Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Septic Tank Annual Charges

Options
  • 24-06-2011 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭

Looks like we'll have to wait and see how much €€€'s but they are on the way

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

If I was the optimistic type, I might be hopeful about the fact that the IFA called the talks constructive. I might also be hoping that a FAIR system of any funds needed for the regulation being taken from fines levied against people blatantly disregarding regulations, and that people who follow the rules and have done what they were supposed to have will not have their pockets essentially picked by the government.
    But I'm far beyond optimism anymore with our glorious leaders, whatever party.
    I'm a realist who knows we're going to get screwed some more and there's feck all we can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭rayjdav

I was under the impression that no "works" or inspections could be done until all aspects of the scope of the directive were confirmed but talking to an IFA member, who was at a Midland IFA Branch meeting recently and he said there was anger at the meeting that a certain midlands council has already commenced inspections? Reported at the said meeting that they are readily and freely entering on private property to survey existing tanks. This can't be right surely until all is ironed out??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Dos29, Be the optimistic type....

think-positive.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

BryanF wrote: »
    Dos29, Be the optimistic type....

I don't think Terry Prince ever had to deal with the Irish political shambles, aka ragweed.
    Anyway, that's my take. My outlook won't change anytime soon I'd say. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Septic tank levy??? just another fancy term for another stealth tax, brings in the revenue to pay for the greed/corruption of developers/speculators/bankers/regulators/politicians.
    Time for a revolution here.!!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

What happens if we dont pay it? will we be taxed for using the back of the ditch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

The council can walk onto your property without even asking you. That was the case when I saw a council inspector prowling around my farmyard a few years back. For anyone still using the nearest ditch they will more than likely bring in a sh1t in the ditch charge :rolleyes: But they aren't really taxing us they will be only charging us :rolleyes: The sickening thing is that we have to pay them so that they can pay an inspector to come onto our properties. They say the EU is to blame pity they didn't think of that when they were on their knees begging us to vote yes for Lisbon.

And they will keep loading these stealth taxes on us until people refuse to pay "en masse". will that happen, doubt it, will only happen like before, in the inner city areas. too many gombeen men(and women) in the the countryside brainwashing others that "there is no alternative"!!!

I think your missing the point here.

our water quality is ****e, even though we leave in one of the least populated areas in western Europe. we get ample rainfall and have some amazing countryside which we 'sell' to tourists as pristine and of wondrous natural beauty (and all that BS)

this government legislation and process is been driven by the EU because of our flagrant disregard for environmental laws which we agreed to AND NEED

we had a building boom with way to many buildings in the wrong places which in many cases are too far from areas of the population density required to install proper communal services such as waste, surface water, and even roads! So what are we left with? too many septic tanks that are unfortunately in many cases effecting our waterways and drinking water.

you have options here, IF you live in country install a treatment unit, if you have ample land install a reed bed system, if your a farmer you should already have had the teagas reps out telling you what to do. if you live in a city or town, the council deal with your ****e and you pay them for the privilege.
    I don't see the problem, there's nothing free in this world, not even drinking water! unless you have a well, which you probably have a major filtration system on because your neighbours sceptic tank is polluting it with ****e.

excuse my rant, and ****e puns, I was tired of the negative misdirected comments...

• Registered Users Posts: 46,041 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Please keep comments to an acceptable level. Points can be made without vulgarities.

• Advertisement

Some of us already pay a service charge for septic tank maintenance, why should owning an individual sewerage system be any different from, say owning a car, you wouldn't consider driving a car with rotten tyres would you!

Some of us already pay a service charge for septic tank maintenance, why should owning an individual sewerage system be any different from, say owning a car, you wouldn't consider driving a car with rotten tyres would you!
    I pay for an NCT to ensure my car is roadworthy, I see this as the same thing, a means to regulate and ensure compliance with environmental legislation. Brought in because a certain element of society wont/dont do such things of their own bat.

Muffler, point taken, it wont happen again. Its just I thought there was a separate section for anti government/ revolutionary rhetoric elsewhere on boards..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I pay for an NCT to ensure my car is roadworthy, I see this as the same thing..
    But it's not the same thing, this charge will not ensure your system is working properly, only a continual maintanance programme will do that at a totally seperate cost.

Lets not try to fool ourselves or anyone else here, this is a local government tax.

But it's not the same thing, this charge will not ensure your system is working properly, only a continual maintanance programme will do that at a totally seperate cost.

Lets not try to fool ourselves or anyone else here, this is a local government tax.

That's a worrying thing! A "charge" on top of the maintenance fees would be unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

My understanding is that its to bring us in line with an EU directive.Whats been the norm, here for years is that planning was granted with a septic tank, following a simple percolation test. thereafter no follow up or maintenance requirement, leading to pollution of watercourses etcNow a test is to be put in place, someone has to pay for it, sounds logical it should be the septic tank user.OK it will be collected by Loc Auth, but I would not call it a tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Most of the newer systems have an annual maintenance charge. I would imagine people paying these already will be exempt.

I don't see the problem, there's nothing free in this world, not even drinking water! unless you have a well, which you probably have a major filtration system on because your neighbours sceptic tank is polluting it with ****e.

excuse my rant, and ****e puns, I was tired of the negative misdirected comments...

good to see yuo've already taken the tablets. congratulations...:)

Advertisement