Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

house swapping

Options
  • 24-06-2011 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭

Had never hreally heard of this concept till i read this article today: http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/property-plus/house-swap-a-cheaper-option-for-moving-on-2804857.html

Does it happen much?

Is it a case of its between 2 parties that know each other through friends or something.

And lastly is there a part of any of the property sites yet that you can put out feelers to look for interest in a swap?

In my own case i doubt its a runner even though i have a great apartment in a good location i couldnt see anyone wanting to trade down from a house.... at least i dont think so

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

We are selling at the moment and our estate agent got a call from someone looking to do a swap -the house was much smaller than ours and older we weren't interested

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

I know someone who was selling there apartment and was offered a house that they had an interset in and they had to put cash towards the house i dont think it happens much and that deal did not go ahead not sure why but it does happen but i can bet if it does happen they will be looking for cash with the apartment for a house.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

There used be a loophole in the tax code- whereby you could simply swap property, without incurring stamp duty and/or CGT on the transaction. Unfortunately that was closed off- and if you do a formal swap, that includes transferring ownership of property from one party to another- you incur stampduty for both legs of the transaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭djmcr

http://www.daft.ie/discussions.daft?dcn[forum_id]=9&fr=default

Discussion forum on DAFT where people get in touch with each other. Never looked at it, just seen it on their site

Advertisement