Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non fiction page turner books like Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer?

Options
  • 24-06-2011 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

I generally read fiction but about a year ago I read Into Thin Air and found it a real page turner. I was wondering do people know of any other non fiction books that are page turners?They can be about any subject at all. So far I have ordered Touching the Void by Simpson I think and Under The Banner of Heaven by Krakauer. Any other recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Fermat's Last Theorem - Simon Singh

About the quest to prove a 17th century maths theorem, but reads like a thriller.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Read Measuring the World by Daniel Kehlman recently. Thought it was an interesting read, nothing to write home about, but it's got some rapturous reviews.

What are you interested in? History any good to ye?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭wilmer mclean

Thanks for the replies guys. That book on fermats last therom sounds interesting and has really good reviews. What is the level of maths in the book like? Only did pass in the leaving and never really had an interest in the subject. I don't think I would really be interested in books on history. Did it in college and used to read a history book a week. Even tried getting back into non fiction history books by trying 'lighter' more entertaining ones like 'Stalingrad' by beevor and while I enjoyed it, I didn't find it entertaining or a page turner like' into thin air' or 'a short history of nearly everything' by Bryson which I found excellent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Into Thin Air is sitting at home for years - now I think I'll read it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

I just finished 'No Way Down' by Graham Bowley. It's about the 2008 disaster on K2. Maybe that would interest you?

• Advertisement

Hermy wrote: »
    Into Thin Air is sitting at home for years - now I think I'll read it.

Have to say the premise of Into Thin Air held no interest for me, but literally from the first 50 pages I found it gripping. Im really looking for a book like it on a subject I have no interest in but is brought to life by the author. Really it was like a film or tv series where all I wanted to know was what happens next. Ended up reading it in about two day which for me is very fast.

cailinoBAC wrote: »
    I just finished 'No Way Down' by Graham Bowley. It's about the 2008 disaster on K2. Maybe that would interest you?

By the looks of it I would be interested in it. Think I will read touching the void next, but then really want to move onto a new subject matter. I am awful at just reading one author or one subject matter and just reading everything by them or in the genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Thanks for the replies guys. That book on fermats last therom sounds interesting and has really good reviews. What is the level of maths in the book like?

I was wary myself about buying the book, thought it might be a bit dry, going into details of proofs or whatever, but it's quite the opposite. It's more about the people involved that tried to prove it over the years. The basic problem is very simple to understand, the maths needed to prove it is very difficult, and probably very few people understand it. But Singh does a great job in giving you an high-level view of what's going on. The particular discipline of mathematics isn't very important, it could be physics or biology or even mountain climbing. In this case the mountain being a mathematical one, with someone trying to climb it for the first time.

As an aside, I started reading David Simon's Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets. He's the creator of 'The Wire' and parts of the show were based on it. Haven't read enough to give an opinion yet, but it looks very exciting, that could be another option.

padraig_f wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys. That book on fermats last therom sounds interesting and has really good reviews. What is the level of maths in the book like?

I was wary myself about buying the book, thought it might be a bit dry, going into details of proofs or whatever, but it's quite the opposite. It's more about the people involved that tried to prove it over the years. The basic problem is very simple to understand, the maths needed to prove it is very difficult, and probably very few people understand it. But Singh does a great job in giving you an high-level view of what's going on. The particular discipline of mathematics isn't very important, it could be physics or biology or even mountain climbing. In this case the mountain being a mathematical one, with someone trying to climb it for the first time.

As an aside, I started reading David Simon's Homicide
    : A Year on the Killing Streets
    . He's the creator of 'The Wire' and parts of the show were based on it. Haven't read enough to give an opinion yet, but it looks very exciting, that could be another option.

Yeah I will order it anyway, it sounds a bit like a short history of nearly everything by bryson. Actually have Homicide at home. Just ordered The Devil in The White City, its about the first Chicago worlds fair and a serial killer who was active around the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dots03

I ended up reading a few more books by some of those present during the tragic events in 1996 myself. The Anatoli Boukreev one was interesting, as it's another take on the whole event. If I recall, Into thin air was fairly critical of Boukreev, but there are two sides to ever story, and given the circumstances he found himself in, it is difficult to imagine him having done much more than he outlines in his book. It's definitely worth checking out...

I also read the Beck Wethers account (Left for Dead), which I recall being more of a survivors account, as opposed to a more technical analysis as told by Krakauer and Boukreev. My overwhelming memory of reading the book is thinking...Jesus, how did he survive that. It's a more sobering read than the other two books above, but worth a look for another perspective.

For something completely different, I would also recommend Fast Food Nation, which is a great piece of investigative journalism. A really solid book that constantly amazed and suprised me. Highly recommended.

At the top of my non-fiction list list I would have to put In Cold Blood by Truman Capote however (although some may argue it's not non-fiction). This is probably the best written book I have ever read. The words just flow of the page, it's pure prose that left me really, really impressed. The subject matter didn't particularly interest me before I picked it up, but I couldn't put it once I had started it. 10/10 from me.

• Advertisement

Yeah I have read 'in cold blood' excellent book wouldn't really call it non fiction though probably more of a novel based on fact. Have read a fair few articles on the 1996 expedition, now I really don't know who to believe. You might like to check out the IMAX everest film, it was filmed during the 1996 expedition and gives some more context. The one reason why I like krakauers account is that he never makes himself out to be a hero, and even goes at great lengths to explain how much better then him most of the other mountaineers were and that it was just look that he made it back down.

Advertisement