Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor ethernet cable

• 24-06-2011 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Howdy,
    Just wondering if I would need a special outdoor cable for running the internet out to the garage?
    And is there any place to buy a decent length of it?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Pretty much any cable will do. You could get some plastic ducting to be safe. How far will it have to run?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭e-Mo0?

Anyone know where I could get a decent length of it in Kildare/Dublin area? About 50m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Would a wireless solution not be better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Would a wireless solution not be better?

If at all possible and within the ethernet max of 100m, run a cable, cat5 cable does gigabit with no lag.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭tombom112

wesco's in newbridge should have it, any electrical wholesale near you should have it, you can get cat5 outdoor but its alot more expensive, better probaly with a bit of conduit, you should be able to get some off ebay fairly cheap http://shop.ebay.ie/i.html?_nkw=cat5+50m&_sacat=0&_odkw=cat5&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

• Advertisement

Don't get conduit, use hydrodare the black water pipe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

You can buy rolls of it in Maplin. They'll cut you a length.

paulm17781 wrote: »
    You can buy rolls of it in Maplin. They'll cut you a length.

And charge as much as a full box. Go to an electrical wholesalers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you can actually buy ethernet cable designed specifically for use outdoors, but it's not entirely necessary and the extra cost isn't really worth it imho.

i have a 20m run outside of my house (easier than trying to run it inside through the walls) that has been there for a couple of years now without any issues and it's fully exposed to the elements in several places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Had the same in Uni when we chipped in for broadband and had one goin out the window from one room to the next. Dont think there was any issue.

Advertisement