Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So slow internet connection

Options
  • 24-06-2011 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

I'm very disappointed with 7mb broadband advance. I set up router today and despite that eircom engineer said i live very close to exchange and my speed would be excellent (I also rang to eircom customer service and was advised my line can take up 16mb) in fact eircom deliver poor service..I did speed test today via speedtest.net and get 2-3mb (it's jumping from 0.5-3) !!! even my iphone internet 3g has 4mb..:(
    P.S by the way i used to have o2 mobile broadband before and it had 7mb!!!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

there will be no eircom staff around till monday.

what happens to the speed if you plug out everything in every socket in the house ( including the filter) and plug the modem right into the main socket with the eircom logo and nothing else ? Turn the modem off and turn it on after everything else is unplugged including the filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭BaguMka

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    there will be no eircom staff around till monday.

what happens to the speed if you plug out everything in every socket in the house ( including the filter) and plug the modem right into the main socket with the eircom logo and nothing else ? Turn the modem off and turn it on after everything else is unplugged including the filter.

I did this several times..the same crap :( the most terrible thing is that when i try to download smth or just watch online some video after 5 minutes router stop working (no internet connection)..all buttons are green on router but no ping (request time out.......)then i have to reset my router or restart PC to get internet connection... it's so annoying as a had before o2 mobile broadband and never had any issue with connection..Can anyone give me intelligible answer why ??? is it just issue with a router or eircom poor service!? as i said i live very close to exchange and my line can handle up 16mb..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

BaguMka wrote: »
    Can anyone give me intelligible answer why ???
    Crosstalk.
    is it just issue with a router or eircom poor service!? as i said i live very close to exchange and my line can handle up 16mb..
    Try a 12 mbit profile when they come back monday and tell us how that goes. A better router may handle crosstalk issues but you should try to stabilise the line first.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Crosstalk.

Try a 12 mbit profile when they come back monday and tell us how that goes. A better router may handle crosstalk issues but you should try to stabilise the line first.

Thanks for reply,
    Just wondering how my connection can be stabilized if it's dropping off every now and then. I suppose the problem with router though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Thanks for reply,
    Just wondering how my connection can be stabilized if it's dropping off every now and then. I suppose the problem with router though :(

Hi BaguMka
    if you PM me your tel. no I can have this investigated and should be able to help here.
    Tony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭acotone

Hi,

Could also be "over subscription", I have that problem here in Rhode , Offaly.
    Basically it means that Eircom put too many subscriptions on an Exchange point which results in much slower speeds than promised.
    Made a complaint about this but they pingponged me around long enough (3 months !) so I gave up , also because they were monopolist here they had an attitude that they could ignore you.
    Luckily UPC are entering the market here soon and then it will be "bye bye" to Eircom for me !!

regards,

acotone wrote: »
    Hi,

Could also be "over subscription", I have that problem here in Rhode , Offaly.
    Basically it means that Eircom put too many subscriptions on an Exchange point which results in much slower speeds than promised.
    Made a complaint about this but they pingponged me around long enough (3 months !) so I gave up , also because they were monopolist here they had an attitude that they could ignore you.
    Luckily UPC are entering the market here soon and then it will be "bye bye" to Eircom for me !!

regards,

Hi acotone
    My apologies if this was not addressed correctly, if you DM me your tel. no I can have this investigated and may be able to help with this issue??
    Tony

Thanks for reply,

Hi BaguMka
    if you PM me your tel. no I can have this investigated and should be able to help here.
    Tony

I've sent PM

I've sent PM

Thanks BaguMka
    should have update later today or tomorrow.
    Tony

Thanks BaguMka
    should have update later today or tomorrow.
    Tony

Tony i didn't get any updates from you..Is it a joke or what? :(

• Advertisement

Tony i didn't get any updates from you..Is it a joke or what? :(

Hi BaguMka
    My apologies I did not reply on this but I cannot find any PM from you on 27/06 or 28/06? so have no line details .
    Can you re-send this and I will respond as soon as I receive PM.
    Thanks
    Tony

Hi BaguMka
    My apologies I did not reply on this but I cannot find any PM from you on 27/06 or 28/06? so have no line details .
    Can you re-send this and I will respond as soon as I receive PM.
    Thanks
    Tony

PM sent

PM sent

Received and PM'd you.
    Tony

Advertisement