Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tunnel interchange discussion

Options
  • 24-06-2011 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

The National Roads Authority are inviting comments on the proposed new interchange
    north of the Jack Lynch, so I thought it might be fun to have a discussion here too.
    Their proposed options seemed needlessly complicated so I came up with my own.

Bear with me while I build the post - it could take a few minutes to pull it all
    together. I swear I got a five year old to do the drawings in paint :o

Righty - first an overview. The current problems with the tunnel interchange in order
    of severity are :

(1) A large volume of traffic travelling from the tunnel northbound to the east.

(2) A large volume of traffic travelling from the east into the tunnel southbound.

(3) A large volume of traffic travelling from the north (Dublin Road) to the tunnel
    southbound.

(4) Traffic traveling from the city (west) into the tunnel southbound.

Solve even (1) and (2) and you'd probably have a massive improvement, but even though
    it's not really mentioned, the fact that traffic on the main Cork-Dublin road passes
    through that interchange as well is a concern. And it's going to be a bigger concern -
    all signs are that the proposed dual-carriageway from Shannon to Rosslare via Cork,
    will pass north of the city and link up with the N25 via the Dublin road. Effectively,
    this means that in the future some of the Shannon to Rosslare traffic that currently
    uses the bridge over the interchange, will then have to go through the interchange
    itself.

Other concerns are of course space and budget. Between houses, commercial estates and
    the Ibis hotel, there's not a lot of room to play with. The development I'd propose
    would be built on mainly waste ground. Quite marshy waste ground, which we've never
    been particularly good at building on in this country, but there have been successful
    big construction projects on marshes in other countries so maybe we could learn and
    improve. I'm also aware that it wouldn't be cheap, but compared to the complexity of
    some of the proposals, I'd say mine would be a lot more cost effective.

I'll outline the four phases of what I'd do in four more posts. A quick summary is :

Phase 1 : Build a two-lane flyover east of the tunnel interchange to take traffic from
    the Dublin Road to Cork City.

Phase 2 : Build a two lane flyover north west of the tunnel interchange to take
    traffic from the city to the Dublin Road north/south. Also movie the northbound Dublin
    Road west to make room.

Phase 3 : Build a two lane flyover north of the tunnel interchange to take traffic
    northbound out of the tunnel to the east.

Phase 4 : Replace the roundabout by the tunnel management building with a t-junction.
    Build a one lane flyover here to take traffic from Little Island west to Cork City.

[edit]New overview pic might show what I mean better, though it the East Flyover is missing from this one : 164645.JPG

[/edit]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Phase 1 : East Flyover.

As in the picture - this flyover would start more or less where the turn off to Glanmire
    East is now, loop up over the dual carriageway and rejoin just west of the PJ O'Hea
    Opel dealership. Traffic travelling from the Dublin Road to Waterford would turn left
    at the same spot it does now and follow the existing slip road onto the N25. Traffic
    travelling from the Dublin Road to Cork would turn left, keep left and travel up over
    the flyover to join the N25 Cork east of the interchange rather than west.

I can imagine a lot of people thinking to themselves that it makes no sense to do this
    now and certainly no sense to do it first, but trust me - there's really no other way,
    and this road will be needed in the future.

It might also seem very counter-intuitive for traffic on the Dublin to Cork road to
    turn towards Waterford, but if it's well enough signposted it should be no problem.
    I'd also work on the junction later on so that as soon as you're past the bridge
    approaching the tunnel roundabout, the left turn splits off as soon as possible.

164585.bmp

The big problem with this phase, apart from the obvious ****ty ground to build on, is
    joining the N25 at that point. Basically you'd have the traffic heading from the
    flyover to Cork and from the east to the tunnel crossing each other in a relatively
    short space. I think it would be okay though - there is a good amount of room for
    traffic to merge in.

