Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** The GRANTS thread ***

• 25-06-2011 1:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭

One of the necessary documents is proof of the student being resident in Ireland for 3 out of the last 5 years.

What sort of a document is that?!

I don't have anything that proves I have? :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

You could ask for a letter from your school... providing of course you've been in that specific school for the last three years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

You could ask for a letter from your school... providing of course you've been in that specific school for the last three years.

Yes I went there for the 6 years.

Awh shíte! That's a good idea! Brought back my books yesterday and didn't even think of asking! Closed for summer now I think? :cool: Any other ideas? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Yes I went there for the 6 years.

Awh shíte! That's a good idea! Brought back my books yesterday and didn't even think of asking! Closed for summer now I think? :cool: Any other ideas? :confused:
    No they'll still be open more than likely. The office staff in my school work all year around (Or so I think).

No they'll still be open more than likely. The office staff in my school work all year around (Or so I think).

Oh OK I'll pop in on Monday then!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Either letter from school or Junior Cert results and you should be okay.

• Advertisement

Aoifey! wrote: »
    Either letter from school or Junior Cert results and you should be okay.

Oh Junior Cert results? If I photocoppied them and posted it it would be accepted?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Oh Junior Cert results? If I photocoppied them and posted it it would be accepted?
    Pretty sure it has to be the real thing, not a photocopy. I know last year they said my Junior Cert results were okay to use as proof anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Why not send both, just to be sure?

The last thing you want is a grant application getting bogged down while they write back looking for paperwork.

And I wouldn't send original JC results, you might never get them back. Photocopy them, pop into your local Garda station with the original and the copy, and they will stamp / certify it as a genuine copy. Or they used to do that anyway, I presume they still will (only takes 10 seconds).

EDIT: Last year's guidance notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭shefra

When does one apply for grants, before or after leaving cert results?
    Also what grants are available for IT and Unis?
    Thanks

In my county the county council grant application forms aren't even out yet :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭AD61

You can apply for a grant as soon as the forms are available, which should be in the next few weeks (the earlier you apply the earlier you will receive your grant next year). The same grant is available whether you attend an IT or a University.

You don't need to have your L.C. results to apply, but you have to send them in to the relevant authority when you get them. Also you need to send in a form when you accept a course through the CAO.

The grant levels and relevant information are available here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

What about if your unsure of whether your going to Uni or an IT. Do you apply to both the VEC and county council or what is the best thing to do in that situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

aramush wrote: »
    What about if your unsure of whether your going to Uni or an IT. Do you apply to both the VEC and county council or what is the best thing to do in that situation.

Apply to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Apply to both.

Cheers man. I know what I probably asked was common sense but hey, post leaving cert tiredness :P

aramush wrote: »
    Cheers man. I know what I probably asked was common sense but hey, post leaving cert tiredness :P

Nah it's actually a very good question, and one you don't wanna be caught out by!

Be careful if you get a grant though. If you're doing a level 7 course and then transfer to a level 8 course, you don't get the grant for the first year of that course. Or so my Careers teacher tells me :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭achmairt

Hey, don't apply to both. The VEC will send it to the Council if you're going to UNI and vice versa. Hold on to the FA1 form (course acceptance) till u know what college ur going to. When they see where ur going to college, they will either hold on to your form or send it to the relevant authority. This won't hold up your grant as the form will be stamped with the date it arrived and will be assessed along with the forms received on that date by the Council.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 kate747

My first choice is a level 8 course in an institute of technology. Should I apply to my local county council or VEC?

Level 8: County Council
    Level 7: VEC

*EDIT* If you're apply for both levels, apply to both institutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

What's the closing date for applications?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭AD61

Level 8: County Council
    Level 7: VEC

*EDIT* If you're apply for both levels, apply to both institutes.

No, you can only apply to one of them.

According to the Guidance Notes: It is fraudulent to apply for a student grant to more than one local authority or VEC at the same time.

What's the closing date for applications?!
    The closing date is 31 August 2011.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

AD61 wrote: »

The closing date is 31 August 2011.
    eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Thanks..!

Anybody wanna fill in my form?! :P

Advertisement