Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind turbines being used to power motorway junction lighting

Options
  • 24-06-2011 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

Just noticed a planning notice up at J10 of the M8. South Tipp Co Co intend to erect what they term "small-scale wind turbines" to power the lighting at M8 junctions 9 and 10.

Anyone know anything more about this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Are the wind turbines a separate structure from the lights, or are they attached to each?

If they're attached to the actual lighting, Kilmacurragh Botanic Gardens has both a solar collector and a miniature wind turbine installed on each of their lights in the carpark. Haven't got a picture, but I might be going up there over the weekend, dependant on weather, so I'll snap a few pictures if I can. They seem to work, anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Interesting. I didn't see anything about the turbine specs. I suppose it would make sense to attach them to the light poles, if it were possible; but would planning permission be required in that eventuality?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I am typically very against wind turbines as they are awful and inefficient noisy blots on the landscape, but I do think putting turbines (and solar) on each of the lights at a motorway junction makes good sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭NITransport

but I do think putting turbines (and solar) on each of the lights at a motorway junction makes good sense.

I think it's good the Co Co are doing this, but to have a solar and wind receptical on each and every light on a junction would probably be a maintenance nightmare when you consider the amount of turbines required. Plus, where would the energy be stored?

I'd assume its going to be a small group of wind turbines such as these located at some Tesco's and business parks, at one site which will power both junctions lights.

Advertisement