Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name This RPG!

Options
  • 25-06-2011 6:46am
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Right, in short, I reinstalled Icewind Dale II a couple weeks back and am having a nostalgic replay of it (still awesome to this day).

As I'm there merrily fighting my way through the optional 'battle square' mini-game in the Ice Temple, I was reminded of another RPG a mate gave me in the past of which the name just COMPLETELY escapes me.

It's wrecking my brains so I figure I'll set the challenge forth for Boards - It's up to the community to name the game from whatever small details I can offer.

* PC Platform, Single Player, Pretty Old'ish but not ridiculously ancient.

* 2D Backgrounds with 3D Models (Think Resident Evil, however swap that camera style for isometric top-down, like Baldurs Gate etc - The models where fully 3D)

* May very well be D&D Rules. You could create a party of something like 4-6 characters (Cant remember the number specifically) and the usual race-choices and classes apply. Half-Orcs, Halflings, Half-Elves, Elves, Humans, Dwarves // Fighters, Barbarians, Rogues etc

* It is not Neverwinter Nights, Dungeons & Dragons etc

* Gameplay wise revolved around clicking to move your characters about the map. However, when enemies are sighted on screen, combat begins and is TURN BASED. How far you can move and what actions you can perform could only be done within certain restrictions. If you wanted to move your Fighter to the Enemy, for example, you may have only been able to move X Distance towards it before your turn ends - Actually attacking also took a turn - You don't just run endlessly and whack things as you do, say, Baldurs Gate.

* I remember the starting area being a forest type area and it wouldn't take long before you encounter a Caravan with someone inside screaming for help. Once you fend off whatever was attacking it, you'd meet your first NPC who gave quests and allowed trade. I also specifically remember this game involving mostly underground areas. One specific thing I remember is that as you progress deeper, the "Drow" become a very common enemy. Typical starter enemies are likely Orcs, Goblins and the likes.

Memory of a lot of more helpful details escape me - I do know at some point you have to aid 2x Cleric or Druid types who live in a tree, near to the end of the game.

I honestly can't remember the name of this game.

If you think you know, feel free to put me out of my misery - I'll check YouTube gameplay of any names mentioned - Once I see it, I'll know it's the game.

Comments

Advertisement