We could make that easier by moving the N25 towards Little Island and bringing the
    flyover down on the right of the N25 instead. This would increase costs and raise the
    question of how traffic from the Dublin Road would get to Little Island west (I propose
    to block off the ramp near the tunnel later)

I'm not 100% sure that this flyover needs to have two lanes. I'm not sure the traffic
    now or in the foreseeable future will need them, but it'd certainly be cheaper to build
    them not than add a second one later.

Phase 2 : North West Flyover.

The purpose of this flyover is to take traffic travelling from the city away from the
    existing interchange onto the Dublin Road north/south. Traffic going from the city
    through the tunnel merges with the Dublin Road north of the tunnel and goes through the
    interchange from there. Traffic going from the City to the Dublin road just merges
    with the dual carriageway without going through the interchange.

As in the picture, this would start more or less where the old road is and loop around
    to merge on the right of the southbound side of the Dublin Road. Again this is all
    waste ground, but the northbound side of the Dublin Road would have to be moved West to
    make room for the merge.

Ideally I'd like to merge far enough north that traffic from the city can still get to
    the Waterford turn off and hence to the off-ramp for Glanmire East, but I think it
    wouldn't be possible. I think anyone wanting to do that would be boned.

I also realise there'd be a lot going on in a short space of time with traffic from
    Dublin having to merge with traffic on their right, within a few hundred yards of
    traffic for Rosslare splitting off to the left, but I think it could be managed.

And if anyone's wondering - I'm not missing the obvious that I now have twice the
    traffic approaching the interchange from the north. I'd address this some bit by
    altering the timing on the lights (I'd now have no traffic coming from the west), but
    in reality I'd be aiming for phases 2 and 3 to be finished at more or less the same
    time.

164586.bmp

The obvious main problems are space and safety. I'd like to loop further north than
    I've indicated in the picture, but I'm not sure if that land is available. I'd also
    propose slowing down the Dublin traffic before it gets to that point. In reality, this
    happens already and when traffic is heavy you'd be crawling at the point anyway. I
    think with proper signage it could work.

Phase 3 : North Flyover.

As in the picture, this starts north of the current interchange, and using the existing
    dual carriageway exiting the roundabout, the flyover loops up over the southbound
    Dublin road to the east, over the flyover from phase one and merges with the N25
    eastbound more or less where the existing ramp from Glanmire east merges with the N25.

164587.bmp

Obvious problems with this one are space and the ground. There's not much room to
    begin the flyover before clashing with the North West flyover, and all the ground I
    propose building on is marshy.

Phase 4 :

At this point the tunnel roundabout will cease to be a roundabout - traffic will flow
    through it north-south only.

164588.bmp

From the tunnel : Traffic going to the city will just turn left onto the existing ramp.
    Traffic heading north for the Dublin Road will just continue straight through.
    Traffic heading east will turn right onto the flyover and join the N25. Traffic
    heading to Little Island West will have to use a ramp (purple) to loop back around and
    turn left before getting back to the tunnel.

To the tunnel : Traffic from the east will use the existing ramp and merge with traffic
    on their right entering the tunnel. Traffic from the north will just continue straight through. Traffic from the west will merge north of the current interchange on the
    right of the Dublin traffic.

The roundabout would be blocked off, as would the ramp to Little island West
    approaching the tunnel. The East ramps would be smoothed out to make it easier for
    traffic to merge. Traffic from Little Island West might get it's own flyover to take
    it over the dual carriageway to link with the ramp to the west, but if the budget
    doesn't allow, they'd be boned. The roundabout outside the management building would
    be replaced with a T-junction.

Traffic from the Dublin road going east just turns left onto the existing ramp and
    merges with the N25.

