Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got the PhD acceptance, but still not sure. If I sign am I bound into doing it?

Options
  • 24-06-2011 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

I got a PhD acceptance there today, it's great but I still have reservations. I am wondering if I go ahead with the acceptance am I stuck?

I'll give a little background about myself. I worked as an engineering in the building ind for 3 years, but when things started to go belly up I tried to get out and make a fresh start before the rush, but I timed it about a year wrong. I did an MSc in Bioeng and got top marks in my class but no companies want to know anything about me, or so it seems. Coming out of Uni I was fortunate enough to get a job but it's not in engineering and I've been there for over 2 years now. Looking at what was happening to me I decided that a PhD might be the only way for me to get back into what I want to do.

The reason I have misgivings about this PhD is that while it is a very interesting project, it's not a very renound university, it's in Glasgow (not a million miles away, but I know I would miss home), and if I had a job offer in an engineering firm I would take it today. I haven't stopped looking for a job and would really much prefer to work than to be doing a project. I think I would do really well at the project, and I can see I would probably enjoy it, but I am getting a little old now and I just want to get my career back on track (hear that? it's the worlds smallest violin playing just for me). I also have potential offers with other Universities that have fantastic projects as well.

The letter I received says "you must either firmly accept or decline this offer by completing and returning the attached slip within 14 days". I just want to know, if I send the slip back, is that tantamount to a contract or can I still keep job hunting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

The use of language in this case is interesting. You must 'firmly accept' or decline. I wonder what exactly does 'firmly accept' as opposed to just 'accept' mean? Seems a bit silly.

The only advice I could proffer is (and it is speculative) that however firmly you accept their offer if you decide not to pay fees at the requisite time their interest will quickly cool! I cannot imagine a college being in a position (or being bothered) to demand fees on the basis of acceptance of an offer, especially if you inform them at the earliest opportunity that you will not be pursuing the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭munkifisht

Yea, I find the wording a bit strange too. I should have mentioned the project (like most engineering based projects) is funded so it's not a question of paying fees. I think what I may do is just accept it, and if something else comes up I'll say that "for personal family reasons I can't at this time leave the country" if something else comes along. I'm sure that couldn't really be argued with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I think it's just them being rather aggressive with the wording moreso than the acceptance being deemed any firmer than it would be at any other university. Maybe they have experience of people accepting and then pulling out at the last minute so are trying to pre-empt it by trying to make sure through the tone of their writing that you are really sure you want to accept.

If you decided to pull out there's little if anything they can do to stop you, regardless of how firm your acceptance is at this stage. I wouldn't worry about some legal pursuit if you decline the offer, the jurisidictional issue of them being in the UK and you being here is reason enough for that not to fly, even if it were an option which I don't really think that it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

munkifisht wrote: »
    Looking at what was happening to me I decided that a PhD might be the only way for me to get back into what I want to do.
    Unless what you want to do is research, then a PhD is not the way to go.
    munkifisht wrote: »
    The reason I have misgivings about this PhD is that while it is a very interesting project, it's not a very renound university, it's in Glasgow (not a million miles away, but I know I would miss home), and if I had a job offer in an engineering firm I would take it today. I haven't stopped looking for a job and would really much prefer to work than to be doing a project.
    All of which says to me that a PhD is not for you. It sounds more like you’re looking for something to beef up your CV rather than to start a career in research – if that’s the case, then a PhD is a very expensive, time-consuming option, that may well leave you in a worse position career-wise (in terms of what you want to do) in 4 years time.

Advertisement