Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Orchestra 2 : Heroes of Stalingrad (PC)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

As you may have noticed, this past saturday you downloaded a patch for RO 2.

The changelog is as follows:

- fixed DDE content being awarded when it should/shouldn't be
    - fixed RO1 content being awarded when it should/shouldn't be
    - fixed the server browser not responding after disconnecting from a game
    - removed MKB/AVT from Squad Leaders/Commanders, only Assault gets it now
    And an update released yesterday included an undocumented change:
    - improved performance for the Ultra setting

We are working on another patch that will likely come out this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭blaa85

Got stuck into the online earlier after giving single palyer a bash the last few days. I must have got 2 kills in the space of hour, and I'd rather not find out how many times I've died!

Edit: Getting better, but the sound always cuts out on changing map, if I get lucky on 1, if definately cuts out the next time. I noticed it was already said in the thread, any fixes for this yet? Google search didn't fet me far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

bugged ta feck

Anyone thinking of getting this, if I had a do over, I would hold off for a few more patches

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Wossack wrote: »
    bugged ta feck

Anyone thinking of getting this, if I had a do over, I would hold off for a few more patches

Remember the patches are coming think and fast, 2 since Saturday gone.
    Only bugs ive seen in the 3 weeks im playing beta then full game is 2 crashes,no crashes since release last week.
    I can live with that and indeed any other bugs because the game is just so rewarding and fun imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭blaa85

I'm loving the online now, won't get a chance to play it again till tomorrow, but I'm going to try me hand at squad leader. I found if I don't touch anything at the end of a map (checking stats, voting), the sound will be ok. The only thing annoying me is that it's not recording me stats.

Yet another patch tonight, fair play to them in fairness,working hard to address issues asap.

A required update for RO2 has been released. Changes include:

- Fixed a bug where all sound would sometimes cut out when the map changes
    - Various crash fixes for server and client
    - Client performance optimizations
    - Single Player Fix - fixed "double music" playing when loading the game from a checkpoint
    - Added the ability to enable webadmin through the commandline. This will allow you to override what is in the ini files, thus fixing up any issues with inis getting overwritten by updates. To enable webadmin via the commandline add EnableWebAdmin=True to the "?" separated commandline parameters. To set the webadmin port add WebAdminPort=<DesiredPort> to the "?" separated commandline parameters.

As usual it does not fix anything it doesn't say it fixes, nor will it make you more attractive to the opposite sex

As a heads up, we are continuing to work on the following:
    - VOIP
    - Stats
    - Crashes
    - Optimization

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I don't get why they didn't sort this out before hand. Did they do no testing?

It seems obvious to say that the damage done by a product unfit for release can't be easily undone by multiple patches. Look at Brink. Yet this happens time and time again. Is their some contractual agreement that developers absolutely have to release or else their fingernails will be pulled?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Meirleach

It seems obvious to say that the damage done by a product unfit for release can't be easily undone by multiple patches. Look at Brink. Yet this happens time and time again. Is their some contractual agreement that developers absolutely have to release or else their fingernails will be pulled?
    I'm guessing there was some sort of internal pressure to get it out before BF3 or BF3 beta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

The window for releasing games these days without running into a major competitor is extremely small. Considering that unless you have millions of quid and thousands of people working you your product is probably going to end up rushed regardless if you set a release date or not. Tripwire weren't going to delay their game into October and then consequently loose a giant chunk of sales thanks to BF3. The got it out in the best condition they could (remember the game had already been delayed to Sept).

You can't keep flogging money into a pit without getting something in return it's just bad business. Gaming is a odd industry in the sense that your product can actually get better over time and Tripwire will probably make up half of their current sales next time the game is on a Steam sale anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

aye, i only bought the game because battlefield 3 wasn't out for another month and the videos I saw of it looked pretty interesting
    if it wasn't out until october, I wouldn't have bothered at all and would have just waited for bf3

aye, i only bought the game because battlefield 3 wasn't out for another month and the videos I saw of it looked pretty interesting
    if it wasn't out until october, I wouldn't have bothered at all and would have just waited for bf3

Each to their own mate but im delighted with my purchase but then again i admit to being an RO fanboy :)
    As it is right now the game is immensely enjoyable as a multiplayer fps to me.
    I wouldnt even bother with single player, this is a thoroughbred PC multiplayer fps.
    TW are passionate about the game unlike most devs,yet another patch lastnight which has solved performance and stability issues for a lot of people.
    It really comes down to taste, if you want a tactical and realistic experience and/or love WW2 this is the game for you.
    If your of the latest cod games generation you need to adjust,no run and gun arcadey gameply here.
    If you want somewhere in between then BFBC2 and BF3 should suit.
    RO2 is different ,its unique,its gritty,authentic,very immersive ,its realistic [which to some is not fun] although not as much as the last game Red Orchestra Ostfront.
    The game is tough compared to your typical fps of today,this is old school pc fps gaming,its so rewarding,stick with it and like any game new players will get better and better thus enjoy whats on offer more.
    As always it boils down to taste :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Dcully wrote: »
    If your of the latest cod games generation you need to adjust,no run and gun arcadey gameply here.