Traffic from the east going to the Dublin road.... is boned! Honestly (not that this
    isn't all pure fantasy anyway, but) I don't think the budget would cover it so I left
    it out, but I'd propose a 4th flyover, going from the end of the East Flyover,
    over/under the North Flyover, over the Dublin road to merge on it's left. Again, I
    think a single lane flyover would do. I think this is the least critical traffic flow
    so to cut costs I'd be tempted to ignore it and force the traffic to go to the around
    the Dunkettle roundabout and use the North West Flyover. For the sake of completeness,
    here it is :

164589.bmp

So what do ye think? Probably a complete waste of time to do all this but I enjoyed
    the mental exercise :)

Official proposals are here. Mine has ended up almost as complicated :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

You should run for election

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Seriously well thought out and put together posts - well done.

But I reckon all those plans will change Considerably!!
    IF they toll the tunnel, the numbers using it will change and the Lower Road will become the bottleneck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

164589.bmp

The whole need for an upgraded junction is to make it freeflow and get rid of the traffic lights and the roundabout. It looks like from your plans that the roundabout would remain and consequently some traffic lights would still be needed. Also you seem to building right on top of the train line which is another problem. The reason the NRA's plans are complicated is because making two existing intersecting motorways free flow is actually a difficult process.

^^^^^^?

I know it's long but did you read all the posts? The roundabout would remain but would be blocked off so it effectively only the roads either side going north/south would be left. There would have to be bridges over the train line, but I'd be hoping most of it would go over that old road or over waste ground.

I don't want to understate the complexity of the task involved, or the value of the professional expertise that went into designing the official options. This seems like a simpler solution to me compared to the complexity of their designs, but I have no idea if it would actually work.
    Daegerty wrote: »
    You should run for election

I'd raise taxes, brutalise criminals and rule you like a king!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Great posts. You shoild post them on this thread also: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055546082

• Advertisement

Maybe this picture shows what I mean about the roundabout better, though the flyover to the east to take traffic from the Dublin Road to the N25 westbound is missing to the east of the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

aren't some of those areas reserved for a future park and ride though?

I dunno - several of the offical proposals seem to use them. It seems like a daft place for a park and ride to me. Too far out to be really convienient. You might as well just park in Little Island and get the train..... .....or even the public bus. Some politcian/planner probably got a pat on his back for being 'green' for that idea though...

I didn't realise there was already a thread on the roads forum. A couple of the posters had good ideas on that thread. I updated mine over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

When I saw these plans the first thing that occurred to me was more car transport expenditure with no consideration for any sustainable travel:

No cycles paths, the Mahon footpath\cycle path is not so far and could be utilised to encourage journeys by bicycle. A cycle path along the Tivoli dial carraigeway could be popular
    No park and ride facilites or a car-share car park.
    NO exploitation of the little island railway to reduce traffic.

30 years after LUTS we're still building for the car without barely a thought for a sustainable approach

I'm not saying don't improve the traffic flow at the junction with a flyover but lets spare some money from the huge budget and think about what's the smart thing to do for the future

Sorry, for straying off-topic. I'll stop now.

When I saw these plans the first thing that occurred to me was more car transport expenditure with no consideration for any sustainable travel:

Cars FTW. Nothing like a good tear down the road in a decent car with a decent manual gearbox and a noisy petrol engine. Now I'd use E85 if I could but they stopped selling it. Hydrogen or methane in a combustion engine wouldn't be bad either

but until I can get those sustainable travel = boring travel.

having said that I wouldn't mind a cycle path in the jack lynch tunnel. its not really fair that things like horses and bikes aren't allowed in there

Cars FTW. Nothing like a good tear down the road in a decent car with a decent manual gearbox and a noisy petrol engine. Now I'd use E85 if I could but they stopped selling it. Hydrogen or methane in a combustion engine wouldn't be bad either
    but until I can get those sustainable travel = boring travel.

having said that I wouldn't mind a cycle path in the jack lynch tunnel. its not really fair that things like horses and bikes aren't allowed in there

I can understand the need for speed but why "noisy"? By any chance does your car have a bean can exhaust and an add-on turbo whistler thingee? Maybe you too mistake the pedestrians' looks of scorn for admiration.

Many days I see the JLynch tunnel resembling a car park. Nothing exciting about a commute Little Island.

