Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help needed choosing small boat

• 25-06-2011 10:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Hi all. I was looking for some advice. I have never owned a boat before and want to buy something small and easy to transport, manage etc for fishing mostly on lakes. I presume a boat for the sea needs to be a whole lot more robust. It would be great to be able to go out a bit in the sea too. Basically I wanted to know if it's necessary to get a license to use the boat- I know this would be necessary for private lakes etc. Also I was wondering if people had suggestions on what's a good make/ design for this purpose. And any other tips? Sorry but I can find so little on the net about it cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi Ironmaiden, I take it you are talking about a boat with an engine if so and it's 15 hp or bigger you should register with WI http://www.waterwaysireland.org/index.cfm/section/article/page/BoatRegistration It's free and they will send you out an info pack. As you have never had a boat before you should think about doing a powerboat course http://www.powerboatschool.ie/ this will give you the basic skills in working a boat with a motor "not powerboat racing" as you might think.
    As for the type of boat maybe something like this http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/2157356 Remember a boat is only as good as it's engine so try and spend your money on a good one and if you can buy from a dealer that will vouch for the engine.
    Best of luck. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Ironmaiden11

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Out of the 3 of them I would go for the first one but loose the windshield as it will act like a sail :D
    The second one has very shallow sides not great for the sea.
    The last one is ok but with only a 4hp not great for the sea when you are pushing tide, wind and current. If you are going to use it on coastal waters look for a boat with a main engine and a backup engine.

Very happy to get your mail. Thanks alot!
    Just wondering, what strength of engine would I need to get for the first boat?
    It's measured in hp right?
    This kind of boat, do you keep it in the water or only have it in the water when you are taking it out ? And I presume you need to launch it from some sort of a pier? As you can see I am clueless but keen to learn!
    You are very good to give me your time,

You are right to ask as many questions that you can think of now instead of wishing you asked them later :D
    The engines are measured in HP "horse power" and for the sea depending on the size of the boat a 10-15 hp with a 5 hp auxiliary would be a good starting point. Also if you are going to use it at sea you should do a VHF and navigation course http://www.vhf.ie/ the sea has a lot more variables than the lakes and things can change very quick like a bank of fog coming on top of you leaving you blind to whats around you :eek: so it's handy to have the VHF and GPS as your back up.Also buy your self a good life jacket with a crotch strap to stop it coming up over your head,if you get some with the boat bring them to a marine shop and ask them to check the gas cylinders before you use them.
    These boats are mostly trailer boats but can be kept on a sheltered mooring and can be launched from the slipway at any harbour. You will have to check the towing power of your car in your manual but I think you will be ok with boats this size. Launching a boat can be a bit tricky if you are not used to reversing a trailer so a bit of practice before you get to the slip is a good idea as other boaters have very little patients when waiting to launch.:D When at the slip make a note to always check the bung plug it's a drain at the back of the boat and without it you will sink like many others :eek:
    If you can try and get someone that knows boats and engines to help you look for a boat and then take you out for a few trips starting on inland water it's a lot safer.:)

Another one might be worth a look.http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/2288315

• Advertisement

Hi,
    Again you have been most helpful. The link to the boat in Wexford was also useful. This boat looks nice. I think maybe it's easier to get a nicer boat if you go out of Dublin area.
    I also saw an inflatable boat with engine. I know nothing about them. Are they any good at all do you know?
    I will persist with my looking and let you know what I decide on.
    Thanks again for your help,
    Most appreciated
    Ironmaiden

The inflatable boats "ribs" are great trailer boats and easy to work with, you also don't need a big engine to push them along, for the sea you would have to look for one with a fiberglass V hull as they are a lot more stable but as they are so popular they hold there value well. It could be just me but for some reason fishing hooks and blowup boats just don't belong together :D

V hull
    AlpineBlueGreyMrPugh1.jpg

Flat hull

Inflatable-Sports-Boat-Inflatable-Rib-Boat-Inflatable-Canoe-LT-B-522--2893152943.jpg

Advertisement