Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Video/Audio Connection on DVD Player

• 24-06-2011 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I recently purchased a Blu-Ray DVD Player - LG BD550.

Two different cables came with it - a yellow cable (video cable) and a red+white cable(s) (audio cable).

In the instruction booklet for connecting these wires it seems to give two options - Component Video Connection or Video/Audio (Left/Right) Connection.

Although looking at the diagram for the Component Connection again it looks like there may be 3 jacks for the video cable whereas I only have one jack on the cable

Which option should I be going with?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Surprising that a Blu-Ray player would come with the lowest possible quality video/audio connection !

The ideal connection would be a HDMI cable to your TV or your surround system if it can accept it. Failing that you could HDMI to the TV set then optical from the TV Optical Out (if present) to the surround amp. Short (1.5m) HDMI cables can be bought in Tescos for about a tenner. Don't fall for the 100 quid ones Curry or HN will try to sell you. No benefit unless your run is a long one.

Component could be used to but I don't think you could get higher than 720p resolution from it. The component cables can be bought from Harvey Normans or Currys but unless they're going to be >5m there's no need to spend a fortune on them. Maplin sell these which should be ok for short runs. You'll need some form of audio cable too. The red/white cable won't cut it here so you'll need an Optical cable to get full surround sound from the surround system. But could tell you more with the make/model of the units.

What make/model are the TV and surround system ?

Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

ZENER wrote: »
    Surprising that a Blu-Ray player would come with the lowest possible quality video/audio connection !

The ideal connection would be a HDMI cable to your TV or your surround system if it can accept it. Failing that you could HDMI to the TV set then optical from the TV Optical Out (if present) to the surround amp. Short (1.5m) HDMI cables can be bought in Tescos for about a tenner. Don't fall for the 100 quid ones Curry or HN will try to sell you. No benefit unless your run is a long one.

Component could be used to but I don't think you could get higher than 720p resolution from it. The component cables can be bought from Harvey Normans or Currys but unless they're going to be >5m there's no need to spend a fortune on them. Maplin sell these which should be ok for short runs. You'll need some form of audio cable too. The red/white cable won't cut it here so you'll need an Optical cable to get full surround sound from the surround system. But could tell you more with the make/model of the units.

What make/model are the TV and surround system ?

Ken

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your reply.

Before I reply to you, I better warn you that I know little or nothing when it comes to TV's/Computers etc.

I have a Sony Bravia EX 401 - which I got from Argos (during a special offer)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL40EX401U-40-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/tech-data/B003BVI4BW/ref=de_a_smtd

I don't have a surround sound system as far as I know.

I have a few HDMI cables though which I can use to hook up to the TV.

As I don't have surround sound do I need to use the audio & video cable that came with the DVD player or just use a HDMI cable.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

No question about it . . HDMI every time !! The cables that came supplied with the Blu-Ray player are the lowest possible quality connection you can get. Your player is capable of 1080p Hi-Def, why on Gods green earth would they give you something that will show their product in it's worst way ??

HDMI will give you the highest possible definition on your TV and better audio too. Even to an un-trained eye the difference will scream at you !!

Use the HDMI and enjoy :)

Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

ZENER wrote: »
    No question about it . . HDMI every time !! The cables that came supplied with the Blu-Ray player are the lowest possible quality connection you can get. Your player is capable of 1080p Hi-Def, why on Gods green earth would they give you something that will show their product in it's worst way ??

HDMI will give you the highest possible definition on your TV and better audio too. Even to an un-trained eye the difference will scream at you !!

Use the HDMI and enjoy :)

Ken

Thanks Zener will just the HDMI cable so.

A bit OT but when I am watching TV on the Sky Box, the volume may be say at 14 or something but when I put a DVD(normal not Blu-Ray) into the DVD Player last night to work it - I had to turn the volume way up to like 28 or something to get decent sound from it.

Any idea why this is so?

Advertisement