Ofcourse if your playing on the smallest and tightest map in the game which suits automatics and playing the firefight mode ie team deathmatch you will ofcourse see gameplay like this, everyone knows the MKB is overpowered especially on such a map, thankfully its the only really tight/smalll map.
    Also in territory mode which is what 90% of people play there are class limits to restrict such weapons, and rumours of further restrictions incoming.

It'd be a bit less unbalanced if they unnerfed the ppsh. Last patch helped a good bit though, giving the allies more reinf on certain maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

Finally bought this for 18 euro, looking forward to playing it tonight.
    Graphically much better than I thought and a great feel to the weapons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Stevo105

Spunge wrote: »

This guy should have died in the hallway by the stairs he must be playing on a realistic mode server.

this game is full on brown alert on a realistic server...no player tags(even your own team)/guns kill with one shot :) great game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Shy_Dave! wrote: »
    Finally bought this for 18 euro, looking forward to playing it tonight.
    Graphically much better than I thought and a great feel to the weapons.

Where did you get it for €18? Interested in picking this up (was very happy with Killing Floor)

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

g2play, they email you a picture of the CD-key. Seems safe. :p
    Up to 19.99 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

On sale at Zavvi for £14.85, works out just over €18 with postage.

http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/pc/red-orchestra-2-heroes-of-stalingrad/10528577.html?awc=2549_1317307979_e4de80a026f32c342f92777b65f99f89&affil=awin

Tempted by this but I'm reluctant to buy as my gaming time will be at a premium in a few week's time with everything else coming out.........

• Advertisement

Achtung!

Attention comrades, especially those of you having stats and sound issues, the beta of RO2 is available again, with fixes for those issues, but they need some mass testing.

So if you aren't too disgusted with tripwire, here's the thread :P

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=68091

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Honestly its a good game but its essentially a BF3 filler. No doubt I'll be back on RO2 when the BF3 Beta ends but once its retail release, I'm gone :P

I do highly recommend this game regardless.

I wouldnt be surprised if you see it on a steam sale for a tenner or something in a few months. Well worth it then, when they hopefully fixed the game more and when one may have got sick of BF3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Im very disappointed with this game.

Its a great game... when you get it working.

The player numbers say it all, Almost 10k players launch week, now down to 2.5k avg 2 weeks after release.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

77 Metascore on Steam. I might wait till a Steam sale before I commit.

Manach wrote: »
    77 Metascore on Steam. I might wait till a Steam sale before I commit.

I've played the crap out of it, nearly 100 hours. And i was surprised how good the reviews were tbh, considering all the bugs and performance issues. I think the reviewers saw it as a fresh FPS experience, for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Stevo105

Honestly its a good game but its essentially a BF3 filler. No doubt I'll be back on RO2 when the BF3 Beta ends but once its retail release, I'm gone :P

Played the BF3 Beta. its just run and gun COD cr@p. Its more like BFBC3 than BF2/BF3. To me its a more like an expensive DLC for BFBC2.

I'll stick to RO2 where the guns work and people dont have bullet proof faces :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Upcoming Fixes
    We've also been actively running the stand alone beta build of the game to identify and fix stats and achievement issues. If all goes well we believe we will have this wrapped up soon.

So in summary here is what you can expect:
    1) Graphical Improvements in some lighting conditions
    2) Improved performance in nearly every map
    3) Stats/achievements systems fixed
    4) Fix of the sound loss on map change (again... this time with feeling)
    5) Several minor performance enhancements in code

At the same time we will likely roll out our next update of the SDK for those who have it, fixing a few more issues (the highlight being Play In Editor).

The timing of when this update rolls out largely depends on how our testing of the stats system goes in the beta build. When we push out the next update for it, we would appreciate your help hammering at it. See you on the fron

Stat reset incoming, and after I worked so hard to get the drum mag for the ppsh :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Experienced a crash in game, closed it down and tried starting it up again, no joy :(

I've re-installed it twice and its still not getting passed the initial icon on desktop. Nothing has changed since it was running last. Any ideas?

Advertisement