Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Things Apple TV2

Options
  • 25-06-2011 6:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭

The last ATV2 thread was closed, I'm guessing because of discussion of how to jailbreak and add add ons that aren't strictly legal? Maybe a mod can confirm and we can avoid any discussion that is against the charter here.

Anyway, further to my problems with the official release of XBMC 10.0.08 which was slowing everything down on me, so much so that I had to roll back to 10.0.07, there has been another newer official release already, 10.0.09.

I've installed this newest version(through nito tv) and it's working much better, no lag on the menus and cover art etc showing up pretty much instantly.

If you update trhrough nito tv, I think the update that is shown as available is 10.0.08 but when you update it updates to 10.0.09.

Hope this thread can stay open and stays active. The last one I found very helpful. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

adox wrote: »
    The last ATV2 thread was closed, I'm guessing because of discussion of how to jailbreak and add add ons that aren't strictly legal? Maybe a mod can confirm and we can avoid any discussion that is against the charter here.

Yep, there was too much discussion on how to obtain copyright material illegally. Let's start fresh with this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Soot-fan

adox wrote: »

Anyway, further to my problems with the official release of XBMC 10.0.08 which was slowing everything down on me, so much so that I had to roll back to 10.0.07, there has been another newer official release already, 10.0.09.

I've installed this newest version(through nito tv) and it's working much better, no lag on the menus and cover art etc showing up pretty much instantly.

If you update trhrough nito tv, I think the update that is shown as available is 10.0.08 but when you update it updates to 10.0.09.

Hope this thread can stay open and stays active. The last one I found very helpful. :)

Looking for xbmc remote control recommendations. I'm using romote lite at the momnet. Considering upgrading to remoteHD. There aren't any reviews in the apps store. Any other recommendations would be welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭gerrymadden1

Hi KJL

I've been away for a week & couldn't wait to try your instructions (see first part below)...

Once again I've fallen at the first hurdle... I downloaded WinSCP no prob, entered the info, connected wirelessly to the ATV2 and got the error message that authentication failed and a password was requested. I tried Alpine without success. Any thoughts???

btw, I've asked this question before but here goes again, any ATV2 experts around Limerick???

In order to do file transfer using windows you use WinSCP
    http://winscp.net/download/winscp433setup.exe

when you have it installed click new and set up the parameters like this

Host Name: Apple-TV.local.
    (or the IP address of the apple tv is you know it. On Eircom it will normally be something like 192.168.1.x where x is a number between 1 and 254, this can be gotten from the network settings on the apple tv menu)

Username: Root
    Password: Alpine
    Port Number: 22
    File Protocol: SFTP

and click login. At this point you must accept the security token, which is fine just accept it and it will launch a file browser (note, if this is the first time using ssh it can take upto 30 seconds to reply)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

sorry, the password is alpine lower case a.

Soot-fan wrote: »
    Looking for xbmc remote control recommendations. I'm using romote lite at the momnet. Considering upgrading to remoteHD. There aren't any reviews in the apps store. Any other recommendations would be welcome.

There is an XBMC remote in the app store that is pretty cool, but only works in XBMC and not outside it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,120 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

just a heads up,

i was having issues with divx encoded files on the newest version, if anyone has similar go into the video menu when the file is playing and turn deinterlacing to off, should sort you out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sarahn11

Recently bought a ATV 2. Delighted with XBMC so far, still a few kinks need to be ironed out, but im getting there!

Looking to find out how i can change the RSS feed on the bottom? in the old thread, someone mentioned there being an RSS editor in the official XBMC repo. However, when i look in there all i see is the jdownloader and two other packages. Anyone know where else i could find it?

Cheers!

kjl wrote: »
    sorry, the password is alpine lower case a.

Doesn't work I'm afraid... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Try a lowercase 'R' for root as well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Cotts

how do you get xbmc to find the files on your pc???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Soot-fan

Thinking of adding a NAS to my network with Atv. So I can store my movies on it. Don't want my pc on all the time.Â*
    I have a 500gb iomega storage device but it doesn't have a LAN connections. Â*Is it possible to add this to a network without using a pc or can it be add if I get a router with a USB hub. I would prefer not to spend much money. Â*
    Any ideas welcome.Â*

Doesn't work I'm afraid... :confused:

can you post a screen shot of the failed connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Bellu

Well, share some cool Apple tv tips, turn to this Apple TV wiki :Dhttp://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/AppleTV_2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

Having a problem jailbreaking my atv2.
    Im using seasonpass and have generated the jailbroken restore.
    My atv is currently on 4.2.1 and restore is 4.2.2.
    I have tried 2 different laptops and 2 cables but get 1601 error on one laptop and 1602 on the other.
    (one laptop has firewall and anti virus disabled)
    I have tried iReb and no difference

Any thoughts?

