Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy ejaculation

• 24-06-2011 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭

Strange one this but here goes.

We have an alsation/border collie cross and he is about 6 or 7 months old, he was adopted so we can't be sure.

For the last month or so he has been getting erections and is biting down hard on the base of his
    penis and it would die down quick enough.

More recently when he gets excited he starts to ejaculate with great force and today for the first time he ejaculated over and over and it went everywhere, I will spare you the gore :)

We had a vet check him out for the initial biting and he did not think it was anything he wouldn't grow out of.

Now it seems to be getting more unusual so I will bring him to a different vet but in the meantime has anyone heard or seen such a thing ??

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Is he neutered?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

No.

I'd just keep trying to discourage him from doing it and have him neutered in a few months when he's a little older (as is best to wait a little bit longer with larger dogs) You should find it easier to discourage him after neutering but it's a combination of the two that will break the habit.

Thanks, that is the plan but is ejaculation in this context not unusual ?

Unfortunately it's 15 years since I had a male puppy but yes he would have had a stage where he did something similar (which I very vaguely remember!).

• Advertisement

Ok thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Bar the usual about neutering etc. which he's at the perfect age for. This makes me curious...Whats unusual?
    Joe10000 wrote: »
    Now it seems to be getting more unusual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

as is best to wait a little bit longer with larger dogs

Just curious why is this AJ? :confused:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

piperh wrote: »

Neutering early in large breeds can cause joint problems down the line. When the flow of hormones is cut off, the dog will continue to grow at the same rate, but without the hormones, their joints will take longer to fuse. Dog neutered young tend to be leggier than their intact or later neutered brethren. In saying that though, i had my guy done at six months because we had an intact bitch in the house and didn't want any accidents, and I'm glad we did. He's still the same sweetheart, though he'll probably never figure out how to cock his leg now:D

anniehoo wrote: »
    Bar the usual about neutering etc. which he's at the perfect age for. This makes me curious...Whats unusual?

It's my fifth male puppy and have never seen this before so it's unusual to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Shanao wrote: »
    Neutering early in large breeds can cause joint problems down the line. When the flow of hormones is cut off, the dog will continue to grow at the same rate, but without the hormones, their joints will take longer to fuse. Dog neutered young tend to be leggier than their intact or later neutered brethren. In saying that though, i had my guy done at six months because we had an intact bitch in the house and didn't want any accidents, and I'm glad we did. He's still the same sweetheart, though he'll probably never figure out how to cock his leg now:D

Well you learn something new everyday :D Thanks Shanao. I had my big dopey fella done on the vets recommendation just before he was 6mnths old cus i have a little girl the same age so he did them together.

piperh wrote: »

There is a higher risk of bone cancer in dogs that are neutered before they are finished growing, with females the hormone associated cancers associated with not spaying before her first heat are much, much higher than the risk of bone cancer so weighing up the risks should be neutered younger I also think they recover and heal much more quickly when younger. Males are different in regards to hormone associated cancer risks and the op isn't as invasive so there is more benefit in waiting till the bones have finished growing. This is one train of thought with evidence that backs it up (and it makes sense to me, so I'm going with it.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Shanao wrote: »

I'm not sure this is true, I know a fair few number of people who've had male dogs neutered at 3/4 months ( one cane corso and one lab) and have no problems at all with legginess or joint problems. Could you possible link to the studies that show this, if you wouldn't mind? Thanks.

I should point out I'm not saying this is an absolute, just it goes against what their vets say.

I should point out I'm not saying this is an absolute, just it goes against what their vets say.

Most Vets want to promote neutering because so many people let their dogs engage in unplanned matings. They won't tell you unless you specifically ask about bone cancer/ growing disproportionately etc., for the same reason they don't tell you it may have an effect on the dogs coat. They don't want to put people off neutering at all in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Shhh

I'd just keep trying to discourage him from doing it and have him neutered in a few months when he's a little older (as is best to wait a little bit longer with larger dogs) You should find it easier to discourage him after neutering but it's a combination of the two that will break the habit.
    My jack Russell went thru a funny masturbating phase and ejaculated happily and regularly until we neutered him at 16 months..

Most Vets want to promote neutering because so many people let their dogs engage in unplanned matings. They won't tell you unless you specifically ask about bone cancer/ growing disproportionately etc., for the same reason they don't tell you it may have an effect on the dogs coat. They don't want to put people off neutering at all in any way.

Okay, assuming this is true- and I have no reason to doubt you– could you please point me to a study that says this. Cheers. ( the cane corso is now 2 and is a masterful looking creature with no health problems)

Folks no offence but you are all going off topic.

We are going to get him neutered in two months so that is not the issue.

I think the discussion has evolved and is still relevant as a resource to other folks, but there are other threads on the subject so I will try to find them and post links here rather than continuing it ;)

A 2 yr old dog is still little more than a pup, problems won't appear for most conditions until established adulthood.
    Links are included in this post, there are plenty more out there though if you feel the need to research it more.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72472211&postcount=6

Bump

• Advertisement
Advertisement