When affordable electric cars are available just think - no more oil changes, or blown head gaskets or leaking radiators, or worn rings.

BTW
    - There is nothing environmentally friendly about E85 (or Maxol's E95) or methane fuel.
    - of course cycles,horses,pedestrians shouldn't be in the tunnel. It a question of road safety not fairness.

I can understand the need for speed but why "noisy"? By any chance does your car have a bean can exhaust and an add-on turbo whistler thingee? Maybe you too mistake the pedestrians' looks of scorn for admiration.

Many days I see the JLynch tunnel resembling a car park. Nothing exciting about a commute Little Island.

When affordable electric cars are available just think - no more oil changes, or blown head gaskets or leaking radiators, or worn rings.

BTW
    - There is nothing environmentally friendly about E85 (or Maxol's E95) or methane fuel.
    - of course cycles,horses,pedestrians shouldn't be in the tunnel. It a question of road safety not fairness.

Ah c'mon bro the noise is half the fun. No fart cannon or similar attached to my car only the stock exhaust no need to pretend its something special when I know tis just an ould hape.

Electric cars? I used to think they were great but they're just after discontinueing the one good electric car: the Tesla Roadster. And besides they're all prndlers so they wouldn't be much fun. Current lithium ion designs cost about the same as petrol in wear on the battery pack per mile.

E85 or E95 can be made in a number of different way, its improving every day and if algae production is improved it will be environmentally friendly. Besides maxol used to make the E85 from a worthless byproduct so no harm to the environment done except for the 15% petrol.

If there was a cycling path maybe with a small barrier in the tunnel it would be grand and safe

Ah c'mon bro the noise is half the fun.......

..... Electric cars? I used to think they were great but they're just after discontinueing the one good electric car: the Tesla Roadster. And besides they're all prndlers so they wouldn't be much fun. Current lithium ion designs cost about the same as petrol in wear on the battery pack per mile.

E85 or E95 can be made in a number of different way, its improving every day and if algae production is improved it will be environmentally friendly. Besides maxol used to make the E85 from a worthless byproduct so no harm to the environment done except for the 15% petrol.

And I've often thought playing golf in shopping centre would be fun. Very anti-social though.

Even assuming the ethanol were produced from food byproducts or algae and not a soya ranch in the Amazon, E85\ E95 can only be though of as more environmentally friendly in the same way that a kick on the shins could be considered more friendly than a head-butt.
    If there was a cycling path maybe with a small barrier in the tunnel it would be grand and safe
    Nah, still too close to speeding traffic and not much protection. Haven't you noticed the idiots blithely crossing the central solid white line in the tunnel.

And I've often thought playing golf in shopping centre would be fun. Very anti-social though.

Even assuming the ethanol were produced from food byproducts or algae and not a soya ranch in the Amazon, E85\ E95 can only be though of as more environmentally friendly in the same way that a kick on the shins could be considered more friendly than a head-butt.

Nah, still too close to speeding traffic and not much protection. Haven't you noticed the idiots blithely crossing the central solid white line in the tunnel.

:confused: Kicks on the shins & golf in shopping centre? things are starting to not make sense now

Ah feck it they could just drill another tunnel beside it for cyclists and horses. No doubt it would become a 'shooting galley', gallery or alley. Joe Duffy wouldn't agree with it either. Maybe we can have a cable car across the lee instead, though no doubt that will attract it's fair share of complainers too

Can't say I've noticed any idiots in the tunnel. Maybe they come out only at a certain time?

Ah feck it they could just drill another tunnel beside it for cyclists and horses.
    Now yer talkin'! Wide enough for two abreast each direction please.

• Advertisement

Apart from speed, I think there's no cyclists allowed in the tunnel 'cos of air quality issues. It's well ventilated but they still can't guarentee your safety. That said, I have seen (mad) cyclists use it.

....and I think I smell a troll or two......

Advertisement