Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home CCTV

Options
  • 24-06-2011 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I wish to install a cctv system to monitor the front and rear of my house. Maybe another camera for the entrance from the road..
    Problem is, I dont have a clue what to buy, and limited knowledge of the technology.
    I would like to be able to view video remotely on my iphone or work PC.
    What system allows me to record the video.
    I have WiFi at home.
    When i am at home I would like to view camera footage on the tv from the sofa, is this connection possible.
    I would like discreet cameras, preferably white to match the fascia.
    I would like motion detection and night vision too.
    I would also consider putting a camera indoors for the main living space if it can be achieved within budget.
    Do i go for IP cameras, DVR and cameras or something else??

All advice welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Moved to Home Security Systems!

All that can be done . All the features you want are fairly standard.
    Do you have a budget in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 fergal28_01

I suppose I would be willing to spend 500 euro on it anyway, I presume its like most tech systems, you get what you pay for in terms of quality.
    How much would be required for a reliable system that will provide good quality video.
    Any equipment suggestions?
    Where can i view equipment to suit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Jnealon

try cctv direct, you might get a good package deal

Which package will suit my needs though.
    Can you be more specific for me please.

I was on a few sites but the kits and cameras listed go on forever!!

Should I go for kit with DVR recorder with cameras or a few individual IP cameras to suit.

I would like to be able to view video remotely on my iphone or work PC.
    What system allows me to record the video.
    I have WiFi at home.
    When i am at home I would like to view camera footage on the tv from the sofa, is this connection possible.
    I would like discreet cameras, preferably white to match the fascia.
    I would like motion detection and night vision too.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

DVR and IP Cameras are two completely different things?
    I'm interested in what you've got planned there too.. although I'd like them noticed and hope they'll be a deterrent.
    I can only guess DVR and IP Cameras record differently, remote storage?
    Remote storage is a must? Someone breaking in when you're not at home and stealing the DVR wouldn't be very helpful. :pac:

• Advertisement

Ok, more i research the more confused i get. So many options!
    I already have a home alarm which alerts me by sms when my alarm is triggered. I wish to be able to view the video when alerted and then act on whatever I may see.

I am sure that 2 outdoor dome cameras will work for me.
    They need to be wireless and have day/night function, which I believe is not a problem.

I will also need a reciever that i can store video on and connect to the tv for viewing when i am home.

As far as I can make out, if the reciver I install has wifi, I will be able to view the video remotely as well.
    I have a WiFi home network already in operation.

Is this correct?
    Is this achievable?

Can anyone recommend good quality makes/brands/models and sources where I can buy the camera kit to suit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Wireless cameras for the most part are not great. You will still need to run power to the camera.
    Your dvr will have a rj45 network adapter built in, you can connect this to your router etc for remote access.
    As I mentioned earlier cctv direct will have what you want. There is a review of this site on boards some where.
    Give them a call and tell them exactly what you want, most of their kit has demos on the site

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭jamesd

Something like this would suit you

http://www.cctvdirect.co.uk/products/Gold-Defender-2-Camera-Professional-CCTV-Kit.html

I have the 8 camera version and access it via tv/web/iphone and no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hunter8

hi Fergal28_01
    I am in exactly in the same position as you were back in June with almost identical requirements. The thread seems to have stopped. Did you proceed any further and get a solution. Currently there are a few offers going in Maplin but they are cable installation.
    I would like wireless for ease of installation but am worried about quality of signal and like you have other WiFi systems in my home.
    Please let me know how you progressed

hunter8 wrote: »
    hi Fergal28_01
    I am in exactly in the same position as you were back in June with almost identical requirements. The thread seems to have stopped. Did you proceed any further and get a solution. Currently there are a few offers going in Maplin but they are cable installation.
    I would like wireless for ease of installation but am worried about quality of signal and like you have other WiFi systems in my home.
    Please let me know how you progressed

Basically things haven't progressed, I am still going to get it done. Have been extremely busy on another front! Have you made any progress yourself in getting a CCTV system up and running? My requirements haven't changed. I would like wireless cameras for ease of fitting and record function plus the ability to remote view.. Also considering getting in a professional. Anyone know a recommended installer in midland counties?

• Advertisement
Advertisement