

thats BS, there's no such thing as a secured wireless network. even the speed cameras are open to hackers. what you mean is that EIRCON don't ship wireless routers that can be hacked by the eircom thinger site (low hanging fruit). not to mention the fact that a wireless laptop/pc has 10 times the radiation of a mobile phone, it maybe a lower frequency but not by much.

ps: get a new avatar as you give false hope to ppl but you still blindly lead them down a false path

pps: "years" doesn't even answer your own question

but apart from that, to the OP'er you have been posting messages not unlike your OP on the ESB's part of the forum too. i know you have been hit hard and trust me i'm in the same boat, however posting onto websites too make yourself feel better won't help.
    you need to adjust and if that means getting rid of your sky sub or your internet sub, or car, well so be it.
    these things don't really matter anyway. a few months ago i took some wood from a field (wasteland) and made it into a grow box, it's worth about 150 new but we are growing veg that's worth 100 a month in it now. it's a far cry from what i was making but and it's just one of our many boxes (plus it won't be that good in the winter) but it helps. we are now trying out a VAWT (Vertical axis wind turbine) to cut down on our dependence on the ESB too. i have nothing against ESB but we are trying to save money.
    if that works out we have a few other ideas to cut down the cost of living. i do believe that things will get worse for us in the EU, but we can make things better if we plan for these events. use your internet to make yourself stronger take advice wherever you can find it and make your own mind up which way is best for you. use your anger "as it's really a passion", and direct it to a goal. do this, and things will get better for you, maybe not for the country. but it will help. it will help you. there's no going back, but there is the future to look forward too.

preytec

Advertisement