Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spousal / Fiancee Visa questions

Options
  • 25-06-2011 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi

I know there has been a lot of questions about this previously and I have read through them. We are looking to move to the states in a year or so and want to make sure we follow the process correctly.

I believe I understand the options however, I have one remaining question. There is a requirement to show that my partner is able to support me however she will still be doing her masters full-time. How do we get around this issue?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

You have three options:
    - If it is just you and her, the income required is just under $19'000; some students will have part-time jobs that make this much.
    - Sponsor on assets; your US citizen fiancee would need three times the income required in liquid assets, such as savings, second car, 401K etc. If you are married and applying for the spousal visa, your assets can be combined with hers.
    - Find a co-sponsor; a US citizen or greencard holder living in the USA who will stand guarantoor for you. This is a big comittment and the person would need to furnish you with 3 years tax returns and paystubs, not everyone will be swilling to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 buttskids

Thanks for the reply! much appreciated

silja wrote: »
    You have three options:
    - If it is just you and her, the income required is just under $19'000; some students will have part-time jobs that make this much.
    - Sponsor on assets; your US citizen fiancee would need three times the income required in liquid assets, such as savings, second car, 401K etc. If you are married and applying for the spousal visa, your assets can be combined with hers.
    - Find a co-sponsor; a US citizen or greencard holder living in the USA who will stand guarantoor for you. This is a big comittment and the person would need to furnish you with 3 years tax returns and paystubs, not everyone will be swilling to do that.
    I need a bit of clarification on the last one. Does the US citizen need to be living in the States? What happens if they are working for an american company overseas, but still filing tax returns in America.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

They need to reside in the USA. That does not mean they need to be inside the USA 24/7/365. If they are still officially resident in the USA and filing tax as a resident, you should be ok. If they are filing taxes as a non-resident, you'd need to find someone else.

Cheers for clarification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

I was in the same situation when we were getting my visa......my wife was living with me in ireland and could not show sufficient us funds to meet the support requirements.

Her parents agreed to be co-sponsors, there was just one extra form for them to fill out and sign and we needed their previous 3 years tax returns. There is no requirement on them to put forward any money.

Advertisement