Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Things Apple TV2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

just ordered an aTV2, been out of the ios jb scene for a while since I flogged my ip4, am I correct to assume the latest atv2 FW is jailbreakable ? untethered ! whats latest firmware, Ive read 4.2.2 and 4.3 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

iPwnage wrote: »
    just ordered an aTV2, been out of the ios jb scene for a while since I flogged my ip4, am I correct to assume the latest atv2 FW is jailbreakable ? untethered ! whats latest firmware, Ive read 4.2.2 and 4.3 ?

Yeah 4.2.2 is actually 4.3 it's one in the same. And there is currently an untethered jailbreak out. I've successfully jailbroken mine using Seas0npass.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

kjl wrote: »
    I reckon there is a hot topic on everyones lips here, but we are not allowed to say anything except that, there is a new development team working on it, myself included. Hopefully we will have a fix soon. ETA before Monday.

That was quick. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭pauld

Help! got an atv2 last week fro my birthday. I have it connected to the internet however it the apple software upgrade will not complete, it fails after 10 minutes each time.

I also ordered a movie on itunes via the atv2, payment taken by apple, i have only 25 days left! however when I got to play, it pops up with a message saying there is an error please try later.

how do i get my stav2 to work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

I am thinking of getting an ATV so what are the advantages of jailbreaking it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Help! i've bricked my new ATV2!

I managed to jailbreak with no problems and ssh to it, but while trying to install XBMC using putty i got some error and was advised to run some command (that i cant remember) followed by "--configure -a" which caused the ATV2 to reboot. now i get no picture past the apple logo.

i can still ssh to it, but other than that, nada!

can i fix this without having to restore/rejailbreak?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

pauld wrote: »
    Help! got an atv2 last week fro my birthday. I have it connected to the internet however it the apple software upgrade will not complete, it fails after 10 minutes each time.

Try connecting the ATV to your laptop/computer with a miniusb wire and updating the iOS through iTunes. Should work.
    Nemanja91 wrote: »
    I am thinking of getting an ATV so what are the advantages of jailbreaking it?

Installing XBMC (Xbox Media Centre) [EDIT]. Also Airplay is a great feature to have if you wanna stream videos or music from your iPhone/iPad/Mac.
    Help! i've bricked my new ATV2!

I managed to jailbreak with no problems and ssh to it, but while trying to install XBMC using putty i got some error and was advised to run some command (that i cant remember) followed by "--configure -a" which caused the ATV2 to reboot. now i get no picture past the apple logo.

i can still ssh to it, but other than that, nada!

can i fix this without having to restore/rejailbreak?

I'd say just restore and try again. But try googling your problem to find a few solutions.

done it, restored and installed xbmc via nito with no problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

Quick question about installing XBMC build

Im abroad and I want to try out the latest build. I have no access to a router so can I down load the build to my laptop, ftp it to the atv and run the install script? Or does the ATV require a internet connection at the same time?

after installing the build then give the atv the lan connection?

Cheers

Gar

I'm having trouble running an automated scan on my tv shows that I'm streaming from my home network, I have to manually add each show to xbmc's library. Also I can't enable library mode for my music.

Also streaming can be jittery at times (I'm streaming all SD content) I'm using vodaphone dsl, 5 meg connection with all devices connecting via wifi in the same room

Any tips for the above?

• Advertisement

have you a folder structure added your set up, so xbmc will recognise it

ie: HDD/xbmc/Tv Shows/ Lost/Season 1/ episode xx.....etc
    HDD/xbmc/Movies/ Avatar....etc

add your source in this case i have Movies source and Tv Source

i use IMDb and TVdb as scrapers

then I only have the top two options enabled

and in video library settings on the main settings page, enable automatic update of library

125repd.jpg

streaming will be dodgy unless you have a decent router, if at all possible you want to wire up your atv to source if possible ! i have my external hdd hooked up the the router via usb, and then ethernet the router to apple tv, works like a charm

good luck

Thanks for the reply, my router isn't that decent, it's a bt voyager 2110 that ive used for years. I suppose I should look into the wired/USB router approach or splash out on a nas...

