Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Things Apple TV2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

soundsham wrote: »
    Don't know generally just load em up from ice....s and off they go some work others don't
    Didn't know I should be looking at any other criteria

I think the lads are on about filles on their computers that they are streaming to their apple tv's, not using a plug-in!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

its weird though, it doesnt matter where i'm getting the files from, some shows/movies just keep glitching. small price to pay though.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Soot-fan

Thinking for buying one of these to store my files. http://amazon.co.uk/dp/B001FNYWFU
    Has anyone used one these with an apple tv. Do I need to have a pc on at the same time.
    I'm looking for a stand alone NAS that I can access remotely and link directly to my apple tv and other apple products.

Can anyone recommend something similar

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Anyone know if you can buy an adapter to hook atv2 up to a non Hd tv ?

I wouldn't imagine so!

HD signals are much different to standard tv signals(Coax, scart)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Anyone know if you can buy an adapter to hook atv2 up to a non Hd tv ?
    HDMI-to-SCART.jpg

We can't discuss that here, but google is your friend...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Today I just realised the greatness of atv2 and a certain xbmc addon . Never worked for me properly but a force refresh and check for updates fixed it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Today I just realised the greatness of atv2 and a certain xbmc addon . Never worked for me properly but a force refresh and check for updates fixed it :)

Is that add-on very cold ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Has anybody found an accessory to hook this up to an Analog amp (red and white inputs)?

Bit of a dealbreaker to me - have a NAD amp and would like to use the Apple TV for music through my home stereo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Has anybody found an accessory to hook this up to an Analog amp (red and white inputs)?

Bit of a dealbreaker to me - have a NAD amp and would like to use the Apple TV for music through my home stereo.

Like this? http://vinnycoyne.tumblr.com/post/1556376978/using-apple-tv-2-on-older-hdtvs

vinnycoyne wrote: »

Thanks Vinny!

Got me thinking - sure my TV has analog output - so TV can pass audio from Apple TV to amp!!! (Need to check whether WE7 app supports Airplay now).

Only drawback being that I need to have tv on when listening to music! No big deal, and good to know there is a convertor out there, albeit slightly expensive.

With with the features of IOS 5, and having both iphone and ipad, might as well add the Apple TV - at least it's a good price!!!

I know Snoot-fan had a similar question, but gonna fire this out anyhow!

Looking for recommendations for a NAS, that has usenet and bittorrent client?
    Would like to upload usenet/torrent files to NAS via iphone/ipad - leave the NAS download, and then play through Apple TV.

If the above is possible, I can retire my popcorn hour and 7 year old laptop.

Or - maybe use the Popcorn Hour device as my NAS .. Mmm

Am thinking that all the above is feasible bar the uploading of torrent/usenet file from iphone/ipad???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I'm pretty sure there's a NAS out there that would fit the bill but you might be better off building a low cost PC to use as a server maybe based on a miniITX motherboard to keep running costs down. Much more flexible than a NAS. In fact I've built one to use with my revo running XBMC. Sure it probably cost more than the average NAS but is much more expandable (just about to go from 3 to 5 terabytes!)

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

All,

A few quick questions about the ATV2. The trusty Xbox (and me along with it) are being banished to a smaller room so I'm wondering about getting one of these to play stuff on the telly in the main room.

Will the ATV2 stream from a Time Capsule or does it need to go through Itunes? If so either way I gather it'll only show mp4 (no avi) unless Jailbroken?

If I buy one today is the current OS jail-breakable?
    If I can jailbreak it will the apple remote still work with the ATV2?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

Whats the add-on ? Are we not allowed to discuss it here ? PM if you can't mention here.

Thanks.

bigfeller wrote: »
    All,

A few quick questions about the ATV2. The trusty Xbox (and me along with it) are being banished to a smaller room so I'm wondering about getting one of these to play stuff on the telly in the main room.

Will the ATV2 stream from a Time Capsule or does it need to go through Itunes? If so either way I gather it'll only show mp4 (no avi) unless Jailbroken?

If I buy one today is the current OS jail-breakable?
    If I can jailbreak it will the apple remote still work with the ATV2?

Cheers!

Can't answer your time capsule question but AirPlay typically works through iTunes home sharing.

As for the rest of your questions, yes, yes and yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

Excellent. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Thinking about buying an apple tv and I'm just wondering what kind of plug-ins and add-ons are available? Any to do with movies or sport I'd be interested in.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    Thinking about buying an apple tv and I'm just wondering what kind of plug-ins and add-ons are available? Any to do with movies or sport I'd be interested in.

Thanks

Google is your friend. XBMC can be installed after a jailbreak and you cam stream your media through your local network.

If you are talking about online streaming services for movies and sport, well they are available, but are not legal so can not be discussed here.

• Advertisement

So I went ahead an bought and apple tv 2, I just must find a cable to jailbreak it but in the meantime is there any way of having my iMac on sleep and have the apple tv itunes still working?

Thanks

So I went ahead an bought and apple tv 2, I just must find a cable to jailbreak it but in the meantime is there any way of having my iMac on sleep and have the apple tv itunes still working?

Thanks

Once iTunes is open on your mac the Applle TV should see it. I presume that's what you are talking about, accessing your Macs iTunes library on your ATV2?

adox wrote: »
    Once iTunes is open on your mac the Applle TV should see it. I presume that's what you are talking about, accessing your Macs iTunes library on your ATV2?

Computer should be on, iTunes should be on, home sharing should be on and all devices connected to your home network. If macs are anything like pc's there should be an option to keep the mac on if the lid is closed.

adox wrote: »

Ya that's what I mean but I am looking to keep the apple tv working cause once I put the iMac to sleep it disconnects from iTunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

ATV2 crashed on me during a video add on procedure earlier, I had to restore the ATV2 through the PC, green poison isn't jailbreaking the ATV for me, I have tried it loads of times.

Can I jail break if I update the software to the latest version of 4.3?

If not are there any other Windows based solutions out there?

So I have the ATV jailbroken now and have NitoTV and XBMC installed, I have found guides online to show me how to get Liveonlinefooty on the ATV but can't understand them so can anyone explain how to do it?

Thanks

You need a program to get the files over.

I use cyberduck myself, ssh through cyberduck to your apple tv2, and place the zip file for your add-on in to the required folder in /var.

How would I go about getting cyberduck, would I have to plug the ATV back into my computer so?

How would I go about getting cyberduck, would I have to plug the ATV back into my computer so?

Cyberduck is free to download. You dont need to connect your ATV2 to your computer again once its jailbroken. You access the file system on your ATV2 through Cyberduck and can place files in there and then go in to your ATV2 and unzip them there.

Its sounds complicated but its not. I`m not very tech savy and have managed to add whatever add ons I want.

I`d suggest either Google or youtube for a walk through of what to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭nulabert

I've a WDTV Live and a LG smart TV which runs plex for streaming movies from the computer to the TV. Do I need an Apple TV?

Advertisement