Gar

getting further down the road.
    managed to finally update the atv2 to 4.2.2
    now when i put the seasonpass restore on it, it errors out with error 21...
    hmm

Just when I was about to give up!!
    Got it going:
    Updated to 4.2.2 (manually downloaded from a link not from itunes as that has a trunkated file)
    Dumped downloaded file into Seas0npass download directory and ran jailbreak.
    then loaded jailbreaked software.
    (Connected directly to my modem as seems to be a problem with going through my router, this always seemed to cause it to fail)

Gar

kjl wrote: »
    can you post a screen shot of the failed connection.

Hello KJL... and so... finally, a couple of lower case letters instead of capitals & on close inspection, a missing full stop at the end of Apple-TV.local. & I was into the shell...

I religiously followed your directions from there & despite a few slip ups, I got [SNIP] installed & running... I even downloaded the movie cover info...

So, I'm almost at the end of my journey... once I install the nightly build...

where do I put the 3 lines of code??

My next question will be where do I find the repository link for sports programmes... but that's for another time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Hello KJL... and so... finally, a couple of lower case letters instead of capitals & on close inspection, a missing full stop at the end of Apple-TV.local. & I was into the shell...

I religiously followed your directions from there & despite a few slip ups, I got [SNIP] installed & running... I even downloaded the movie cover info...

So, I'm almost at the end of my journey... once I install the nightly build...

where do I put the 3 lines of code??

My next question will be where do I find the repository link for sports programmes... but that's for another time...

Please do not discuss methods for pirating copyright material on boards, thanks.

Hi KJL... sorted it... eventually... they appear to have closed / removed the ATV2 thread here so I searched elsewhere & got a step by step tutorial... just what a dummy like me needed... :p

Thanks for you patience & your help... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭RogerThis

they appear to have removed the ATV2 thread here

That makes me sad :(

Also our favourite addon dev has called it a day :(http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=826725&postcount=1601

Sad Monday

• Advertisement

sarahn11 wrote: »

Looking to find out how i can change the RSS feed on the bottom? in the old thread, someone mentioned there being an RSS editor in the official XBMC repo. However, when i look in there all i see is the jdownloader and two other packages. Anyone know where else i could find it?

Cheers!

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on this?? starting to grind my gears :p

Thanks

sarahn11 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on this?? starting to grind my gears :p

Thanks

if you use winscp to ssh into the box, goto var/mobile/library/preferances/xbmc/user data

in that folder there is a file called RSSFeeds.xml

you can open up the file in winscp editor and simply change the the feed address to whatever you like.

Thanks so much for the reply man, worked perfectly!

morning all

just had a thought for when im away on hols etc, obviously my atv2 is ultra portable, my nas not so much.

Is there anyway i could have a few MP4 movies on my iphone or ipad and stream them to the atv2? without having access to a wireless network?

Cyrus wrote: »
    morning all

just had a thought for when im away on hols etc, obviously my atv2 is ultra portable, my nas not so much.

Is there anyway i could have a few MP4 movies on my iphone or ipad and stream them to the atv2? without having access to a wireless network?

Without a wireless network connection you won't be able to connect your apple tv and ipad/iphone. But you could fill the 6gb free space on the apple tv with movies. I know it's not a lot, but maybe better than nothing.

RogerThis wrote: »
    Without a wireless network connection you won't be able to connect your apple tv and ipad/iphone. But you could fill the 6gb free space on the apple tv with movies. I know it's not a lot, but maybe better than nothing.

cheers and if i had wifi?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

hi all
    i might go down this route in the next few days....i can see the benefits of it (have 30gbs of movies that i can play on the PCH a-220 , but not on the apple tv2)

so, is there any risks to breaking it??

thanks
    lk1976

Cyrus wrote: »
    RogerThis wrote: »

cheers and if i had wifi?
    You could use airplay from your ipad

I reckon there is a hot topic on everyones lips here, but we are not allowed to say anything except that, there is a new development team working on it, myself included. Hopefully we will have a fix soon. ETA before Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Hopefully somebody can help me out i'm not sure if it's even allowed to be discussed but need some help.

I used Seas0npass to jailbreak my ATV2 running 4.2.2 (2203) and all was successful. But when I tried to install X**C (Just in case it's not to be mentioned) I kept having problems connecting to my ATV with the ssh. At first it kept giving me one error like cannot be connected and then it kept saying operation timed out. Port 22 mentioned a few times. I've tried and tried and restored and re-jailbroke. Also tried Pwanagetool but it kept telling me I selected the wrong bundle... even though it was the correct one. And also tried Greenpois0n, it said it was jailbroken but infact it wasn't. Just the normal Apple screen options we're available.

I had restored to the original FW each time I tried a different method. Seas0npass seemed to be my best bet but I couldn't get through the Terminal stage.

Very annoying and hoping somebody could shed some light on the issue.

Thanks.

Advertisement