Oh and yes, my media is always neatly organised, I'm OCD about that!

Thanks for the reply, my router isn't that decent, it's a bt voyager 2110 that ive used for years. I suppose I should look into the wired/USB router approach or splash out on a nas...

Oh and yes, my media is always neatly organised, I'm OCD about that!
    +1 on the nas, i was about the fork out for one, when I copped my router had a usb slot ! popped in the hard drive, and now its does the job of a nas ! Im kinda lucky my router is plugged in under the telly, so its all near by for me !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

got my atv2
    turned on today,connected by wifi,checked a movie sample

wont homeshare due to eircom router as far as i can tell from other posts
    cant get greenpoison to do the wild(so i can install some x**c) thing either,its running the program but when i restart the atv its not there

so do i need a different router ?
    would it need ethernet to to connect to a nas server for movies music etc, ?
    the plan was to have movies on server that i should be getting in a few days and access them from atv over wifi ....is there a reason this would not work

getting bogged down here,
    was expecting too much.

is itunes supposed to be running for the green poison thing to work ??

Bit confused by your post sham. I used snowbreeze so I cant help you with greenpoison.

Why would an eircom router prevent homesharing?

In theory once the atv is jailbroken and XBMC installed theres nothing to stop you streaming media from a network share via wifi. Ethernet would be better but wifi should work.

Bit confused by your post sham. I used snowbreeze so I cant help you with greenpoison.

Why would an eircom router prevent homesharing?

In theory once the atv is jailbroken and XBMC installed theres nothing to stop you streaming media from a network share via wifi. Ethernet would be better but wifi should work.
    Ok thanks
    no bother my tech speak/skills are limited and I always seem to run into problems

I'll try snowbreeze

just did a search and discovered the problems eircom routers have with apple products! jesus, am i gald i'm with vodafone for my dsl. how do eircom get away it it? i'd budget for a better router sham, my one is adequate but i've been told one optimised for sharing media would work better.

just did a search and discovered the problems eircom routers have with apple products! jesus, am i gald i'm with vodafone for my dsl. how do eircom get away it it? i'd budget for a better router sham, my one is adequate but i've been told one optimised for sharing media would work better.
    Any recommendations for router ?
    I plan to connect a linkstation nas (its in the post)to the home network also to store and stream my movies etc

I wonder if I moved to vodafone would I receive a new router

I did look into them before but was put off by many other people's experiences of them

Might ring eircom with the same suggestion and see if I can get a different router
    I'm free to move anyway my 12 month contract is up

soundsham wrote: »
    Any recommendations for router ?
    I plan to connect a linkstation nas (its in the post)to the home network also to store and stream my movies etc

I wonder if I moved to vodafone would I receive a new router

I did look into them before but was put off by many other people's experiences of them

Might ring eircom with the same suggestion and see if I can get a different router
    I'm free to move anyway my 12 month contract is up

I've never had any major problems with vodafone and have been with them since they took over BT, and thats over three different addresses. I will say that the router they sent me was muck so i went back to my BT one. i dont know if their newer routers are better.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,120 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

got my atv2

cant get greenpoison to do the wild(so i can install some x**c) thing either,its running the program but when i restart the atv its not there

the plan was to have movies on server that i should be getting in a few days and access them from atv over wifi ....is there a reason this would not work

was expecting too much.

does this help?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=105740

also, re the router, do you have a modem with a router attached? if so just buy any decent wireless router, i can give you the model of the one i have this evening if it helps

• Advertisement

DAMN! that thread would have helped me last week.

Cyrus wrote: »
    got my atv2

was expecting too much.

does this help?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=105740

also, re the router, do you have a modem with a router attached? if so just buy any decent wireless router, i can give you the model of the one i have this evening if it helps
    In that link it says to connect atv via Ethernet

Mine won't be near Ethernet connection in operation, but is it just for the process at the time

6 - Start the ATV2 with the ethernet in, check you got the new tab, update 'nitotv'
    7 - REBOOT by taking it off and back on the mains <<< this is important
    Sorry if that sounds daft I just don't get it

No modem
    Crappy zytel Eircom router
    Might as well pass on that model too
    Thanks very much
    Will try the next hour or so

tried this 3 times not getting the "nito" in the setup screen
    dont know why

tried seas0npass last time and failed

I seem to be doing something wrong around the restore point is all i can think
    as all is ok till then but when i disconnect from computer and plug back into tv nothing different happens

it just starts up as when it was out of the box
    frustrating:confused:......heading to:mad:

the atv is only a few days old
    would it be possible that it has some new update already installed !!

When i did mine with snowbreeze it was nowhere near ethernet. the only confusing part for me was getting the atv into dfu mode. some say you dont need it plugged into the mains, and i cant remember exactly what i did, but i think it was:

plug in usb
    plug in mains
    plug out mains
    hold down menu and play/pause for 7 seconds

then do a shift restore and install the jailbroken firmware.

but i cant be sure. everything else went as planned other than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,120 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

tried seas0npass last time and failed

I seem to be doing something wrong around the restore point is all i can think
    as all is ok till then but when i disconnect from computer and plug back into tv nothing different happens

it just starts up as when it was out of the box
    frustrating:confused:......heading to:mad:

the atv is only a few days old
    would it be possible that it has some new update already installed !!

can you expalin exactly whats happening, it sounds like you arent getting into dfu mode, list the steps and what happens with the atv2 as you go thro them and ill try help

as far as i know i am getting it in dfu mode
    it says to hold both buttons and then release them....etc
    all seems to go to plan and the computer does its thing

itunes is open shift + restore click on the new file and itunes does its thing then
    will try again tonight:rolleyes:

thanks for the help

When i did mine with snowbreeze it was nowhere near ethernet. the only confusing part for me was getting the atv into dfu mode. some say you dont need it plugged into the mains, and i cant remember exactly what i did, but i think it was:

plug in usb
    plug in mains
    plug out mains
    hold down menu and play/pause for 7 seconds

then do a shift restore and install the jailbroken firmware.

but i cant be sure. everything else went as planned other than that.
    http://du103w.dub103.mail.live.com/att/GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=59e19b78-b1fb-11e0-b737-002264c195e2&Aux=14|0|8CE141F442F2260||0|0|0|0||&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Att
    took a quick pic of any on screen messages just in case

did similar
    plug in usb........this powers atv up
    no plugging in of mains
    no plugging out of mains

hold down menu and play/pause for 7 seconds............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

I bought an Apple TV in the USA last week. It's a bit problematic though.

I can get my ATV to see my computer but it randomly loses connection to it and I can only get it back after a power cycle of the ATV.

Along with the above issue, I installed the Apple Remote app on my iPad. I can add the iPad device to iTunes just fine however the Remote app can't find my iTunes library no matter what troubleshooting steps I've tried.

I've also tried DHCP and static IP's and checked for firewall and router rules of which no issues are present.

Anyone able to help with this? It's very frustrating.

• Advertisement

Pyongyang wrote: »
    I bought an Apple TV in the USA last week. It's a bit problematic though.

I can get my ATV to see my computer but it randomly loses connection to it and I can only get it back after a power cycle of the ATV.

Along with the above issue, I installed the Apple Remote app on my iPad. I can add the iPad device to iTunes just fine however the Remote app can't find my iTunes library no matter what troubleshooting steps I've tried.

I've also tried DHCP and static IP's and checked for firewall and router rules of which no issues are present.

Anyone able to help with this? It's very frustrating.

How are you connecting? ethernet? wifi?

is your router in the same room? if not are the walls/ceilings in your house thick? is there a microwave close to the router? even if its the other side of a wall? all these things can cause wifi problems.

I'm assuming you have homesharing switched on and you sign in to all devices with the same ID?

Advertisement